|Birthplace:||Saint-Malo, Bretagne, France|
|Death:||Died in Saint-Malo, Bretagne, France|
Son of Jacques Jamet Cartier and Giseline Jansert
|Occupation:||Navigateur, explorateur; sailor, explorer, sea captain, master pilot, explorer of St. Lawrence R.|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Jacques Cartier
About Jacques Cartier
- Location info: Bretagne, France (birth,death)
- Wikipédia (français)
- Wikipédia (English)
- Quebec History, Marianopolis College
- Postes Canada a émis sept timbres en l'honneur de Cartier de 1855 à 1984.
- LE JEUNE, L., « Jacques Cartier », dans Dictionnaire Général de biographie, histoire, littérature, agriculture, commerce, industrie et des arts, sciences, mours, coutumes, institutions politiques et religieuses du Canada, Vol. 1, Ottawa, Université d'Ottawa, 1931, 862p., pp. 313-314.
- About Saint-Malo: Do not add "Ille-et-Vilaine" to the location. Ille-et-Vilaine is a departement that was created only in 1790.
- About date of birth: Jacques' actual date of birth has been an enduring controversy. Historians now agree that he was born between June7 and December 23, 1491. (Source: Le Jeune)
- Jacques Cartier was commissioned by King Francis I of France to go to The New World. On June 24, 1534, Cartier (with three ships) landed in what is now Canada (the Gaspe Peninsula), planted a cross there, and claimed the land for France.