|Birthplace:||Dover, Strafford County, New Hampshire, Colonial America|
|Death:||Died in Bocabec, Charlotte County, New Brunswick, Canada|
|Place of Burial:||Bocabec, Charlotte, New Brunswick, Canada|
Son of Isaac Hanson and Susanna Canney
|Managed by:||Gordon James Boyd|
Matching family tree profiles for John Hanson
About John Hanson
Isaac Hanson's mother was Sarah Canney, not Sarah Horne.
He was the founder of the Hanson family in and around New Brunswick, Canada.
DAR A 051288 , Pvt. Mass. All direct descendants are eligible for membership in the DAR and SAR.
This was the John that served one week in the American Revolutionary Army and was allowed his discharge and eventually settled in New Brunswick, Canada.
(5) John Hanson, son of Isaac and Susanna (Canney) Hanson was born at Dover, N. H. A petition quoted later, states that in 1816 he was 78 years of age, making his birth date 1738; Mr. Dan Hanson in his notes give the date of his birth as 1739 and Mr. Ralph Perkins as 1748. He died probably about 1820 at Bocbec, N. B., Canada. The last property transaction in his name is dated 29 September 1818.
He married Elizabeth Clark, daughter of William and Ruth (Goodwin) Clark of Berwick, Maine, date of birth unknown. She was baptized "Deliverance" in the Berwick First Church Records 5 October 1748, but appears as "Betty" on all Berwick records thereafter.
John Hanson and his wife are buried on the Lane in Lower Bocabec, New Brunswick, on what was called the Crow Place formerly owned by John Hanson and later by his son William, who sold to Crow. Mr. Daniel G. Hanson of St. Andrews has recently purchased this burying lot from the present owner (no year given). Mrs. James Holt of Lower Bocabec, states there were more graves in this burying groung, but did not know who the persons were.
In the records of the Soldiers and Sailors in the War of the Revolution, there appear these records:
Hanson, John, Gouldsborough, Private, Captain Samuel Libbey's C. detachment from Co. Benjamin Foster's Regiment. Enlisted 29 September 1777-Desc. (discharged?) 6 October 1777. Service 7 Days, Machias.
Hanson, Isaac - Gouldsborough. Private, Captain Samuel Libbey & S Company detachment Benjamin Foster's Regiment, enlisted 8 September 1777, discharged 6 October 1777. Service, 1 month, 4 days at Machias.
Since the above Isaac Hanson is known to have been a brother of John (5), from records of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and John (5) was a resident of Gouldsborough in 1770 and family tradition states that he served for a short time in the Revolutionary Forces, might not the John above be John (5)? In that event, these men would be brothers, serving in the same company from the same community. (I've added Isaac as possibly son of Isaac and brother of John. jwhb)
John Hanson, 1739, died 1820, married Elizabeth Clark, daughter of William Clark of Berwick, Maine. Native of Marblehead, MA. In Gouldsborough, Maine, 1777, enlisted in Capt. Samuel Libby's Company, Continental Army. Served a few days, then left in a whale boat with two others (Turner and Baldwin), stopped at Campbello Island for a short time, then settled and made a home on Minister's Island, near St. Andrews. At the close of the Revolutionary War, he went back and brought his family, except the eldest boy Isaac from Castine, Maine, with the other Loyalists who had been gathered there by the British authorities, to his home on Minister's Island. This Island was, after the setlement at St. Andrew's, granted to Captain Osborne of the British Frigate "Ariadne", who was stationed in St. Andrew's Bay the year of the settlement. He moved to and spent a time at Birch Cove, then to the Crow place where he was buried. In his early life he was a soldier in the colonial army and was under Wolfe at Quebec. (Ref. Records, Daniel Hanson, St. Andrews, N. B. )
John Hanson fought against the French in the "War of the Conquest" and was at the siege of Quebec. When the Revolutionary War broke out, he was drafted into the Rebel Army, as were many who were known to be in sympathy with the mother-country. He and a few others escaped and made their way in a canoe along the coast of Maine and landed on Campbello Island. He stayed there until after the peace when he joined his family, which was sent to St. Andrews by the British Government. For his services in the French and Indian Wars, and for his loyalty during the Revolutionary War, he was given the Island now known as "Minister's Island". He built a house on this island. He afterwards parted with this property and moved up to the mouth of the Bocabec River. He used to tell his sons that during his many campaigns against the French, he was never, with one exception, moved to pity for his foes or remorse for his own deeds. That one occasion was never referred to by him without the greatest emotion. His party numbering about fifty, surrounded a company of Indians and drove them on a frozen lake. The Indians fought savagely, but the band of colonists, remembering the tortures of loved ones and hearing in fancy the dying screams of their children, were determined to win. In a short time not a warrior was left alive, --all, with the exception of an Indian woman and her child, were lying dead in the snow. The terrified squaw sank to her knees, and with her arms around the little papoose begged in her native tongue for a quarter. John Hanson dropped his gun, overcome with the horror at the terrible carnage and with pity for the poor savage mother. A soldier behind, however, made the brutal remark that he never gave a quarter to an Indian and in another instant the mother and child were crimsoning the snow with their life blood. (Ref. -Manuscript, entitled "The Story of the Brave Loyalists", believed by Mr. Daniel Hanson of St. Andrews to have been written by his aunt, Miss Addie Hanson. It consists mostly of biographical sketches. Its source is unknown, but many of the sketches are almost work for work the same as those in Sabines.)
"North of Grand Manan, the Island of Campbello was partly settled by Loyalists, a few of whom remained but a short time. At the opening of the Revolution, John Hanson, a native of Marblehead, MA, came to the island in a whaleboat, only to pass on to Minister's Island, where he settled." (Quotation from "The Exodus of the Loyalists from Penobscott to Passamaquoddy" by Wilbur H. Siebert, A. M., p. 35.
A petition made to Governor Carleton of N. B., received 3 March 1785, states that John Hanson and Ephraim Young were comfortably situated at Gouldsborough where their loyalty and attachment to the Crown of Great Britain, they were obliged to leave the same together with considerable property, to avoid taking up arms against his Majesty and seek a Habitation among the Loyalist subjects of Nova Scotia. That on their arrival in Passamaquoddy they began a settlement on Chamcook Island, then unclaimed by any person and after Six Years Constant Labour (two years of which they went under the greatest distress having large families and no provisions, being obliged to subsist on shell fish and whatever they could procure with their guns.) Have cleared and brought to perfection a great part of the said Island so as to render them a necessary substance, they therefore most humbly implore that they be given a grant of the Island. Mr. Pagan estimated fifteen acres to be cleared; Mr. Limeburner, twice that amount. The Petition was read in Council, 29 March 1785. A prior application had been made, but they were to be considered for their improvements was the decision. (Ref. -No. 30, Vol. 27, Crown Lands Office, Fredericton, N. B.)
Another Petition by Ephraim Young, 20 July 1785, states that "John Hanson has sold his improvements upon said Island (Chemcook) to Captain Samuel Osborne". (Ref. -No. 50, Vol. 27, Crown Lands Office, Fredericton, N. B.)
Another Petition, 5 June 1785, to Governor Carleton, by John Hanson, Sr., Ephraim Young, John Hanson, Jr., William Hanson and Stephen Hanson, repeats the experiences in settling Chemcook Island and adds that "John Hanson and Ephraim Young, having no grant of the Island, gave up their claim to John Curry, Esq., for a consideration agreed upon between them, they being in Mr. Curry's debt.
"The Petition further states that after leaving the Island, they (John Hanson and Ephraim Young) each bought 100 acres of land on Chemcook Bay and when John Hanson, Jr., William Hanson, and Stephen Hanson attained the age of 21, they each purchased 100 acres on Chemcook Bay. Since theyhave never received any grant from the government they now ask for grants of a Tract of land in the neighborhood of their Farms, back in the Country about three miles distant where there is a location for a saw mill and good land for farming. Their five families consist of nineteen persons besides the Petitioners. They therefore petition for Lots 17, 18, 24 and 25, Letter C of Back Lands, stating they have purchased title from Benjamin Pomeroy and Lachlen McCurdy, who drew lots 24 and 25 and state that James Stewart and John Dowling who drew Lots 17 and 18 have left the county and never became permanent settlers.........In Council, 5 July 1793, it was decided that the above applicants be considered as first applicants for adjacent lands in the rear of the present farms, sufficient to make an addition of 200 acres to each lot. (Ref. -No. 179, Vol. 28, Crown Lands Office.)
Joel Bonney and John Hanson, petition for the regranting of a block of 550 acres, each in Bocabec, on the west side of the Digdeguash River at Falls Brook, 2 November 1816. The petition states that John Hanson is 78 years old, is married, and has now lived and settled in the neighborhood, has eleven married sons and daughters, 105 grandchildren, and 38 great grandchildren, making a family of 156 and can assert with Truth that he and his descendants have cleared and improved more wilderness land than any family in the county. He served in British Provincial Army with Bonney and for the same period, 1757-1763, as a private and Non-commissioned officer. Petition signed at St. Andrew's, 2 November 1816. Request complied with, 8 March 1817. The portion of the petition dealing with Joel Bonney states he was with General Wolfe at the Taking of Quebec. (Since John Hanson and Joel Bonney were in the same army for the same period it is presumed that John Hanson was also at Quebec. Ref. -No. 518, Vol. 31, Crown Lands Office.)
REAL ESTATE TRANSACTIONS
11 Feb. 1786, John Hanson bought from John Andrews Tower of St. Andrews, Lot #3 of the Penobscot Association Grant between Passamaquoddy Bay and Bocabec Lake. A mortgage to Tower
is recorded on the same date.
24 Sep. 1795, John Hanson sold to Patrick Callahan, 200 acres, Block 4, East side of Magaguadavic River (given to grantor by Edmond Berry in his last will). For one cow, value 6£s.
5 Mar. 1802, John Hanson, Sr. and...................Hanson, wife, for 100 £s, sold to Wm. Hanson Lot #3 of the Penobscott Assn. Grant.
5 Mar. 1802, John Hanson, Sr. bought from William Hanson and wife, Dorcas, Lot #10, Penobscott Assn. Grant, north side of Passamaquoddy.
10 May 1806, John Hanson bought from Goodall and Turner, 2000 acres fronting on Passamoquoddy Bay, near the entrance of Digdeguash River.
13 Nov. 1807, John Hanson, Sr. and wife Elizabeth, sold to John Hanson, Jr., 50 acres for 50 £s, 1/2
Lot #10 of the Penobscott Assn. Grants, that lieth above the country road, and joint Lot
2 Jul. 1812, John Hanson sold to Eliphalett Hanson, 100 acres on Bocabec Stream, Lot #6, for 5
4 Feb. 1818, John Hanson to John Hanson, Jr., 5 acres for 10 £s, 1/2 Lot #10 of the Penobscott Assn.
Grant, that lieth between the highway and the shore, joining Lot #9.
23 Mar. 1818, John Hanson to Jacob Hanson, 50 acres for 50 £s, 1/2 Lot #10 of the Penobscott Assn.
Grant, joining Lot #11.
29 Sep. 1818, John Hanson to Robert Pagan, 500 acres grant Falls Brook.
This was found in May 01 on the 'Net:
PANB/UNB Grantbook Database
Searching the Grantbook Database
This database consists of records of land settlement in New Brunswick in the period 1765-1900. County or place of settlement can be searched, as can be primary grant holder names. For further information on early New Brunswick land grants, a description of the land grant database and an explanation of the various document types included in the grantbooks is provided. Users are directed to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick for copies of the grants or plans registered with the grant, or for further information on this database.
Volume: 1, page 229, Grant number 969Original province of registration: New Brunswick
Nova Scotia registration date: -----
New Brunswick registration date: 1818/04/24Accompanying plan: Yes
Acreage: 1000 acres
Place and County: DIGDIGUASH RIVER, Charlotte County
Comments: WITH ONE OTHER/HAS A NO.1028
Volume: A, page 304, Grant number 133Original province of registration: Nova Scotia
Nova Scotia registration date: 1784/03/29
New Brunswick registration date: -----Accompanying plan: No
Acreage: 550 acres
Place and County: DIGDIGUASH, PASSAMAQUODDY BAY, Sunbury County
Volume: 1, page 229, Grant number 969Original province of registration: New Brunswick
Nova Scotia registration date:
New Brunswick registration date: 1818/04/24Accompanying plan: y
Acreage: 500 acres
Place and County: Digdiguash, Charlotte County
Comments: 1 other
Volume: 20, page 169, Grant number 1429Original province of registration: New Brunswick
Nova Scotia registration date:
New Brunswick registration date: 1837/12/30Accompanying plan: y
Acreage: 60 acres
Place and County: Alnwick, Northumberland County
The emigration of the Loyalists from New York
mostly LI, but it covers the experiences of those Loyal to the Crown who went , in this case, mostly to Novia Scotia.
From the records of DANIEL GERALD HANSON, ST. ANDREWS, N.B., CANADA, JANUARY 1952
Son of ISAAC HANSON and SUSANNA CANNEY, born 1739 at DOVER N.H. (FAMILY tradition says MARBLEHEAD MA) Married to ELIZABETH CLARK, 1760-61, daughter of WILLIAM CLARK and RUTH GOODWIN of BERWICK ME. Date of birth as yet unknown. Baptized 5 October 1748 Berwick First Church record as DELIVERANCE but appears as BETTY in al BERWICK records, thereafter, one being a quit-claim deed to a portion of the CLARK ESTATE. She and her husband then resided in GOULDSBORO, MAINE (MISS EDITH M. PATTEN, Waterbury, CT, REF) 1770.
ELIZABETH HANSON was living 13 November 1817, when her name appeared on a deed with her husband, but does not appear on deeds dated 14 February 1818. Her death is presumed to have occurred about this time. (REF-REGISTRY OF DEEDS, ST. ANDREWS, N.B.)
JOHN HANSON died in 1820 in Bocabec, Charlotte County, NEW BRUNSWICK, CANADA. He and his wife are buried in the family Burial plot on his farm then owned by him of the HOLT'S POINT ROAD, BOCABEC, afterwards known as the "CROW PLACE" from a later owner, and now (1952) by MISS ANNIE HOLT. The burial lot is at present owned by DANIEL G. HANSON of ST. ANDREWS. N.B., who obtained title to it from MISS HOLT by deed on record in the REGISTRY OFFICE, ST. ANDREWS, N.B.
JOHN HANSON served in the British Provincial ARMY N.H. 1757-1763 as Private and Non-Commissioned Officer. Was with General Wolfe at the taking of QUEBEC. In Gouldsboro, Maine in 1777, where he states he was comfortably situated, but for their loyalty and attachment to the BRITISH they were obliged to leave the same together with considerable property to avoid taking up arms agains BRITISH authority, and to seek for a habitation amon the LOYALIST subjects in NOVA SCOTIA.
Soldiers and Sailors Records, Revolutionary War states he enlisted in CAPT. LIBBY'S Company, Continental Army, 29 September 1777 nad was discharged 6 October 1777 at MACHIAS, MAINE, serving 7 days.
Left home in a whale boat, with EPHRAIM YOUNG, stopped at CAMPOBELLO ISLAND, and Admiral OWENs settlement. (Quotation from "THE EXODUS OF THE LOYALISTS from PENOBSCOTTS PASSAMAQUODDY" by WILBUR M. SIEBERT, A.M. Page 35)
Then he and YOUNG proceeded to and established a home on CHAMCOOK ISLAND, near ST. ANDREWS, N.B., then unclaimed by any person, and during six years cleared from 15 to 20 acres. Their families having joined them as the record states that for two years they were under the greatest distress, having large families and no provisions, being obliges to subsist on shell fish and whatever they could secure with their guns. In 1785 NEW BRUNSWICK government granted CHAMCOOK ISLAND to a CAPT. OSBORNE of the British frigate "ARIADNE", stationed off ST. ANDREWS for the protection of the newly arrived LOYALISTS, the main body of them having landed at what is now the TOWN OF ST. ANDREWS, 3 October 1783, which was then in large part a cedar swamp.
As there were very few persons settled in this locality before the coming of the Loyalists from Castine, evidently the homes and clearings made by Hanson and Young looked very tempting, they had settled on the Island under Location Tickets issued by the authorities of Nova Scotia, of which this was then a part, and thought they were protected in their property, but the Government of the new Province of New Brunswick organized in 1784, refused to recognize these documents. In a petition to the Governor, Thomas Carleton, dated 3 March 1785 by John Hanson and Ephraim Young, praying for a grant of the Island, they having been there six years and cleared 15 acres by Mr. Pagan, and double that by Mr. Limeburner, Read in Council 8 March 1785. In Council 29 March Petition noted - A prior application having been made for the Island but they will be considered for their improvements. (Crown Land Office Fredericton, Vol. 27 No. 30)
Evidently Capt. Osborne found that Hanson and Young had no title to the Island and he was going back to England with his ship very soon, and that there was a chance to make some easy money, and no doubt quite intimate with the English Governor, he applied for and obtained a grant of the Island. Another petition dated 20 July 1785 by Ephraim Young says that it is peculiarly hard and distressing to be compelled to remove with his wife and four children from this spot upon retaining which depends all his hopes for subsisting his family and again encounter the difficulties of subduing an uncleared tract of country. That he understands that Capt. Osborne has applied for a grand of the same Island but your memorialist most earnestly entreats he may not be dispossessed of his dearly earned fruit of his labours and reduced with his family to the distress that such a measure will subject him to; and humbly requests that a grant of such proportion of land upon the Island as his labour and improvements shall be thought to entitle him unto. Petition Noted - received 20 July 1785. The prayer of this petition has already been determined. Shortly after this by deed dated 20 August 1785, Recorded in St. andrews Vol. New B page 123 Samuel Osborne Commander of His Majesty's Ship Ariadne, for 250 pounds paid by Samuel Andrews Clerk and Missionary, St. Andrews, Charlotte, County, New Brunswick (Canada). The title fo the Island passed to Rev. Samual Andrews who had been Rector of the Church of England in Wallingford Conn., but at the close of the Revolutionary War had been compelled to leave, and the Society in London for the propagation of the Gospel had sent him to St. Andrews.
It is family history that Hanson was invited on board the ship Ariadne by Capt. Osborne and plied with liquor, and while in that state had signed away any right he had to the Island and that his family refused to leave their home on the Island only after it was made a target for the warship's cannons.
Both Hanson and Young with their families then had to leave their homes and farms giving up any claim to John Curry of St. Andrews for a consideration agreed upon they being in Mr. Curry's debt.
By deed dated 11 Feb 1786, JOHN HANSON of ST. SNDREWS bought of JOHNA. TOWER of ST. ANDREWS LOT No. 3 of the Farms of the PENOBSCOT ASSOCIATION (New Vol A Page 480) Record Office, being the lot here-to-fore granted to JOHN ANDREWS TOWER by Letters of Patent under the Great Seal of Nova Scotia and bounded as follows: Beginning at the North West Corner of LOT Nl. 2 on the sea shore of the North side of the Passamaquoddy Bay turning from thence a due East course to a large pond on the Eastern bank of which turn North fifty rods or perches, then to due West course from the said pond or lake to the South west boundary of Lot No. 4, on the sea shore of the Bay aforesaid, then following the course of the said shore to the aforesaid corner of Lot No. 2 in a southerly direction 50 rods or perches.
JOHN HANSON and his family cleared land and built a home on this Lot. He transferred title to his son, William, by deed dated 5 March 1802, and in 1818 the Lot was sold to JOHN CROW, and has since been known as the "CROW PLACE". It is now owned by Miss Annie Holt. It is on the Lane or HOLT'S POINT ROAD, BOCABED. A petition signed by JOEL BONNY and JOHN HANSON, dated 2 November 1816 states: JOEL BONNY, 80 years of age, married and has 10 children, served with the BRITISH PROVINCIAL ARMY 1757-1763 successively as Private, Sergeant, Ensign and Lieutenant, and was with GENERAL WOLFE at the taking of QUEBEC.
JOHN HANSON is 78 years of age, is married and has now living and settled in his own neighborhood, 11 married sons and daughters, 105 grandchildren, 38 great grand children making a family of 156 and assert with Truth that he and his descendants have cleared and improved more wilderness than any family in the county. He served in the same army with BONNY and for the same period as a Private and Non-Commissioned Officer. These men came to the Province at the first settlement thereof, and as a compensation for their services and steady adherence to His Majesty's Government ask that 550 acres granted to each of them in 1784 be regranted, since they have been unable to make the improvements required, making improvements on other grants of land and now being so advance in age they are unable to do so. The request complied with 8th day of March, 1817. Both received grants in the DIGEGUASH RIVER opposite FALLS RIVER BROOK, of 500 acres. By deed dated 5 March 1802 JOHN HANSON SR. bought of WILLIAM HANSON and wife, DORCAS LOT NO. 10 of the PENOBSCOT ASSOCIATION GRANT North Side of the PASSAMAQUODDY. By deed dated 15 November 1817 JOHN HANSON SR., and wife ELIZABETH sold to JOHN HANSON JR., 50 acres for 50 pounds 1/2 Lot No. 10 of the PENOBSCOT ASSOCIATION GRANTS, that lieth above the Country Road. By deed dated 14 February 1818 JOHN HANSON SR., to JOHN HANSON JR., 5 acres for 10 punds, 1/2 Lot nos. 10 of the PENOBSCOT ASSOCIATION GRANTS that lieth between the Highway and the shore, joining LOT NO. 9.
(NOTE* LOT NO. 10 remained in the HANSON name until only a few years ago.) (Probably somewhat prior to 1952 - weh note)
John Hanson's Timeline
Dover, Strafford County, New Hampshire, Colonial America
April 15, 1761
Madbury, Strafford County, New Hampshire, United States
August 20, 1766
New Hampshire probably, USA
Chamcook Island, Charlotte, New Brunswick, Canada
December 11, 1795