|Also Known As:||"John At Hecche", "John Hache", "John Hatch"|
|Death:||Died in Sellinge, Kent, England|
|Place of Burial:||Faversham, Kent, England, UK|
|Managed by:||Jason Scott Wills|
Matching family tree profiles for John Hatche
About John Hatche
- John Hatch
- M, #21498, b. circa 1415, d. after 1464
- John Hatch married Agnes. John Hatch was born circa 1415 at Seiling, Kent, England. He died after 1464.
- Family Agnes b. c 1419
- Thomas Hatch+ b. c 1442, d. a 1464
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p716.htm#i21498
- The New England historical and genealogical register, Volume 70 By Henry Fitz-Gilbert Waters, New England Historic Genealogical Society
- The Will of JOHN AT HECCHE of Sellyng next Monks Horton [co. Kent], 15 November 1464. .... etc.
- The Will of ELIONER HACCHE of the parish of Sellinge, co. Kent, 1 November 1519. .... etc.
- The Will of THOMAS HACHE, the elder of Sellyng besids Horton Monkyn, co. Kent, 12 December 1530. .... etc.
- The Will of JOHN HATCHE of Sellynge besids Horton Monks, co. Kent, 13 April 1535. .... etc.
- The Will of THOMAS HACHE of Mersham, co. Kent, 16 January 1556 [1556/7]. .... etc.
- The Will of WILLYAM HATCHE of Mersham, co. Kent, Myllwright, 28 January 1571 [1571/2]. .... etc.
- The Will of STEVEN HATCHE of the parish of Sellinge next Horton, co. Kent, yeoman, 10 December 1606. .... etc.
- The Will of THOMAS HATCH of the parish of St. Peters in Canterbury, co. Kent, yeoman, 27 December, 9 James I . .... etc.
- The nuncupative Will of MARGARET ALLEN ALS HATCH [in the Calendar called "Margaret Allen als Hatch als King of Canterbury"], 20 October 1626. .... etc.
- The Will of JOHN HATCHE of Tenterden, co. Kent, yeoman, 23 March 1628 [1628/9]. .... etc.
- The Will of DOROTHIE HATCH of Hollingbourne, co. Kent, widow, 13 August 1638. .... etc.
- 1. JOHN AT HECCHE, of Sellinge, in the hundred of Street, co. Kent, the testator of 1464, was born probably about 1415 and died not earlier than 15 Nov. 1464. He married Agnes —— , who was living when his will was made. He was probably a miller. He was undoubtedly descended from
- .... etc.
- some of the Atte Hacches found in the hundred of Calehill, in the subsidies of 1327-8 and 1372-3. These subsidies do not name the parishes in which the persons assessed lived; but the hundred of Calehill comprised the parishes of Charing, Westwell, Egerton, Little Chart, and Pluckley, as well as parts of several other parishes. Contemporary with the above John at Hecche of Sellinge were several of the name in Charing, probably his brothers and cousins, who left wills not given in this article. The mention of his lands in Westwell and Charing places his origin in that ancient Atte Hacche family, and he is the first of the name in Sellinge or vicinity of whom record has been found. His will names his wife Agnes and three sons.
- Children :
- 2. i. THOMAS, b. probably abt. 1442.
- ii. JOHN, b. probably abt. 1444.
- iii. WILLIAM, b. probably abt. 1446.
- 2. THOMAS AT HECCHE (John), of Sellinge, co. Kent, was born about 1442, as he was at least twenty-one in 1464, when his father appointed him one of the executors of his will, but was then under twenty-four. No will or administration of his estate has been found. He succeeded to a portion of his father's lands in Sellinge, and doubtless married soon after his father's death, becoming the father of a family of whom only one child is known.
- 3. i. THOMAS, b. probably abt. 1465.
- 3. THOMAS HACHE (Thomas, John), of Sellinge, co. Kent, the testator of 1530, was born probably about 1465. He held the manor of Hodyford, was assessed as "Thomas Hatche the elder" in the hundred of Street, in the subsidy of 1524, and died between 12 Dec. 1530 and 31 Dec. 1534. The name of his wife has not been found, but six children are named in his will in 1530.
- .... etc.
Thomas at HECCHE, born ca 1442 in Sellinge, Co. Kent, England. He was the son of John at HECCHE and Agnes (at HECCHE).
Child of Thomas at HECCHE is:
i. Thomas HACHE, born ca 1465 in Sellinge, Co. Kent, England; died ca Dec 1534.
Thomas HACHE, born ca 1465 in Sellinge, Co. Kent, England; died ca Dec 1534. He was the son of 3184. Thomas at HECCHE.
Children of Thomas HACHE are:
i. William HATCHE, born ca 1488.
ii. John HATCHE, born ca 1490; died Bef. 1519; married Eleanor (HATCHE); died ca 1519.
iii. Agnes HATCHE
iv. Thomas HATCHE
v. John HATCHE, born ca 1495 in Sellinge, Co. Kent, England; died ca Apr 1536 in Sellinge, Co. Kent, England.
vi. Margaret HATCHE
vii. Alice HATCHE
The Will of JOHN AT HECCHE of Sellyng next Monks Horton [co. Kent], 15 November 1464. My body to be buried in the churchyard of Selling. To the high altar there 12d. To the light of the Holy Trinity 6d. To the light of the Cross 6d. To the light of the Blessed Virgin 6d. To the light of the Blessed Mary under the High Cross 6d. The residue of all my goods not otherwise bequeathed I give to Agnes my wife and Thomas my son to dispose of them for the wealth of my soul, my parents souls, and the souls of all the faithful departed; and I make them my executors.
My testament regarding all my lands. William Knyght, John Parys, William Smyth, John Webbe, and William at Melle are the feoffees of my lands and tenements at Selling, by indenture dated 10 October, 25 Henry VI . My woods upon my lands at Westwell and Charing to be sold to pay my debts and legacies. My feoffees to permit Agnes my wife if she remain my widow, to hold all my other lands and tenements until Thomas at hecche, my son, shall come to the age of twenty-four years, when he shall have one third of the lands. My son John to have a third of the lands when he shall come to the age of twenty-four years; and when my son William shall come to the age of twenty-four years, then my feoffees shall make over the lands to my three sons equally, forever, they paying to Agnes their mother 20s. a year during her life. If all my sons die before the age of twenty-four, then my wife Agnes shall have the lands for her life and after her death they shall be sold and the money shall be employed to provide a chantry priest to sing and pray in the church of Selling for the space of two years, the residue to be expended in charity for the poor of Selling and for the souls of my father and mother and all the faithful departed. If my wife shall marry before the said Thomas, John, and William reach their full ages [i.e., twenty-four years], my feoffees shall allow her 20s. a year and shall use the remainder of the profits of my lands for my sons and for the repair of my messuages and mills. To each of my feoffees for their pains 6s. 8d. [No witnesses and no record of probate.] (Archdeaconry of Canterbury, vol. 1, fo. 5.)
John "at Hecche" of Sellinge, Kent, England was undoubtedly descended from the Atte Hacches found in the hundred of Calehill in the subsidies of 1327-8 and 1372-3. The hundred of Calehill comprised parishes of Charing, Westwell, Egerton, Little Chart, Pluckley and others.
John at Hecche is first of his name in Sellinge vicinity. Three sons are named in his Will: Thomas, b. about 1442, John b. about 1444 and William b. about 1446.
The Hatch family has lived in the county of Kent, England since, at least, the 14th century. The family name is derived from the Anglo-Saxon noun, haec (Middle English - hacche), later hatch, meaning a gate or wicket. The surname appears as early as 1327-8. The first form was atte Hacche and undoubtedly was assumed by some man living near some gate or wicket such as an entrance to a village church yard or ground of a manor house.
John Hatche's Timeline
Sellindge, Kent, England
Tenterden, Kent, England
November 15, 1464
Sellinge, Kent, England
November 24, 1464
Faversham, Kent, England, UK
February 25, 1950
February 27, 1953
July 20, 1993