About John Talbot, 2nd Earl Shrewsbury
John Talbot, 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury
John Talbot, 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury, 2nd Earl of Waterford, 8th Baron Talbot, KG (c. 1417 – 10 July 1460) was an English nobleman and soldier. He was the son of John Talbot, 1st Earl of Shrewsbury and Maud Nevill, the 6th Baroness Furnivall.
John Talbot also held the subsidiary titles of 11th Baron Strange of Blackmere and 7th Baron Furnivall. He was knighted in 1426 at Leicester alongside King Henry VI. During his father's lifetime, he served as Lord Chancellor of Ireland. He was a Lancastrian, and served as Lord High Treasurer from 1456 to 1458, besides being created a Knight of the Garter in 1457. He was killed at the Battle of Northampton.
He married Elizabeth Butler, a daughter of James Butler, 4th Earl of Ormonde and Joan de Beauchamp. Her maternal grandparents were William Beauchamp, 1st Baron Bergavenny and Joan Fitzalan. Joan was a daughter of Richard FitzAlan, 11th Earl of Arundel and Elizabeth de Bohun. Elizabeth was a daughter of William de Bohun, 1st Earl of Northampton. The marriage seems to have been an attempt to heal the feud between their fathers, which had dominated Irish politics for many years.
They had seven children:
- Lady Ann Talbot (c. 1445 - 17 May 1494). Married firstly Sir Henry Vernon and secondly Ralph Shirley.
- John Talbot, 3rd Earl of Shrewsbury (12 December 1448 – 28 June 1473).
- Sir James Talbot (c. 1450 - 2 September 1471).
- Sir Gilbert Talbot, KG (1452 - 16 August 1517 or 19 September 1518). Married first Elizabeth Greystoke, daughter of Ralph de Greystoke, the 5th Baron Greystoke/7th Baron Boteler of Wem; and secondly, to Etheldreda, also called Audrey, Cotton, daughter of William Landwade Cotton of Landwade, Cambridgeshire.
- Rev. Christopher Talbot (c. 1454 - aft. 1474). Rector at Christchurch, Shropshire.
- Sir George Talbot (born c. 1456).
- Margaret Talbot (born c. 1460). Married Thomas Chaworth (died a lunatic 1482-1483), son of Sir William Chaworth and Elizabeth Bowett, without issue.
- Sir John Talbot, 5th Earl of Shrewsbury, Lord Furnival, Lord High Treasurer & Chief Butler of England, Chancellor of Ireland, Chief Justice of Chester1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12
- M, #11078, b. 12 December 1413, d. 10 July 1460
- Father Sir John Talbot, 4th Earl Shrewsbury, Wexford, Waterford, 7th Lord Talbot, Count of Clermont13,14,15 b. c 1392, d. 17 Jul 1453
- Mother Maud Neville13,14,15 b. c 1392, d. 13 Dec 1423
- Sir John Talbot, 5th Earl of Shrewsbury, Lord Furnival, Lord High Treasurer & Chief Butler of England, Chancellor of Ireland, Chief Justice of Chester was born on 12 December 1413 at Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England; Age 40 in 1453.3,7,11 A settlement for the marriage Sir John Talbot, 5th Earl of Shrewsbury, Lord Furnival, Lord High Treasurer & Chief Butler of England, Chancellor of Ireland, Chief Justice of Chester and Katherine Burnell was made on 22 June 1416; Both parties were children.3,4,7,16,11 The marriage of Sir John Talbot, 5th Earl of Shrewsbury, Lord Furnival, Lord High Treasurer & Chief Butler of England, Chancellor of Ireland, Chief Justice of Chester and Katherine Burnell was annulled before 8 December 1420.3,4,7,16,11 Sir John Talbot, 5th Earl of Shrewsbury, Lord Furnival, Lord High Treasurer & Chief Butler of England, Chancellor of Ireland, Chief Justice of Chester married Elizabeth Butler, daughter of James Butler, 4th Earl Ormond and Joan Beauchamp, before March 1445; They had 5 sons (Sir John, 3rd Earl of Shrewsbury; Sir James; Sir Gilbert; Christopher, Archdeacon of Chester; & George) and 2 daughters (Anne, wife of Sir Henry Vernon; & Margaret, wife of Thomas Chaworth, Esq.).2,3,5,7,8,9,11,12 Sir John Talbot, 5th Earl of Shrewsbury, Lord Furnival, Lord High Treasurer & Chief Butler of England, Chancellor of Ireland, Chief Justice of Chester died on 10 July 1460 at Battle of Northampton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, England, at age 46; Buried at Worksop Priory, Nottinghamshire.3,7,11
- Family 1 Katherine Burnell b. c 1406, d. 13 Oct 1452
- Family 2 Elizabeth Butler b. 21 Dec 1421, d. 8 Sep 1473
- Sir James Talbot3 d. 2 Sep 1471
- Christopher Talbot, Rector of Christchurch3 d. a 1474
- George Talbot3
- Anne Talbot+3,6,7,8,10,11,12 b. c 1446, d. 17 May 1494
- Sir John Talbot, 6th Earl Shrewsbury, 2nd Earl Waterford+3 b. 12 Dec 1448, d. 28 Jun 1473
- Sir Gilbert Talbot, Sheriff of Shropshire, Chamberlain of North Wales, Lt. of Calais+3,7,11 b. 1452, d. 17 Aug 1517
- 1.[S2872] Unknown author, Magna Charta Sureties, 1215, by F. L. Weis, 4th Ed., p. 29, 151.
- 2.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XI, p. 704-705.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 705.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 371-372.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 382.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 69-70.
- 7.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 172-173.
- 8.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 281-282.
- 9.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 52.
- 10.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 295.
- 11.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 124.
- 12.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 282.
- 13.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 704-705.
- 14.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 169-170.
- 15.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 121-122.
- 16.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 40-41.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p369.htm#i11078
- John Talbot, 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury
- M, #12281, b. circa 1413, d. 11 July 1460
- Last Edited=8 Apr 2013
- John Talbot, 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury was born circa 1413. He was the son of General John Talbot, 1st Earl of Shrewsbury and Maud de Neville, Baroness Furnival. He died on 11 July 1460. He was buried circa July 1460 at Worksop Priory.
- He gained the title of 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury. He gained the title of 7th Baron Furnival [E., 1295].
- Children of John Talbot, 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury
- 1.Margaret Talbot1
- 2.Anne Talbot+2
- Children of John Talbot, 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury and Elizabeth Butler
- 1.Sir Gilbert Talbot+ d. 19 Sep 1518
- 2.Sir James Talbot d. 2 Sep 1471
- 3.Reverend Christopher Talbot d. a 1474
- 4.John Talbot, 3rd Earl of Shrewsbury+ b. 12 Dec 1448, d. 28 Jun 1473
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume III, page 154. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S37] BP2003 See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p1229.htm#i12281
- John TALBOT (2° E. Shrewsbury)
- Born: 1413
- Died: 10 Jul 1460, slain at Battle of Northampton
- Buried: Worksop Priory
- Notes: Knight of the Garter. knighted 1426; 1453; Lancastrian. Served in France with his father.
- Father: John TALBOT (1° E. Shrewsbury)
- Mother: Maud NEVILLE (B. Strange/C. Shrewsbury)
- Married 1: Catherine BURNELL (b. BEF 1406 - d. 13 Oct 1452) (dau. of Edward Burnell and Alice Le Strange) (m. 2 to Sir John Radcliffe of Attleborough) betrothed only 8 Jun 1421
- Married 2: Elizabeth BUTLER (C. Shrewsbury) Mar 1444/5
- 1. John TALBOT (3º E. Shrewsbury)
- 2. Gilbert TALBOT (High Sheriff)
- 2. Elizabeth TALBOT (D. Norfolk)
- 4. Eleanor TALBOT (B. Sudeley)
- 5. Thomas TALBOT
- 6. Anne TALBOT
- 7. James TALBOT (Sir Knight) (d. 2 Sep 1471, s.p.)
- 8. Christopher TALBOT (Rector Whitechurch/Archdeacon Chester) (d. AFT 1474)
- 9. Margaret TALBOT
- 10. George TALBOT
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/TALBOT.htm#John TALBOT (2° E. Shrewsbury)
- Shrewsbury, Earl of (E, 1442)
- John [Talbot], jure uxoris 6th and 5th Baron Furnival later 7th Baron Talbot and 10th Baron Strange of Blackmere later 1st Earl of Shrewsbury, KG
- 2nd son of Richard [Talbot], 4th Baron Talbot, by his wife Ankaret Lestrange, suo jure Baroness Lestrange of Blackmere, dau. of John [Lestrange], 4th Baron Strange of Blackmere
- born c. 1384
- mar. (1) bef. 12 Mar 1406/7 Maud de Nevill, suo jure Baroness Furnivall (b. c. 1392; d. bef. 1425; bur. at Worksop Priory, co. Nottingham), only child of Thomas [de Nevill], jure uxoris 5th and 4th Baron Furnivall, by his first wife Joan de Furnival, suo jure Baroness Furnivall, only child of William [de Furnivall], 4th and 3rd Baron Furnivall
- children by first wife
- 1. Sir John Talbot, later 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury
- 2. Sir Christopher Talbot, of Treeton (d. 10 Jul 1460 at the Battle of Northampton)
- 1. Lady Joan Talbot, mar. (1) 25 Jul 1457 as his fourth wife James [de Berkeley], 1st Baron Berkeley, and (2) bef. 26 May 1474 Edmund Hungerford
- mar. (2) 6 Sep 1425 Lady Margaret de Beauchamp (b. 1404; d. 14 Jun 1467; bur. in the Jesus Chapel, St Paul's Cathedral, London), 1st dau. and cohrss. of Richard [de Beauchamp], 13th Earl of Warwick, by his first wife Elizabeth de Berkeley, suo jure Baroness Berkeley, Baroness Lisle of Kingston and Baroness Teyes, only child of Thomas [de Berkeley], 5th Baron Berkeley, by his wife Margaret de Lisle, suo jure Baroness Lisle of Kingston and Baroness Teyes, only child of William [de Lisle], 2nd Baron de Lisle and Baron Teyes
- children by second wife
- 3. John Talbot, later 1st Viscount Lisle
- 4. Sir Humphrey Talbot, Marshal of Calais (d. 1492)
- 5. Sir Lewis Talbot, of Penyard, co. Hereford
- 2. Lady Elizabeth Talbot (d. bef. 10 May 1507), mar. bef. 27 Nov 1448 John [de Mowbray], 5th Duke of Norfolk, and had issue
- 3. Lady Eleanor Talbot, allegedly precontracted to marry King Edward IV - on account of this the King's marriage to Lady Elizabeth Wydville was declared invalid on 25 Jun 1483 by the Act of Parliament known as "Titulus Regius" and at the same time their children were declared illegitimate and unfit to inherit the Crown - the marriage was ultimately recognised as valid in October 1485 by the first Parliament of King Henry VII and its issue were restored in blood accordingly - Lady Eleanor had an illegitimate son by King Edward, Edward de Wigmore, who died in infancy in 1468 (d. 30 Jun 1468), mar. Sir Thomas Boteler (dvp. and sp. betw. 1450 and 1468), only son and heir ap. of Ralph [Boteler], 7th and 1st Baron Sudeley, by his first wife Elizabeth Hende, widow of John Hende
- died 17 Jul 1453 (bur. at St Alkmund's, Whitchurch, co. Shropshire)
- 20 May 1442 Earl of Shrewsbury
- 17 Jul 1446 Earl of Waterford and Hereditary Steward of Ireland
- suc. by son by first wife
- note King's Esquire bef. 1407; sum. to Parliament jure uxoris as Baron Furnivall from 26 Oct 1409 to 26 Feb 1420/21; knighted bef. 1413; Commissioner to arrest and imprison Lollards 1413/4; Commissioner to enforce the Statute of Leicester against the Lollards 1414; King's Lieutenant in Ireland 1414-20 and 1444/5-52; Knight of the Garter 1424; Justiciar of Ireland 1425; Captain of Coutances and Pont de l'Ache 1427/8; Captain of Falaise 1428; took part in the siege of Orleans 1428-29; suc. his niece 13 Dec 1431 as 10th Baron Strange of Blackmere and 7th Baron Talbot; cr. Count of Clermont Jun 1434; involved in the French campaign 1435-42; Keeper of the Castle and Town of Porchester and Governor of Portsmouth 1451/2-53; returned to the French Campaign 1451/2 and slain at the siege of Castillon with his son John, Lord Lisle
- John [Talbot], 7th and 6th Baron Furnival later 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury, KG
- born c. 1413
- mar. bef. Mar 1444/5 his third cousin Lady Elizabeth Butler (d. 8 Sep 1473; bur. in Shrewsbury Abbey), only dau. of James [Butler], 4th Earl of Ormonde, by his first wife Joan de Beauchamp, only dau. of William [de Beauchamp], 1st Baron Bergavenny
- 1. Sir John Talbot, later 3rd Earl of Shrewsbury
- 2. Sir James Talbot (d. 2 Sep 1471)
- 3. Ven Christopher Talbot, Rector of Whitchurch, co. Shropshire, Archdeacon of Chester (d. aft. 1474)
- 4. George Talbot
- 5. Sir Gilbert Talbot KG, of Grafton, co. Worcester, fought on the Lancastrian side at the Battle of Bosworth 1485, Commander at the Battle of Stoke 1487, Deputy Captain of Calais (d. 19 Sep 1518), mar. (1) after 1475 Elizabeth le Scrope (widow of Thomas [le Scrope], 5th Baron Scrope of Masham), 5th dau. by his first wife of Ralph [de Greystock], 5th Baron Greystock, and had issue:
- 1a. .... etc.
- Sir Gilbert Talbot KG mar. (2) Etheldreda Gardiner (widow of (1) Thomas Barton and (2) Richard Gardiner, Lord Mayor of London), dau. of William Landwade, of Landwade, co. Cambridge, and had further issue:
- 3a. .... etc.
- 5. Sir Humphrey Talbot
- 1. Lady Anne Talbot, mar. Sir Henry Vernon, of Haddon. co. Derby, Governor and Treasurer to Arthur, Prince of Wales (d. 1511), and had issue
- 2. Lady Margaret Talbot, mar. Thomas Chaworth (dsp. c. 1483)
- died 10 Jul 1460 (bur. in Worksop Priory, co. Nottingham)
- suc. by son
- note Knight of the Bath 1426; suc. his mother c.1433 as 7th Baron Furnivall; served in France 1434 and 1442; Chancellor of Ireland 1446; Lord High Treasurer of England 1456-58; Knight of the Garter 1457; Joint Keeper of the King's Mews and Falcons 1457; Chief Butler of England 1458; Chief Justice of Chester 1458/9; Steward of Wakefield 1459; Steward of Ludlow 1460; killed at the Battle of Northampton fighting for the Lancastrian side
- John [Talbot], 3rd Earl of Shrewsbury
- born 12 Dec 1448
- mar. c. 1467 Lady Katharine Stafford (d. 26 Dec 1476), 5th dau. of Humphrey [Stafford], 1st Duke of Buckingham, by his wife Lady Anne Nevill, 3rd dau. by his second wife of Ralph [Nevill], 1st Earl of Westmorland
- 1. Hon George Talbot, later 4th Earl of Shrewsbury
- 2. Hon Thomas Talbot (d. young)
- 1. Lady Ann Talbot
- died 28 Jun 1473 (bur. in Worksop Priory, co. Nottingham)
- suc. by son
- note knighted after the Second Battle of St Albans 1460/1; at the Battle of Towton 1461; Commissioner of Oyer and Terminer for Yorkshire, Cumberland, Westmorland and the City of York 1469 and of Shropshire 1470; Chief Justice of North Wales 1471
- From: http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/content/shrewsbury1442.htm?zoom_highlight=talbot
- Sir John Talbot, 1st Earl of Shrewbury (b 1390, d Chastillon 20.07.1453)
- m1. (12.03.1406) Maud Nevill, Baroness Furnivall (b c1391, d before 1433, dau of Thomas Nevill, Lord Furnival)
- 1. John Talbot, 2nd Earl of Shrewsbury, Lord Chancellor of Ireland (b 1413, d Northampton 10.07.1460, 2nd son)
- m1. (before 08.06.1421, sp) Catherine Burnel (dau of Sir Edward Burnel) this marriage may not have taken place
- m2. Elizabeth Butler (d 08.09.1473, dau of James Butler, 4th Earl of Ormonde, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland)
- A. John Talbot, 3rd Earl of Shrewsbury (b 12.12.1448, d 28.06.1473)
- m. (1467) Catherine Stafford (d 26.12.1476, dau of Humphrey de Stafford, 1st Duke of Buckingham)
- i. .... etc.
- B. Sir Gilbert Talbot of Grafton, Sheriff of Shropshire (d 19.09.1518, 5th son)
- Brydges identifies Sir Gilber's 1st wife as Elizabeth, widow of Thomas, Lord Scrope of Masham, dau of Henry, Lord Scrope of Bolton by Alice Scrope. BP1934 identifies her as ...
- m1. Elizabeth Greystock (dau of Ralph Greystock, 7th Lord of Greystoke, widow of Thomas, Lord Scrope)
- i. .... etc.
- m2. Etheldreda/Audrey Cotton (dau of William (not John) Cotton of Landwade)
- iii. .... etc.
- The following are mentioned in a note within Visitation (Staffordshire, 1583, Skrimshire of Norbury, Aqualate and Johnson).
- p. Elizabeth Wynter (widow)
- v. .... etc.
- C. Anne Talbot
- m. Sir Henry Vernon of Haddon (d 1511)
- D. Margaret Talbot
- m. Thomas Chaworth (dsp 1482-3, son of Sir William)
- E.+ other issue - Sir James (dsp 02.09.1471), Christopher (a 1474, rector of Whitchurch, archdeacon of Chester), George
- 2.+ other sisue - Thomas (dvpsp), Sir Christopher (d Northampton 10.07.1460)
- m2. Margaret Beauchamp (d 14.06.1468, dau of Richard de Beauchamp, 5th Earl of Warwick)
- 4. John Talbot, 1st Viscount L'Isle (b c1426, d Chastillon 17.07.1453)
- The following comes from BE1883 (Talbot of L'Isle) & TCP (vol VIII, 'Lisle').
- m. Joan Chedder (d 15.07.1464, dau/coheir of Sir Thomas Chedder of Chedder (by Isabel, dau/coheir of Robert Scobhull), widow of Richard Stafford)
- A. .... etc.
- 4. Sir Humphrey Talbot (dsp 1492, Marshal of Calais)
- m. Mary Champernoun (dau/heir of John Champernoun)
- 5. Sir Lewis Talbot of Penyard
- 6. Joan Talbot
- m1. (c25.07.1457, sp) Sir James de Berkeley, 1st Lord (b c1394, d 11.1463)
- m2. Edmund Hungerford mentioned by Brydges but not by BP1934
- 7. Elizabeth Talbot (d 1506/7) mentioned by BP1934 but not by Brydges
- m. (by 27.11.1448) James Mowbray, 5th Duke of Norfolk (b 18.10.1444, d 17.01.1475-6)
- 8. Eleanor Talbot (b c1436, d 30.06.1468) not mentioned by either BP1934 or Brydges (!) but reputedly of this generation, of this marriage
- m1. (1449) Sir Thomas Butler or Boteler (son of Ralph, Lord Sudeley)
- m2/p. Edward Plantagenet, King Edward IV of England (b 28.04.1441, d 09.04.1483)
- Probably of this generation but, if so, unsure of which marriage was ...
- 9. Catharine Talbot
- m. Sir Nicholas Eyton of Eyton, Sheriff of Salop (a 1455)
- Main source(s): BP1934 (Shrewsbury) with some support from Collins (Brydges, vol 3 (1812), 'Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury', p11+) with some support/contradiction from Visitation (Worcestershire, 1569, Talbot) and input/support as reported above
- From: Stirnet.com
John Talbot, 1st Baron Lisle and 1st Viscount Lisle (1430 – 17 July 1453), English nobleman and medieval soldier, was the son of John Talbot, 1st Earl of Shrewsbury, and his second wife Margaret Beauchamp.
John Talbot, 2nd Earl Shrewsbury's Timeline
December 12, 1413
Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England
Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England
December 12, 1448
Shrewsbury, Shropshire, , England
Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England
Grafton, Worcestershire, England
Abt. 1454 Shrewsbury, Shrops, , England
Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England