About John de St. Ormand
SEVENTH DEGREE Lord John, 2nd Baron de Saint-Amand
b. 1281 d. 1330
m. 1313 - JOAN MARGARET DESPENCER (daughter of Hugh le Despencer, Earl of Winchester and Isabel, widow of Patrick de Chaurches (Chaworth) and daughter of William de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick and his wife Maud FitzGeoffrey daughter of Sir John FitzGeoffrey and sister of Sir Richard Fitzjohn, Lord Fitzjohn). SEE DESPENCER LINEAGE, SEE MANDEVILLE LINEAGE, SEE FITZPIERS LINEAGE
JOHN, 2nd BARON DE SAINT-AMAND of Bedford, England was born in 1281. A professor of canon law, he did fealty (the fidelity of a vassal or feudal tenant to his lord) and had livery (legal possession) of lands in England and Ireland. Before his barony, he was known as "Magister Johanni de Sancto Amando". He was summoned to serve in the Parliament from January 8, 1313 to October 10, 1326 as Lord St. Amand. He married Joan Margaret, daughter of Hugh le Despencer, Earl of Winchester, in December of 1313. His mother-in-law was Isabel, daughter of William de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick. He fought the Scots in 1315 and again in 1323. He fought overseas with his father-in-law, Hugh le Despencer in February 1319. In 1321, he refused to attend assembly of "Good Peers" (Earl of Lancaster). He was summoned to assist Edward II against Lancastrians in 1322 and in 1329 was named the "Commissioner of the Peace" at Bedford. The same year he was made a knight by King Edward III. He died on January 25, 1330 and was succeeded by his son and heir Almaric IV.
SAINT-AMAND LINEAGE- http://www.fluckers.com/family/daspit/stamand1.html
- 'Sir John de St. Amand, 2nd Lord St. Amand1,2,3
- 'M, #32609, b. between 1280 and 1283, d. circa 25 January 1330
- Father Amauri de St. Amand3 d. c Oct 1285
- Mother Isobel
- ' Sir John de St. Amand, 2nd Lord St. Amand was born between 1280 and 1283 at of Ipplepen, Devonshire, England; Age 27 or 30 in 1310.3 A settlement for the marriage Sir John de St. Amand, 2nd Lord St. Amand and Margaret le Despenser was made on 4 October 1313; They had 1 son (Sir Amaury, 3rd Lord St. Amand, Justiciar of Ireland) & 1 daughter (Isabel, wife of Sir Richard de Handlo, & of Sir Robert de Hildesley).2,3 Sir John de St. Amand, 2nd Lord St. Amand married Margaret le Despenser, daughter of Sir Hugh le Despenser, Earl of Winchester, Constable of Devizes, Marlborough, Odiham, St. Briavel's, & Striguil Castles and Isabel de Beauchamp, before 20 February 1315.3 Sir John de St. Amand, 2nd Lord St. Amand died circa 25 January 1330 at of Gormanston, Meath, Ireland.3
- 'Family Margaret le Despenser d. b 25 Jan 1330
- Isabella de St. Amand+3 d. 22 Oct 1361
- Sir Almaric de St. Amand, 2nd Lord St. Amand+ b. c 1315, d. 11 Sep 1381
- 1.[S10039] Unknown author, The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. VI, p. 400, Vol. XI, p. 298-299; Wallop Family, p. 402.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 67.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 355-356.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1086.htm#i32609
John de St. Ormand's Timeline
Isle of Man, Hampshire, England
Bedford, Bedford Borough, UK
Hull, England, United Kingdom
January 25, 1330
October 15, 1994
October 27, 1994