|Death:||Died in Massachussetts, United States|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Josiah Otis
Dr. Josiah Otis was born on 30 May 1749 in Bridgewater, MA.  and died in East Bridgewater, MA, on 25 Mar 1808; he was 58.
- On 27 Nov 1772 in Bridgewater, MA, when Josiah was 23, to Susanna Orr, daughter of Hugh Orr (13 Jan 1715-6 Dec 1798) & Mary Bass (21 Mar 1724-27 Jul 1804).  She was born in 1752 in East Bridgewater, MA and died on 20 Dec 1836 in East Bridgewater, MA.
Josiah and Hannah were first cousins. His mother and her father were siblings.
Children of Josian and Hannah (Orr) Otis, born at Bridgewater:
- Melville Otis, b. 15 Jul 1778;
- Nabby Otis, b. 21 Aug 1781;
- Bass Otis, b. 17 Jul 1784;
- Clarissa Otis, b. 15 Nov 1786; and
- Welcome Otis, b. 9 Aug 1790.
Josian succeeded his father as a physician in East Bridgewater, where he had an extensive practice. In the Revolution, 1780, he was a Surgeon in Col. John Jacob’s Regiment with service for three months to reinforce the Continental Army.
- 223. William A. Otis, A Memoir of the Otis Family, Winnetka, Ill, 1924.
- 7. L. Vernon Briggs, History and Genealogy of the Briggs Family, 1254-1937, 1938, Three volumes.