Matching family tree profiles for John Locke
view all 20
About John Locke
- A history and genealogy of Captain John Locke (1627-1696) of Portsmouth and Rye, N.H., and his descendants; also of Nathaniel Locke of Portsmouth, and a short account of the history of the Lockes in England (1916?])
- F1 Captain John Locke was probably baptized in London, England, Sept. 16, 1627, married about 1652, Elizabeth, the daughter of William and Jane Berry, and was killed by the Indians Aug. 26, 1696, in Rye, N. H. Elizabeth the widow was living in 1708 when the estate was settled and the children given below shared in its distribution. Several old papers prepared by descendants born about 1735, give the entire family, and in the following order. As first names only were given it is impossible to determine whether the girls were married, or to whom married at that time (1708) but we know nearly all were.
- Children of 2nd Gen.
- F2 John, b. 1654 (?), m. Elizabeth Bolles (Bowles).
- 3 Elizabeth, b. __, probably d. before estate was settled in 1708.
- F4 Nathaniel b, 1661 (?), m. 1688-9, Dorothy Blake.
- 5 Alice or Elsie, b. __, m. Nehemiah Berry, March 14, 1714-5.
- F6 Edward, b. __, m. Hannah Jenness, in 1692.
- F7 Tryphena, b. __, m. John Webster, in 1693.
- 8 Rebecca, b. __, living in 1708.
- 9 Mary, b. __, m. William Hepworth of Boston, Jan. 31, 1697.
- F10 William, b, Apl. 17, 1677, m. Hannah Knowles, in 1699.
- F11 James, b. __, m. Hannah Philbrick, in 1713.
- F12 Joseph, b. __, m. Salome White.
- F4 Nathaniel Locke, b. 1661 (?), m. in Hampton, Jan. 22, 1688-9, Dorothy Blake, dau. of Jasper and Deborah (Dawlton), who was b. Sept. 17, 1668, d. Hampton, Sept. 28, 1737. He was called a planter of Hampton in 1727, when he made a deposition about land. He d. Nov. 12, 1734, in Hampton. Tradition says he had 19 children and lived where Mrs. Sarah F. Willcut now lives.
- Children b. in Hampton, 3rd Gen.
- 17 John, b. 1689, m. Sarah __. Probably the first of that name in Rhode Island and of whom nothing more is known.
- 18 Dorothy, b. March 20, 1690, m. 1720, her cousin Jethro Locke, (See F15).
- 19 Nathaniel, b. 1691, died young.
- F20 Tryphena, b. 1692, m. John Knowles, in 1713.
- F21 Elizabeth, b. 1694, m. Thomas Leavitt, in 1714.
- F22 Rachel, b. Dec. 12, 1695, m. William Moulton, in 1715.
- F23 Joseph, b. 1697 (?), m. Mercy Nixon, in 1722.
- F24 Nathaniel, b. Oct. 20, 1699, m. 1st, Abigail Prescott, 1726; m. 2nd, Mary Stubbs.
- F25 Timothy, b. 1700 (?), m. Miriam Brooke, in 1722.
- F26 Samuel, b. 1701-2, m. Jerusha Shaw, in 1729.
- 27 Deborah, b. 1704 (?), m. William Buckingham, Oct. 19, 1732. She, her infant child, brother Nathaniel's wife, and a Mrs. Noyes, were all lost in a vessel going from Falmouth, Me., to Cape Ann, in 1735.
- F28 Jonathan, b. Dec. 22, 1705, m. Sarah or Mary Norton, 1729-30.
- 29 Abijah, b. __, went to Rhode Island, and nothing further is known of him.
- 30 Alice, b. __, m. Thomas Edmonds, Feb. 22, 1721-22, in Greenland.
- 31 Mary, of Dover, b. __, m. George Banfield, of Portsmouth, May 25, 1727, by Rev. Wm. Allen.
- 32 Mehitable, b. __, m. Sept. 13, 1726, in Greenland by Rev. Wm. Allen to Moses Blake, b. Apl. 22, 1707, son of Moses and Abigail (Smith); children: 33 Daniel, b. 1727; 34 Moses, b. 1730.
- BLAKE, Dorothy
- b. 17 SEP 1668 Hampton, Rockingham, NH.
- d. 28 SEP 1737 Hampton, Rockingham, NH.
- Gender: Female
- Father: BLAKE, Jasper
- Mother: DALTON, Deborah
- Marriage: 22 JAN 1688/9 Hampton, Rockingham, NH.
- Spouse: LOCKE, Nathaniel
- b. 1661 Hampton, Rockingham, NH.
- d. 12 NOV 1734 Hampton, Rockingham, NH.
- Gender: Male
- Father: LOCKE, John
- Mother: BERRY, Elizabeth
- LOCKE, Abijah Gender: Male
- LOCKE, Alice
- LOCKE, Mehitable
- LOCKE, John b. 1689 Hampton, Rockingham, NH.
- LOCKE, Dorothy
- LOCKE, Tryphena
- LOCKE, Mary
- LOCKE, Elizabeth
- LOCKE, Rachel
- LOCKE, Joseph
- LOCKE, Nathaniel
- LOCKE, Timothy
- LOCKE, Samuel
- LOCKE, Deborah
- LOCKE, Jonathan
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_bb.htm#290
view all 11
John Locke's Timeline
March 20, 1690
Hampton, NH, USA
Rye, Rockingham County, New Hampshire, United States
December 22, 1705
Hampton, Province of New Hampshire
York County, Province of Massachusetts