|Birthplace:||Long Sutton, Somerset, England|
|Death:||Died in Wallingford, New Haven, Connecticut|
|Place of Burial:||Wallingford, USA, Connecticut|
Son of Robert Royce, of New London and Mary Royce
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Nehemiah Royce
About Nehemiah Royce
- born: circa 1638 (Long Sutton, Somerset, England / of Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts)
- died: 7 November 1706 at Wallingford, New Haven, CT.
- Father: Robert Royce b. c 1605, d. 1676
- Mother: Mary b. 17 Dec 1607, d. 14 Jul 1697
- Wife: 1) Hannah Morgan b. 18 May 1642, d. 12 Dec 1706 2) Esther
Their children include:
- Joseph Royce (ca 1663-19 Dec 1707)
- Joanna Royce (ca 1670-ca 1688)
- Margery Royce (-ca 12 Sep 1683)
- Mercy Royce (-4 Feb 1675)
- Mary Royce (12 Aug 1675-)
- Esther Royce (15 Aug 1677-)
- Lydia Royce (28 May 1680-bet 1747 and 1651)
- Nehemiah Royce (18 Mar 1682/3-30 Oct 1725)
The oldest house in Wallingford is the Nehemiah Royce House on North Main Street. Nehemiah Royce (who died in 1706) and his first wife Hannah, were among the first settlers of Wallingford. Royce‘s saltbox house was built in 1672. The house is also known as the Washington Elm House because it used to be next to the Washington Elm: in 1775, when George Washington was on his way to take command of the Continental Army in Massachusetts, he stopped in Wallingford to purchase gunpowder and addressed the people of the town in front of the house near the Elm. (Is it possible George Washington slept here?) The house was moved to its present location in 1924. For a time it was a museum and then was used as a residence by Choate Rosemary Hall, until donated to the Wallingford Historic Preservation Trust in the 1990s.
Nehemiah Royce House Sources:
Nehemiah Royce House 538 North Main Street, built in 1672. It is the oldest house in town and one of the most notable examples of saltbox construction in Connecticut.
A nearby ground marker records its history. The house is owned by the Historic Preservation Trust.
From "History of Wallingford, Conn: From Its Settlement in 1670 to the Present Time, Including Meriden, which was One of Its Parishes Until 1806, and Cheshire, which was Incorporated in 1780"
By Charles Henry Stanley Davis Published by The author, 1870
Nehemiah Royce ( shoemaker ) was in Wallingford with his wife Hannah, among the first settlers. She died June 19, 1677, and married Esther ----, who died Sept. 12, 1706. He died Nov. 7, 1706, ae. 72 years. He was the original owner of the James Rice place at the head of Main-st., in Wallingford.
Children: 11 Mary, b Aug. 12, 1673, d Aug. 12, 1675 ; 12 Mercy, b Feb. 4, 1675, d Feb. 24, 1675 ; 14 Esther, b Oct. 15, 1678 ; 15 Lydia, b May 28, 1680, m Daniel Messenger ; 16 Nehemiah, b May 18, 1682-3, m Keziah Hall, Feb. 9, 1700 ; 17 Margery, d Sept. 12, 1683.
Y-DNA Haplogroup: I1b2a
The Nehemiah Royce House (1672) in Wallingford, CT is open to the public summers. It is an exhibit of 17th century furniture, pewter, costumes, china. The Nehemiah Royce House has the distinction of being the oldest house in Wallingford. This classic New England saltbox was built in 1672, just two years after our town was founded. Until recently Choate Rosemary Hall, who donated the house to the Trust in 1995, had used it as a residence. While it is reasonably sound structurally and is often used for Trust events, looks can be deceiving. For example, those bright spots all over the roof are not photographic "highlights"; they are aluminum patches needed to stop the worst of the leaks!
Prior to being acquired by Choate Rosemary Hall, the house was used as a residence by members of the Royce family.
NEHEMIA4 ROYCE (ROBERT3, ROBERT2, THOMAS1) was born 16361, and died November 07, 1706 in Wallingford, CT1. He married HANNAH MORGAN November 20, 1660 in New London, CT1. She died June 19, 1677 in Wallingford, CT1.
Notes for NEHEMIA ROYCE: Nehemia was the original owner of the James Rice place at the head of Main Street in Wallingford, CT.
More About NEHEMIA ROYCE: Occupation: shoemaker
Sam Behling writes: Nehemiah ROYCE. Born abt 1636. Nehemiah died in Wallingford, New Haven, CT on 7 Nov 1706; he was 70. Occupation: Shoemaker. On 20 Nov 1660 when Nehemiah was 24, he married Hannah MORGAN, in New London, New London, CT. Hannah died in Wallingford, New Haven, CT on 12 Dec 1706; she was 64. Born on 18 Jul 1642 in Roxbury, Litchfield, CT. They had the following children:
18 i. Joseph (~1663-1707) ii. Joanna. Born abt 1663 in Wallingford, New Haven, CT. Joanna died in Wallingford, New Haven, CT abt 1688; she was 25. Joanna married Walter JOHNSON. iii. Margery (Died Young). Margery died on 12 Sep 1683 in Wallingford, New Haven, CT. iv. Mercy (Died Young). Born on 4 Feb 1675/1676 in Wallingford, New Haven, CT. Mercy died on 24 Feb 1675/1676 in Wallingford, New Haven, CT. v. Mary. Born on 12 Aug 1676. About 1702 when Mary was 25, she married Samuel LEWIS. vi. Esther. Born on 15 Oct 1678 in Wallingford, New Haven, CT. Esther died aft 1731; she was 52. On 23 Nov 1698 when Esther was 20, she married John BULL, in Farmington, Hartford, CT. 19 vii. Lydia (1680-<1751) 20 viii. Nehemiah (1682-1725)
BIOGRAPHY: Among first settlers in Wallingford; shoemaker. He was the original owner of the fames Rice place at the head of Main-st., in Wallingford
Biography of Nehemiah RoyceEarly life: He was born about 1636 in England, the son of Robert Royce (c1606-1676) and Mary. He may have been the Nehemiah Royce christened on May 30, 1637 at St Michael the Greater Anglican Church, Stamford, Lincolnshire, England. There was only one Nehemiah Royce in all of England, coincidentally christened 1637, whose parents coincidentally are named Robert and Mary. He died on November 1, 1706 at New Haven, Connecticut and is buried in Center Street Cemetery, Wallingford, Connecticut
Marriage and family: On Nov. 20, 1660, he married Hannah Morgan at New London New London County, Connecticut. They were the parents of nine children. She was born on July 18, 1642 at Roxbury, Suffolk County, Massachusetts and died on June 19, 1677 at Wallingford, New Haven County, Connecticut. She was the daughter of James Morgan and Margery Hill. He married as his second wife, Esther Moss in 1678.
Royce, a carpenter, joiner and blacksmith by trade, was one of Wallingford's original 38 proprietors authorized by the Connecticut General Assembly in 1667 to purchase land from Mantowese and Sunk Squa, daughter of the Great Sachem of the Quinnipiacs. On May 12, 1670, Wallingford was incorporated and about 126 people settled in the town. On May 11, 1693 Royce was elected deputy representing Wallingford to the Court of the Connecticut Colony .
Father to both Joseph and Nehemiah Rice.
Joseph's is grandfather to Phebe Rice (b. 12/30/1743)who marries Nehemiah's grandson, Ebenezer Rice (b. 12/8/1745)
Nehemiah Royce's Timeline
Long Sutton, Somerset, England
Wallingford, New Haven , Connecticut
Wallingford (New Haven) Connecticut
Wallingford, New Haven County, Connecticut, USA