|Birthplace:||Weymouth, Dorset, England|
|Death:||Died in Rehoboth, (Present Bristol County), Plymouth Colony|
|Place of Burial:||East Providence, Providence County, Rhode Island, United States|
Son of James Walker and Widow of James Walker
|Occupation:||Arrived in Mass 1656, Church deacon|
|Managed by:||Elsie Clute|
Matching family tree profiles for Philip Walker
About Philip Walker
- Philip Walker
- M, #68770, b. circa 1631, d. 21 August 1679
- Father James Walker b. c 1600
- Mother Elizabeth Phillips b. c 1600
- Philip Walker was born circa 1631. He married Jane Metcalf in February 1654 at Rehoboth, Bristol, MA. Philip Walker died on 21 August 1679 at Rehoboth, Bristol, MA.
- Family Jane Metcalf b. 1632, d. 1707
- Samuel Walker+ b. Feb 1655, d. 12 Aug 1712
- Philip Walker+ b. Mar 1661, d. 17 Feb 1740
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2288.htm#i68770
- Philip Walker
- Birth: unknown
- Death: Aug., 1679
- Philip Walker, son of the Widow Walker, was born in England, and is first of mention in Colonial records in Massachusetts in a deed bearing his signature, dated, Rehoboth, 1653. He was one of the grand jury there, May 17, 1655, and took the oath of fidelity, June 1, 1658. His name appears in the first division of the Rehoboth North Purchase, June 22, 1658, and again on May 26, 1668. He became a prominent figure in the local affairs of early Rehoboth, and held many positions of trust and importance. In 1657 he became surveyor, and in the following year held the office of constable. He was on the grand inquest in 1668 and 1678; selectman between 1666 and 1675; and deputy to the General Court at Plymouth, in 1669. He was also a deacon of the church, and on November 2, 1663, was one of a committee appointed to build or buy a parsonage. In King Philip's War he contributed twenty-six pounds to the war fund, the largest sum with two exceptions in the town. He was a prosperous weaver, and his estate was appraised at 681 pounds, one of the largest in Rehoboth. He was buried August 21, 1679. Philip Walker married, about 1654, Jane Metcalf, daughter of Michael Metcalf, of Dedham. She survived him, and married (second) June 2, 1684, John Polley of Roxbury. She lived in the latter place until her death in 1702. Children: Samuel, born Feb., 1655; Sarah, Feb. 16, 1657; Philip, born in March 1661; Elizabeth, twin of Philip, born in March, 1661, drowned Aug. 7, 1664; Mary, born in May, 1663; Experience, in 1664-65, buried Nov. 10, 1674; Elizbeth, April 1, 1666; Michael, March 1, 1667, buried Feb., 1677; Ebenezer, 1676; Martha.
- (from History of the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations: Biographical; NY: The American Historical Society, Inc. 1920)
- The Philip Walker House, at 432 Massasoit Avenue in East Providence, still stands and is the 2nd oldest house in Rhode Island (1679). Some of the family's furnishings can be viewed today at the Hunt House Museum in East Providence.
- Family links:
- Samuel Walker (1655 - 1712)*
- Phillip Walker (1661 - 1740)*
- Ebenezer Walker (1676 - 1718)*
- (on "new" monument) Buried Aug. 21, 1679. To his Memory Aug. 21, 1879.
- Burial: Newman Cemetery, East Providence, Providence County, Rhode Island, USA
- Find A Grave Memorial# 14119758
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=14119758
- METCALF, Jane
- b. 24 MAR 1631/2 England
- d. 24 OCT 1701 Roxbury, Suffolk, Mass.
- Marriage: ABT 1654 Dedham, Norfolk, Mass.
- Spouse: WALKER, Philip
- b. ABT 1628 England
- d. AUG 1679 Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass.
- WALKER, Samuel
- WALKER, Sarah
- WALKER, Philip
- WALKER, Mary b. ABT MAY 1663 Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass. d. MAY 1694 Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass.
- WALKER, Elizabeth
- WALKER, Michael b. ABT MAR 1667/8 Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass. d. BEF 16 FEB 1677/8 Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass.
- WALKER, Experience b. ABT OCT 1672 Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass. d. BEF 10 NOV 1674 Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass.
- WALKER, Ebenezer
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_758.htm#73
- Michael Metcalf, Sr
- Birth: 1591 Norfolk, England
- Death: Dec. 24, 1664 Dedham, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, USA
- Michael Metcalf, b. as he claimed at Tatterford parish, Norfolk, England. As the writer is a descendant of Michael, that he was the son of Rev. Leonard Metcalf of Tatterford is not proved. Notwithstanding, Michael has been linked to a memorial for Rev. Leonard Metcalf of Tatterford in the hope that clearer evidence will eventually be found that proves Michael's paternity. But, that 1586 has traditionally been Michael's assumed year of birth is also not supported by the extant record.
- In a Feb. 2, 1635/6 deposition:
- • Michael Metcalfe of Norwich, dornick weaver, aged 45, born at Tatterford, co. Norfolk, testified regarding the practices of clergyman of St. Edmund's, Norwich [NEHGR 86:253.]
- In this era a person's age was stated by the word "aged," shorthand in English for the Latin term Ætatis suæ (literally, the time of one's age), in which a person's age begins on the day of birth versus on a chronological year basis (i.e., at birth a person is in the first year of their age.) In the foregoing deposition Michael indicated he was then 44 years old, born within the one year period that began Feb. 3, 1590/1 in the modern Gregorian calendar. In the original Tatterford church record the month of February 1590, in the old Julian calendar, would have been included in the record for the year 1590, with February the 12th and last month of the old Julian calendar (until 1752 the English year was based on the Julian calendar, in which March 25th was the first day of the new year.) Unfortunately, the year 1590 is stated as "not to be found." Although at the time the English civil year began on March 25th, English parish records considered the entire month of March the first month of the ecclesiastic calendar. While the ecclesiastic year of 1591 is found in the Tatterford parish register, Michael's baptism does not appear in 1591.
- Fourteen months later on Apr. 8, 1637, Michael was examined for permission to emigrate to New England:
- • The examinacion of Michill Metcalfe of Norwich, Dornix weauer, aged 45 yeares and Sarrah his wife, aged 39 yeares, with 8 Children, Michill: Thomas: Marey: Sarrah: Elizabeth: Martha: Joane: and Rebeca: and his Saruant Thomas Comberbach, aged 16 yeares, are desirous to passe to boston in New England to inhabit [ibid, 14:325.]
- Fourteen year old son John, apparently omitted by the scribe, also sailed with the family.
- In the latter examination by the King's port officials, Michael indicated he was then "aged" 45 (i.e., 44 years old), born within the one year period that began April 9, 1592. The ecclesiastic year 1592 is completely missing in the Tatterford register whereas the year 1593 is fully extant but does not contain Michael's baptism.
- On an obelisk at Center Cemetery at Lebanon, Conn. is an inscription for Michael's 3rd gr. grandson Eliphalet Metcalf (William,5 Jonathan,4 Jonathan,3 Michael,2 Michael,1) and his wife Mary West. The inscription traces Eliphalet Metcalf's paternal ancestry, the first part stating:
- • This branch of the Metcalf family, descended from Michael who was born at Tatterford, England in 1586 and immigrated to America and settled at Dedham, Mass. in 1637 where he died Dec. 27, 1664.
- There is no Michael, son of Rev. Leonard Metcalf, who was baptised at Tattersford in the extant 1586 or 1587 parish record. The only children of Rev. Metcalf baptized in those years begins with son Leonard, written in Latin as Leonardus, Sept. 3, 1586, who was buried at Tatterford Aug. 10, 1590. This is followed by the baptism of son Nicholas, written as Nichus, July 20, 1587. Nicholas became Rev. Nicholas Metcalf and d. testate in England July 17, 1664.
- Based on the above, the writer has adopted the year 1591 as the likely year of Michael's birth. He was not likely to misstate his age while testifying in God's house or lie about his age to the King's officials.
- On Oct. 13, 1616 at St. Bartholomew church at Heigham, west and outside the ancient wall of the City of Norwich, England, Michael m. Sarah Ellwyn (q.v. Elwyn), bapt. June 13, 1593 at Heigham. She d. Nov. 30, 1644 at Dedham, Mass. They had eleven acknowledged children b. at the City of Norwich, England, of which nine survived to immigrate to New England.
- At the time, ecclesiastic law of the Church of England required children to be baptized at the parish church where the parents resided. The first seven children were purportedly b. at the small parish of St. Benedict, inside the ancient west wall of the City of Norwich. However, only four of the seven have recorded baptisms in that parish register (1617, 1619, 1626 and 1628). The other three were purportedly born in years in which the parish record is missing (all of 1620, 1621, 1622, 1623, and most of 1624). It is possible that from 1620 to 1625 Michael resided in another parish at Norwich, but the children with missing baptisms cannot be found in other extant parish registers at or near Norwich.
- The last four children of the family were b. at the small parish of St. Edmond in the northeast section of the city bordering the north side of the River Wensum. All four have baptism entries in that parish register.
- Michael Metcalf had no known son named Joseph as claimed by the 1898 "Metcalf Genealogy." Whereas a Joseph Metcalf was made a freeman of the Mass. Bay on Mar. 4, 1634/5, who presumably was at least 24 years of age, he was born not later than five years prior to Michael Metcalf marrying his first known wife. In May 1645 at 24 years of age, Michael Metcalf's third child and eldest surviving son, Michael Metcalf, Jr. of Dedham, Mass., was made freeman of the Mass. Bay. This was followed by Michael's fourth child and second eldest surviving son John, who at 24 years of age was made freeman of the Mass. Bay on May 26, 1647.
- Michael Metcalf, Sr. d. testate Dec. 24, 1664 at Dedham, Mass. He and wife Sarah had eleven known children, all b. at Norwich, England.
- • i. Michael Metcalf, b. Nov. 13 (bapt. Nov. 30 at St. Benedict), 1617, bur. in infancy Jan. 20, 1617/8 at St. Benedict's Churchyard.
- • ii. Mary Metcalf, b. Feb. 14 (bapt. Feb. 17 at St. Benedict), 1618/9, d. May 5, 1676 at Dedham, Mass.; m. Nov. 24, 1642 at Dedham, Mass., Henry Wilson, who d. at Dedham Feb. 8, 1688/9. Five children recorded at Dedham.
- • iii. Michael Metcalf, Jr., purportedly b. Aug. 29, 1620 at St. Benedict parish at Norwich, England (no extant baptisms for the year 1620). He d. Mar. 25, 1654 at Dedham, Mass. He m. Apr. 2, 1644 at Dedham, Mass., Mary Fairbanks, dau. of Jonathan Fairbanks, Sr. and Grace Smith, b. or bapt. Feb. 3, 1621/2 at Halifax in Yorkshire, England. They had five children. The wid. Mary m. 2) Aug. 2, 1654 at Dedham as his 2nd wife, Christopher Smith, who d. Nov. 7, 1676 at Dedham. Mary (Fairbanks)(Metcalf) Smith d. June 4, 1684 at Dedham. She had one child by her second husband, son John Smith.
- • iv. John Metcalf, b. Sept. 5 (no bapt. rec.), 1622, d. Oct. 8, 1690 at Medfield, Mass.; m. Mar. 23, 1646/7 at Dedham, Mass., Mary Chickering, who d. Mar. 15, 1697/8 at Medfield, Mass. Eight children recorded at Dedham and Medfield.
- • v. Sarah Metcalf, b. Sept. 10 (no bapt. rec.), 1624, d. Feb. 25, 1671/2 at Dedham, Mass.; m. by late 1648, Robert Onion, who d. Nov. 21, 1673 at Dedham. Seven children recorded at Dedham.
- • vi. Elizabeth Metcalf, b. Oct 4 (sic, bapt. 20 Sept. at St. Benedict), 1626, d. May 1, 1711 at Lynn, Mass.; m. Sept. 15, 1648 at Dedham, Mass. as his 2nd wife, Lieut. Thomas Bancroft, who d. Aug. 19, 1691 at Lynn, Mass. Nine children.
- • vii. Martha Metcalf, b. Mar. 27 (bapt. same day at St. Benedict), 1628, d. Dec. 26, 1717 at Concord, Mass.; m. 1) William Bignall, m. 2) Aug. 20, 1662 at Concord, Mass. as his 2nd wife, Nathaniel Stow, who d. May 30, 1684 at Concord, Mass. Three children by her 1st and three children by her 2nd marriage.
- • viii. Dea. Thomas Metcalf, b. Dec. 27, 1629 (bapt. Jan. 1, 1629/30 at St. Edmund), d. Nov. 16, 1702 at Dedham, Mass.; m. 1) Sept. 12, 1656 at Dedham, his step-sister Sarah Pidge, who d. Jan. 20, 1678/9 at Dedham; m. 2) Dec. 2, 1679 at Rehoboth, Mass., the widow Anna (Chickering) Paine, who d. Jan. 1, 1688/9 at Dedham; purportedly m. 3) Jan. 22, 1688/9, the widow Mehitable (Hand) Savel, who purportedly m. 3) June 22, 1713 Josiah Chapin and d. Dec. 2, 1724. Eight known children of the family, all by 1st wife Sarah.
- • ix. Anne Metcalf, b. Mar. 1 (bapt. Mar. 26 at St. Edmund), 1630/1, bur. in infancy May 31, 1632 at St. Edmund's Churchyard.
- • x. Jane Metcalf, b. Mar. 24 (bapt. Mar. 29 at St. Edmund), 1632/3, d. Oct. 24, 1701 at Roxbury (now Boston), Mass.; m. 1) bef. 1656, Dea. Philip Walker, who was bur. Aug. 21, 1679 at Rehoboth, Mass. Ten children of record at Rehoboth. She m. 2) June 2, 1684 at Roxbury, Mass. as his 3rd wife, John Polley, who d. Apr. 2, 1689 at Roxbury.
- • xi. Rebecca Metcalf, b. Apr. 5 (bapt. Apr. 12 at St. Edmund), 1635, d. Dec. 8, 1667 at Dedham, Mass.; m. Apr. 5, 1659 at Dedham, John MacIntosh, who d. Aug. 22, 1691 at Dedham. Two known children of the marriage.
- Michael Metcalf m. 2) Aug. 13, 1645 at Dedham, Mary Sothey (q.v. Sothy), widow of Thomas Pidge of Roxbury, Mass. There were no children of this marriage. She d. Feb. 12, 1672/3 at Dedham. Mary m. 1) Thomas Pidge in England by whom she had nine children, six who emigrated with their parents to Roxbury by June 1633 where Thomas Pidge d. Dec. 30, 1643. In 1656 Thomas Pidge's dau. Sarah became the first wife of her step-brother, Dea. Thomas Metcalf.
- Edited 7/9/2015
- Family links:
- Leonard Metcalf (1542 - 1616)
- Sarah Ellwyn Metcalf (1593 - 1644)
- Mary Sothy Pidge Metcalf (1589 - 1673)
- Mary Metcalf Wilson (1619 - 1676)*
- Michael Metcalf (1620 - 1654)*
- John Metcalf (1622 - 1690)*
- Sarah Metcalf Onion (1624 - 1672)*
- Elizabeth Metcalf Bancroft (1626 - 1711)*
- Martha Metcalf Stow (1628 - 1717)*
- Thomas Metcalf (1629 - 1702)*
- No gravestone is known to exist, or if it once existed has crumbled away with the passage of time. See note at the main page of the Old Village Cemetery of Dedham.
- Burial: Old Village Cemetery, Dedham, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, USA
- Find A Grave Memorial# 64230860
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=64230860
In a four (4) year search I can not find a reference to his mother other then "Widow Walker" Browe and No reference to her husband as other then just Walker.
Walter G. Ashworth 8th Great Grandson to "Widow Walker"
Philip Walker emigrated with his mother, "Widow Walker". His sister Sarra (Sarah) and Brother James sailed earlier in the Elizabeth on April 15, 1635, accompanying their uncle John Browne.
Philip Walker (1.Widow1) born abt 1625, Weymouth, Dorset, England, occupation Farmer, married ~1654, in ?, Jane Metcalf, born 27 Mar 1632, St. Edmondsbury, Suffolk, England, (daughter of Michael Metcalf and Sarah Elwyn) died 1702, ?, 10 children. Philip died Aug 1679, ?, 10 children.
Notes: Known as Deacon Walker later in life. Philip Was about 15 when he emigrated with his mother. His sister Sarra (Sarah) and Brother James sailed earlier in the Elizabeth on April 15, 1635, accompanying their uncle John Browne. Philip wrote poetry on historic themes (like King Phillip's War). On March 30, 1676, Indians under King Phillip burnt his house and barn. Rebuilding was completed by Phillip's heirs, still stands at the corner of Massasoit Ave. and N. Broadway in East Provience, R.I. Jane: Jane Metcalf and her ancestors are from unsupported internet data.
According to various sources, Philip Walker, Sr., was either a farmer or a weaver. Because of the lack of documentary records, we cannot say with absolute certainty exactly how Walker made his living.
Walker stands out as unique among his peers because of his religious leadership and literary hobby. He was a deacon in the Congregational Church (hence the title, "Deacon"), and in 1663 "was appointed one of a Committee, to buy or build a parsonage, or 'house of ministry.'"
Walker was also an amateur poet, who "wrote poetry on historic themes." King Philip's War (1675-1676) was the most notable subject he took up, inspiring his epic poem, Captan Perse & his coragios Company, about Captain Pierce's Battle and defeat of 26 March 1676. It is easy to understand why Walker was so moved by this brutal conflict, since it was this war in which he fought, in which his cousin was killed, and in which his home was probably one of the forty Rehoboth residences burned by the Indians.
Wealth & Estate
Philip Walker, Sr., was one of the wealthiest men in Rehoboth. When he died, his estate was appraised at £631.83, with his landholdings totaling nearly 500 acres. According to his estate inventory, Walker owned forty livestock, a £200 homestead (including a house and barn), and land as far away as Swansea. He was also the co-owner of a corn mill and a saw mill, his share in both appraised at £80. Incidentally, Walker's son, Michael, died by falling through the floor of this saw mill, near the water wheel, and drowning in the stream below.
Walker's homestead was located "on Watchemoket Neck, south of the Great Plain, at what is now [in 1861] the Kinnicut Place, on the road from Providence, R. I., to Barrington; about 1 mile from India Bridge, and in Rehoboth, now Seekonk, an attractive and fertile spot, overlooking the Providence river." Walker's house, unfinished at the time of his death, but completed by his heirs, still stands today, according to one of his descendants. It is supposedly located on the corner of Massasoit Avenue and North Broadway, in East Providence, R.I. (formerly Rehoboth).
Public Life & Civic Duties
Philip Walker, Sr., was relatively active in civic affairs, holding all of the major public offices. He was a freeman (1658+), Surveyor of the Highways (1657), Constable (1658), deputy (1669), and regular juror (1655-1678). Walker was appointed by the court to settle the estate of Richard Bullocke in 1670, and was chosen in 1669 to serve on a Rehoboth committee, "to meet a Committee of the new town of Swansey, to settle a controversy, (probably about boundaries)."
We must also consider Walker's dual role as a church deacon, which implied both religious and municipal leadership. As Demos notes, religion "surrounded and suffused all aspects of experience," and church and state "were everywhere intertwined."
Walter G. Ashworth, 7th Great Grandson
Philip was the second richest man of Rehoboth, a farmer, constable, weaver, saw mill proprietor, deacon of his church, and a poet and writer of no mean ability. He was active in civic affairs, and gave money for King Philip's War. His home was burned by the Indians in 1676 during King Philip's War, and rebuilt in 1679.
Following two verses from one of his poems uses his own shorthand and spelling:
Oft all our cumforts in this presant world
To fflyer and sword our Carkases are hurld
After abused to Savig best a prayer
That doea and will doea thus from day to day.
Tis very just to doea the best wee can
To yous all mens by Sword or poysned dram
To send such souls to ther own place mor fitt
If God Sucksed and say amen to it.
Another poem inspired by King Philip's War.
"Captan Perse & his coragios Company"
by Philip Walker
It ffell vnlucky that thi march wos soner
then the apoynted time to that meroner' (marooner--buccaneer)
in thy picaring thou Lackst thos muskitters (pickeering-scouting)
and his Experianc gaynd mongst Buckanners
Which are a Ruged Cru of hunting rouers (crew)
much Like thes sauag sneking brutish grouers, (hunters in the woods)
(glossed by Walker)
But man Euents cannot at all fforse (foresee)
It is the eternall gods propritee
ffor t twas decreed by that Eternal power (it was)
that gaue them being to fixe that fatal ower (hour)
That orders men & times & ends & all
Efittiant Cases Epidemicall (causes)
not as the ould Philosiphers beleue (old)
prodiggious planits il Efectts doe giue
Thay did Like Hectters whoea well deserue that name
Now ly Intered in the bed of ffame
Whoea lost there Blud not much vnlike to marters
by disaduantage with these helish Tarters
In ffighting for ther Cuntry & ther ffrinds
haue dun ther dooea mad hear ther final Ends (due-obhgation)
meethinks ther vallour should owr harts prouoke
To take reueng ffor such a dredfull stroke
Stought hartts stood too t till Last disdaynd to [fly]
such ods has mad the Rooges er since mor shy
who haue no cas to brag of victtory (cause)
But glue it out thay neuer so wear bangd (were defeated)
I hoape in time thayl all be shot or hangd
Tis sed at york there is a scarlet dyer (dyer-one who is liable to suffer]
If t bee a ridl antiant ffames a lyer (fame is)
Itt may bee fferd weer hudwinkt in a trance
as wos owr vergin qucene by Imps from france [Queen Elizabeth]
ffor maters ffrane as if that Dragon beste [frown]
were hither flone to make his helish nest
with opn jase Intending to deuour (jaws)
that child of grace Lord god upone him shour (shower)
The vials of thy wrath apear for thine
Lett all the pours of heuen & earth Combin[e] (powers)
Let hell know it is Curbd by pours deuine
Show now thi self Lord in owr habitations
who hast so scatterdly disposd owr stations
& giues vs Corig spent vs from thee
for thers no other help or place to fflee
Lett shops & crops & men of all Estates
sett hartt & hand to fight without debats
ffor non thers now can thinke ther safe securd
how er suplyd within owr owne Imurd
Improue the vtmost depending creturs can
Leue the suckses to him that ruls Each man (success)
Though what hers spoke is but a singl notion
& Like a drop lett ffall into the otion (ocean)
Yit my aduice If I might hered bee (heard)
Tis t to make a uertu of nesesitee
Arme & Incorig owr Indins whot wee Can
a theef reuers may proue an honist man:
The Boston Ilanders Capcod Monhegon
ffor honer profitt smaI thayl fight winnegon (winnegon = well)
This represents approximately 1/10 of the entire remaining poem.
Here is my "translation" for those who find Philip's interesting spelling a little difficult to read (I have put question marks after words I am not sure of):
Captain Pierce and His Courageous Company
It fell unlucky that the march was sooner
Then the appointed time to that marooner
In thy scouting thou lacks those musketeers
And his experience gained amongst buccaneers.
Which are a rugged crew of hunting rowers
Much like these savage sneaking brutish growers
But man events cannot at all foresee
It is the eternal gods property
For it was decreed by that eternal power
That gave them being to fix that fatal hour
That orders men and times and ends and all
Efficient causes epidemical
Not as the old philosophers believe
Prodigious planets ill effects do give
They did like Hectors who well deserve that name
Now lie interred in the bed of fame
Who lost there blood not much unlike to martyrs
By disadvantage with these hellish Tartars
In fighting for their country and their friends
Have done their due made hear their final ends
Me thinks their valor should our hearts provoke
To take revenge for such a dreadful stroke
Stout hearts stood too till last disdained to fly
Such odds has made the Rooges? ever since more shy
Who have no cause to brag of victory
But give it out they never were so banged
I hope in time they'll all be shot or hanged
Tis said at york there is a scarlet dyer
If to be a riddle ancient fame is a liar
It may be ferd? we're hoodwinked in a trance
As was our virgin queen by imps from France
For maters frown as if that dragon best
Were hither flown to make his hellish nest
With open jaws intending to devour
That child of grace Lord God upon him shower
The vials of thy wrath appear for thine
Let all the powers of heaven and earth combine
Let hell know it is curbed by powers divine
Show now thy self Lord in our habitations
Who has so scatteredly disposed our stations
And gives us courage spirit us from thee
For there's no other help or place to flee
Let shops and crops and men of all estates
Set heart and hand to fight without debates
For none there's now can think they're safe secured
How ever supplied within our own Imured?
Improve the utmost depending creatures can
Leave the success to him that rules each man
Though what here is spoke is but a single notion
And like a drop let fall into the ocean
Yet my advice if I might heard be
'Tis to make a virtue of necessity
Arm and encourage our indians what we can
A thief reverse may prove an honest man
The Boston Islanders, Cape Cod, Mohegan
For honor profit small they'll fight winnegon.
Descendants of Philip Walker
Generation One 1. Philip1 Walker; married Jane Metcalf, daughter of Michael Metcalf and Sarah Ellwyn, ~1654 at ?; born circa 1625 at Weymouth, Dorset, England; died Aug 1679 at Rehoboth MA; buried 21 Aug 1679 at Rehoboth MA.
He was (an unknown value) 10 children. He was Farmer. He Known as Deacon Walker later in life. Philip Was about 15 when he emigrated with his mother. His sister Sarra (Sarah) and Brother James sailed earlier in the Elizabeth on April 15, 1635, accompanying their uncle John Browne. Philip wrote poetry on historic themes (like King Phillip's War). On March 30, 1676, Indians under King Phillip burnt his house and barn. Rebuilding was completed by Phillip's heirs, still stands at the corner of Massasoit Ave. and N. Broadway in East Provience, R.I. He "The first record of PHILIP WALKER, to whom the attendant circumstances of his early coming, to Rehoboth, point as a son of Widow Walker, is a deed, with his signature attached, dated at Rehoboth in 1653. He had a brother James, who settled in Taunton. Philip Walker was by trade a weaver, but after his settlement in Rehoboth, he was a farmer.
From what part of England the family came, and the time of their arrival in this country, are alike unknown. It must have been as early as 1640. Philip came early into the possession of his mother's estate, and in 1654 he married Jane Metcalf. He was one of the grand jury in May 17, 1655, propounded for freedom June 8, 1655, and took the oath of fidelity June 1, 1658. On June 22, 1658, his name appears in the first division of Rehoboth North Purchase, when lots were drawn for "the meadow on the north side of the town," which is now Attleboro'; and again on the 26th of May, 1668, in the division of lands in the North Purchase. His home and farm were on Watchemoket Neck, on the road from Providence, Rhode Island, to what is now the little hamlet of Rumford, Rhode Island, an attractive spot of fertile land, overlooking Providence river. The ancient house erected by him, and in which he died in 1679, on ye 20. of August, is still standing in 1895. He held various positions of trust and honor, having been surveyor in 1657, constable in 1658, grand juror in 1668, selectman, and Deputy to Plymouth in 1669. He was also a Deacon in the church. During King Philip's war, the towns furnished money to carry it on, for the common defense. Many who served as soldiers contributed their share, and the list of these, still preserved, shows that the amount furnished by Philip Walker was oe26. Rehoboth was isolated, and especially exposed to the incursions of the savages. The first and last blood, of that fierce struggle, in which King Philip, or Metacomet, son of Massasoit, fought for the destruction of the colonists of New England, was shed in Rehoboth. It was there that the contest opened in 1675, and there it closed by the death of Philip in August, 1676. In March, 1676, the Indians fell upon Rehoboth, and burned forty houses, and their out-buildings. Among these was the house of Deacon Walker, which he replaced by the erection of a new one, though still unfinished, at the time of his death therein, three years later, in August, 1679. The various offices which he held, and his generous contributions for his country, and for Christ, are evidences of his character, and his usefulness as a citizen. At the time of his death he owned land, and estate, valued at oe681, and, as the record shows, was one of the wealthiest men in Rehoboth, where there were eighty-three estates. Previous to the year 1879, the location of the burial place of Philip Walker, had for three or four generations, been lost. In the summer of that year Mr. Christopher Dexter, who is one of the owners of the old homestead, and a lineal descendant of Philip Walker, after a thorough search among the fallen grave-stones, in the ancient burying-ground at Seekonk, finally succeeded in his quest. Lying deeply imbedded in the turf, and almost covered over, he found the ancient slate stone, one among hundreds of others of similar character, on which was rudely chiseled this simple inscription:
Ye 21. August.
As the town records show that Philip Walker "was buried Aug. 21, 1679," and the stone found was in the vicinity of the graves of other Walkers, of later generations, there was left no reason to doubt, but that it marked the grave of Philip Walker.
This ancient stone is about two feet in length, ten inches in width at the bottom, and six inches in width at the top, by two and a half inches in thickness.
Mr. Dexter, with true and laudable reverence for the memory of our common ancestor, set up this old stone, at the foot of the ancient grave, and at its head, erected a new, substantial, and every way fitting stone, to mark the now memorable place, with this inscription:
THE GRAVE OF
Ye 21. August 1679
to his Memory
Aug. 21. 1879
The following article from the columns of the Providence Journal of September 20, 1891, is so replete with items of interest, so picturesque in description, that it is inserted in these pages with pleasure, and with appreciative thanks to the unknown writer, for his valuable contribution.
AN ANCIENT HOMESTEAD. THE CELEBRATED WALKER FARM-HOUSE, IN EAST PROVIDENCE. A PICTURESQUE RELIC OF EARLY COLONIAL DAYS.
One of the quaintest of the many quaint houses in the ancient part of East Providence is the Walker homestead. Its old-fashioned well, with its long sweep, its well kept lawn and close trimmed hedges, and withal its ancient appearance, have long marked it as a place of interest. A short drive from this city, over the Red bridge, and midway between the bridge and the village of Rumford, there stands the ancient farm-house. Not a vestige of paint remains on its storm-worn exterior. The roof is peaked, the windows small, and but a passing glance will reveal its early architecture. The antiquity and quaintness of the structure are impressive, and, according to the tradition of the family which owns it, its erection dates from 1678 or thereabouts. The exact date cannot be determined. For over two hundred years the old house has withstood the wars of humanity, and of the elements. But time has laid its grip upon the old place, and its timbers are now showing signs of decay. The sills on the cellar walls, and which support the first floor, are of rough hewn timber, smoothed off on one side with an axe, and the shingles were made in the same rough manner.
The drive leading up to the farm, along Massasoit avenue, is one in which a visitor inhales the pure air, and enjoys the fine roadside scenery. It is a quiet spot, free from the noise and bustle which characterize city life; the bellowing of the cattle and the wind whistling through the trees, is all that breaks the stillness.
Everything about the old house seems to have been constructed with a view to durability, and at the time of its erection it was considered a marvel of architecture. At the south end of the building is an old well sweep, which betokens the presence of those cool waters, found only in the country, and it is a source of pleasure to a weary traveler on a hot summer's day, to lower the moss-covered bucket down into the pure sparkling water, and taste its refreshing coolness. On the north side of the old house, there is an apple orchard, and the inevitable concomitants of barn, shed, carriage house, chicken house, etc., which give the impression of home life, while in front, stand immense elm trees, with verdure-clothed branches, towering high above, and sheltering the old house, from the fury of the gale.
The interior of the dwelling also reminds one of the primitive style of house building, with its low ceiling, bare beams, and large open fireplaces. A huge brick chimney takes up no small part of the house, and is twelve by sixteen feet at its base. Some of the rooms are quite small, and the well-worn, boarded floors, are sunken, and present an uneven appearance. In the old house to-day can be seen many articles, which remind one of the Old World. In one of the small bedrooms, on the lower floor, there is an old set of bureaus, and a cupboard. Here is stored away a lot of ornamental blue crockery, which was brought from England, in the seventeenth century.
Away up in the garret, can be seen many old articles of furniture, that have lain there for generations. There are also old hand-looms, on which the Walkers, in the early part of the present century, used to weave carpets for home use.
Embracing about ninety-six acres, the farm is one of the largest in the town of East Providence, and is beautifully located, extending from Broadway, to the banks of the Seekonk. During the summer may be seen fields of waving corn, and the pastures dotted with shady trees, about which cattle graze. About three hundred yards in the rear of the house, and shaded by a thick growth of trees, are a number of little hills, which are supposed to have been corn hills, where the Indians planted corn before the advent of the white man. These little mounds of earth have been there ever since Philip Walker, the founder of the old homestead, first received the grant of the land, in 1655. On the farm have been found, at various times, a number of Indian arrowheads, and a fine specimen of an Indian battle axe. These are now in the possession of Mr. Christopher Dexter, one of the present owners of the farm.
About the birthplace of Philip Walker, the original owner of the Walker homestead, nothing is known. His mother, known as Widow Walker, was one of the colony from Weymouth and Hingham, Mass., that formed the first general settlement in the town of East Providence, then a part of Rehoboth, in the spring of 1644. This colony of settlers was composed of fifty-eight men and their families. The first purchase of land, for the settlement of the town, was made in 1641, but it was not until 1644 that the first general settlement was made, although one John Hazell resided at Seekonk in 1642. From the quit claim deed of King Philip, in 1668, it appears that the first purchase of land included the original town of Rehoboth, and was made of Osamequin, more commonly known among the English as Massasoit, by John Brown, and Edward Winslow, of Plymouth. The first meeting of the original planters was held on April 9, 1645, and on the same day lots were drawn for the "Great Plain," beginning on the west side of the river. Widow Walker was among those who drew lots on that day.
June 22, 1658, the name of Philip Walker appears as one of the drawers in the first division of Rehoboth, when lots were drawn for the meadow on the north side of the town, and again on May 26, 1668, in the division of lands. Philip Walker was a weaver by occupation. He was very industrious, and accumulated a property, which was considered very large in those days. In the allotment, in 1671, his estate was estimated to be worth oe387, which amount was exceeded by only two in the town, the whole number at that time being seventy-eight. In 1678 he was exceeded by only one, in the valuation of eighty-three estates. He held several positions of honor.
At a town meeting held March 17, 1655, he was chosen a grand juror. He was propounded for freedom June 8, 1655, and took the oath of fidelity June 1, 1658. Among other positions he occupied, were those of surveyor, and constable. He was on the grand inquest, and served as Deputy to Plymouth in 1669. In May, 1669, he was chosen one of a committee to meet a committee from the town of Swansea, to settle a controversy about boundaries. In November, 1663, one Goodman Walker, was appointed one of the committee to buy, or build a parsonage for the ministry, and it is generally supposed that Goodman was Philip, as there is no trace of any other Walkers in Rehoboth, at that time.
In 1675 commenced what to the little colony was a reign of terror, the Indian war, known as King Philip's war, and the town was obliged to sustain this war against Philip. Many of those who served as private soldiers advanced money, and a list is preserved showing the amount furnished by each individual. Here again the magnanimity of Philip Walker asserted itself, and his contribution, amounting to oe26, was only exceeded by two others, and was probably double the amount furnished by the seventy-seven remaining residents of the town. While his brother James of Taunton, was distinguished as a member of the council of war, for Plymouth colony, Philip, in Rehoboth, was foremost in furnishing the sinews of war. Rehoboth at that time was an isolated plantation, and especially exposed to the incursions of the savages. The war closed by the fall of King Philip in 1676. Philip Walker, it is said, was in that gallant fight with the people of Rehoboth, when Philip was beaten. It was during this war that the erection of the old homestead was begun, but it remained in an unfinished state for some time afterwards. The exact date of its completion is not known, but it is thought to be between 1676 and 1678. At any rate, Philip was living there in 1679, and died in that year, in the prime of life.
His position and services, are ample proof of the superior excellence of his character, and usefulness, and his death was a sad blow to the struggling little colony, which at that time numbered less than one hundred. His achievements, though few in number, were highly honorable, and there is not a single spot on his escutcheon. He was trusted with the most responsible offices in the church, except that of minister. On August 21, 1679, the inhabitants of the little colony gathered in the little church, to attend the funeral service, in honor of the departed deacon. His remains were interred in the old town burying ground, in what is now the village of Rumford. To-day there is a handsome monument which designates the grave of this early settler.
During all these years the house has remained in the possession of the descendants of Philip Walker, passing from father to the oldest son, until the death of Timothy Walker, in 1812, when it became the joint property of five daughters. The eldest of these girls was but eighteen, and having no money, nothing but the old homestead and lands, she was compelled to labor hard for the support of her younger sisters, and to keep the property together. Two of the sisters married two brothers, Edward and Henry H. Dexter, and resided on the farm; the others married and went away.
The present owners are Christopher Dexter, and Miss Abbie Dexter, cousins, and descendants of Philip Walker, on their mother's side. The care of the farm is in the hands of Mr. Joseph Peck. "
1 He "I. PHILIP WALKER,2 (2) was the son of "Widow Walker,1" of Rehoboth, and brother of James Walker or, of Taunton. (See 1st p.) The earliest record of him is a deed bearing his signature dated at Rehoboth, 1653. He was one of the Grand Jury, May 17, 1655, propounded for freedom, June 8, 1655, and took the oath of fidelity, June 1, 1658. In June 22, 1658, his name appears in the first divis-ion of Rehoboth No. Purchase, (now Attleboro',) when lots were drawn for "the meadow; on the North side of the Town," and again, May 26, 1668, in the division of lands, in the North Purchase.
His birth-place, and age; and date of his arrival in this country, are not known. He married, about 1654, Jane, dau. of - Butterworth, of Rehoboth, or Michael Metcalf, of Dedham.*
- The compiler had supposed, till lately, that PhilIp's wife was a Bntterworth as his son Samuel, had an Uncle Samuel Butterwortb." It Is, of coursee, possible, that a Butterworth married a sister of Philip, but it is not known that he bad any sister, except Sarah, w. of John Tisdale. What is more probable is that Butterworth was the uncle of Samuel's wife. Late investigation respecting "Joane Walker," dau. of Michael Metcalf, of Dedham, who, it is stated, In Metcalf's Genealogy, married Samuel (?) Walker, of Reboboth, has led to the opinion that it wes Philip, and not Samuel Walker, whom she married For reasons, see Samuel Walker, Immediately following the descendants of
She survived him, and afterward m. June 2, 1684, John Polley, of Roxbury, and lived there till her death, in 1702. Dea. Walker was buried Aug.21, 1679, and his dust, reposes, no doubt, in the ancient grave yard, at Seekonk. His estate was appraised, Oct. 1679, on oaths of James Walker,** and Samuel Walker. In'y lb.68l.
- * There Is no record of any James Walker, In R., In the town register, nor in the Probate Rec. of the County. excepting as far back as 1643 and 45, which have been alluded to, in the sketch of James Walker, of Taunton (See 6 and 7 pp.) He was about 60 yrs. of age at the time of Philip's death. and was undoubtedly, the Jame's who helped appraise his estate.
His home and farm were on Watchemoket Neck, south of the Great Plain, at what is now the Kinnicut Place, on the road from Providence, R. I., to Barrington; about 1 mile from India Bridge, and in Rehoboth, now Seekonk, an attractive and fertile spot, overlooking the Providence river.*
- The first permanent settlement In Reboboth, was around the "Great Plain," In that part or the township called Seekonk, meening, "the abode of the wild goose." It is supposed that Rev. Mr. Newman, and his society, selected this spot because It was an extensive plain, already cleared of forest trees, and favorable for the cultivation of Indian corn. It is not far from the Pawtucket and Providence rivers, and had abundant facilities for obtaining fish and fowl.
He left a house unfinished, which the Court ordered to be completed at the expense of the estate, The estate was to be divided as follows:---
"In reference vnto the disposall of the estate of Phillip Walker, late of Rebohoth, deceased, the Court ordered, that the now house in building shall be finished out of the whole intire estate, and that those that shall injoy it, shall make some proportionable abatement, of what shall be theire pticular interest, in the said estate, and that the widdow shall have a comfortable, and convenient being therein, during her widdowhood, and that the said widdow shall have her third of the said estate, and the sume of twenty pound, for and towards the bringing vp of the youngest child, and that the remain-der of the said estate be deuided into seauen equall ptes, whereof the eldest, to have a double pte, and the rest to be deuided vnto the other children, in equall and alike 'proportions,"
She gave bond of administration, Oct. 29, 1679,
"June 7, 1681, This Court graunts libertie vnto Jane Walker, widdow of Rehoboth, to make sale of a small psell of meddow ground, with the advice and approbation of Mr, Daniell Smith and Ensigne Pecke, Philip Walker's occupation in 1659, was that of weaver. He became at length one of the wealthiest men of Rehoboth. In the allotments in 1671, his estate was estimated at £387, and was exceeded by only two in the town, the whole number being 78, In 1678, it was exceeded by only one in a valuation of 83 estates, He held various positions of trust and honor, He was surveyor, 1657, constable, 1658, on the Grand Inquest, 1668 and '78, one of the Select men, several yrs. between 1666 and '75, and was deputy to Plymouth, 1669, May 14, 1669, he was chosen one of a Committee, to meet a Committee of the new town of Swansey, to settle a controversy, (probably about boundaries,) lie also held the office of Deacon, in the Church, Nov. 2, 1663, Goodman Walker was appointed one of a Committee, to buy or build a parsonage, or "house for the ministry." This "Goodman,"* was undoubtedly Philip, as there is no trace of any other. Walker in R. at that time. June 20, 1678, the town having unanimously called Rev. Mr. Angier, to settle amongst them, "the townsmen and Deacon Walker, were chosen to treat with Mr. A. about it." It was also agreed upon by the town, that the sums to be raised, be freely subscribed, "if it may be," but if the subscriptions fell short, "Deacon Walker, Gilbert Brooks, and 3 others, should devise the mode to raise said sums."
In one period, the towns were obliged to sustain the war against Philip. Many who served as private soldiers, advanced money. The list of those in R. is preserved, and shows that the amount furnished by Deacon Walker, was £26, the largest sum, with two exceptions, and about double what was advanced by any of the 77 others in the catalogue.
Thus, like his elder brother, James, of Taunton, he was prominent in efforts and sacrifices for 'the maintenance and usefulness of the ministry, and the protection of the settlement from Indian ravages; sustaining at' least, one kind of relationship and resemblance to him, and one which is certainly no dishonor. While James in Taunton, was distinguished and useful as one of the Council of War, for Plymouth Colony, Philip, in Rehoboth, was among the foremost in furnishing the "sinews of 'war."' Rehoboth, an isolated plantation, was especially exp6sed to the incursions of the savages. The first and last blood of that fierce struggle, in which Metacomet or Philip, -the powerful and subtle ,Indian chieftain, fought for the destruction of all the colonists in New England, was shed in Rehoboth. Here the conflict opened in 1675, here it closed by the fall of Philip, in 1676.
Deacon Walker, it is probable, was in that gallant fight of the people of Rehohoth, with Philip, and his best warriors. Driven to desperation, and fearing if he remained at Mt. Hope, lie would be taken captive, the sachem fled into the interior, about the 1st of Aug. 1075. Encouraged by the strong appeals of Mr. Newman, their minister, and though not a part of the military force of the Colony, under his leadership, they pursued Philip, with great courage and activity. So rapid was their movement, that they overtook the rear of his forces at night, and with the aid of a party of friendly Moheagan Indians, who had joined them, attacked him and killed 30 of his men,' and carried away much booty, without any loss. When the minister led the way in so noble an enterprise, it is no groundless conjecture, that his Deacon was with him, especially one who had advanced money so generously for the defense of the settlement.
March 28, 1776, just after "Pierce's Fight," the Indians fell upon that part of Rehoboth, called Seekonk, and burnt 40 houses and 30 barns, As Dea. Walker, at the time of his decease, 3 yrs. later, left a house unfinished, it may have been, that his was one of those burnt by the Indians. Philip designed an assault upon Taunton, but apprised of it, the town was prepared for defense, and when he approached, July 11, '76, he was met with such determined resistance, that lie was compelled to fly, after burning two houses.*
- When Philip escaped from Mt. Hope, In '75, a part of his warriors scattered in the wilderness, about Taunton, and burnt the houses of James Walker, and John Tisdale, his brother in law. John Tisdale was killed, and 2 other soldiers, who were from Eastham. Though Baylies states this as in 1675, may not the "two houses" burnt July 11th, '76, have been those of J. W. and J. T. It is known that John Tisdlale was killed June 27, '76.
Apprehensive of their destruction, the Cape towns sent a Com. to Bridgwater, Taunton, and Rehoboth, to invite the inhabitants to take up their residence with them during the war, but the invitation was declined. The answer of Rehoboth, by their Com. indicates an unflinching bravery, and a sublime, though submissive faith. The heroic independence, the undaunted fortitude of those isolated settlers, in the face of the appalling perils which threatened their extinction, prove that they were worthy to he among the founders of civilization, and tile defenders of religion, in the New World, and are entitled to tile grateful remembrance and honor of their descendants and bene-ficiaries.
Though no tablets cast their shadows,
Where they slumber from their toil,
Blood of theirs. is on our meadows,
Dust of theirs is in our soil."
All the notices of the position and character of Dea. Philip Walker, though few in number, are highly honorable. There is not a single spot on his escutcheon. He was prosperous, accumulating a property that was large for that period. lie was entrusted with the most responsible office in the church, save that of the minister. It is indeed a grateful record, his generous contribution for his country and for Christ. His office and his services are a proof of superior excellence in character and usefulness, and leave no doubt that he was eminently a Patriot and a Christian. Cut down in the vigor of his manhood, his death must have been a sore calamity to the colony and the church "as when an armor bearer falleth."
"Buried Aug.21, 1679," as the brief, sad record is, it is no groundless conjecture, that the members of the church, and the inhabitants of Rehoboth, gathered on this early autumnal day, to recognize the Services, and honor the memory of the departed Deacon. The thought and utterance of their hearts, interpreting their great loss, may naturally have been, "How is the strong staff broken, and the beautiful rod."
His moral worth and piety have been inherited in a remarkable degree by his numerous descendants, unto the 8th and 9th genera-tions. They furnish proof that the moral character, is an inheritance more surely entailed than any other. They illustrate the law that, "if the root be holy, so are the branches." They teach that, if it be a great privilege, it is also a great responsibility, to "partake of the root and fatness of the olive tree," in a godly ancestry.
For their virtues and piety are to be remembered, not for the fostering of family pride, but as an example and incentive to a. worthy life.
It is an idle and self condemnatory boast to say, "we have Abraham to our father," unless we "do the works of Abraham." But a multitude sleep in the old grave yard, at Seekonk, who proved their legitimacy from Deacon Philip Walker, by their christian worth, and many others have gone forth into other wildernesses, to help establish, and sustain the institutions, connected with religion and the public weal, and are now laboring, or resting from their labors, in many sections of the country. Not many illustrious names are found among his numerous, and widely scattered descendants. They have swelled the ranks of the honest, and faithful yeomanry of the land. They have cherished and transmitted the doctrinal faith, and reproduced the piety and usefulness of their ancestor. Of a great number of them it is true.
"They were never squires and teachers,
They were never wise and great,
But they listened to their preachers,
Worshipped God, and loved tile State.
They were men of humble station,
They were women pure and true,
And they served their generation,
Worked, and fought, and lived for you.""2
Children of Philip1 Walker and Jane Metcalf were as follows:
2. i. Samuel2 Walker, born Feb 1655; married Martha Ide; married Elizabeth Unknown. 3. ii. Sarah Walker, born 16 Feb 1657; married Abraham Perrin. 4. iii. Elizabeth Walker, born 1661; married Henry Sweet. 5. iv. Philip Walker, born Mar 1661; married Mary Bowen; married Sarah Unknown. v. Mary Walker; born May 1663 at Rehoboth; died 8 May 1694 at Rehoboth. She Will proved May 28 1694.
vi. Michael Walker; born 1 Mar 1667; buried Feb 1677; died Feb 1677 at Rehoboth, MA, at age 9.3 He Fell through the floor of a sawmill unto the water wheel and swept under the ice.
vii. Experience Walker; died 1674; buried 10 Nov 1674. viii. Elizabeth Walker; born 1 Apr 1666 at Rehoboth; married Henry Sweet 31 Mar 1687. 6. ix. Ebenezer Walker, married Mehetable Willmarth; born Nov 1676 at Rehoboth MA ?; married Dorothy Abell. x. . Martha Walker Not of age in 1680.
Philip Walker's Timeline
Weymouth, Dorset, England
February 15, 1655
Rehoboth, (Present Bristol County), Plymouth Colony (Present Massachusetts)
February 16, 1657
Rehoboth, Plymouth Colony
March 15, 1662
Rehoboth, (Present Bristol County), Plymouth Colony (Present Massachusetts), (Present USA)
Rehoboth, Plymouth Colony
May 15, 1663
Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA
April 1, 1666
Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA
March 1, 1667
Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA
October 1, 1672
Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA