Sgt. Stewart Graeme Guthrie

How are you related to Sgt. Stewart Graeme Guthrie?

Connect to the World Family Tree to find out

Sgt. Stewart Graeme Guthrie's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Sgt. Stewart Graeme Guthrie

Birthplace: Dunedin, Otago, South Island, New Zealand
Death: November 13, 1990 (41)
Aramoana, Otago, South Island, New Zealand (Murdered - Aramoana Massacre)
Place of Burial: [Block AB, #37], Port Chalmers, Otago, South Island, New Zealand
Immediate Family:

Son of Jack Watt Guthrie and Beth May Guthrie
Husband of Private
Father of Private; Private and Private
Brother of Private

Occupation: Police Sergeant
Find A Grave ID: 148056554
Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:
view all

Immediate Family

About Sgt. Stewart Graeme Guthrie

The first armed police officer to arrive was Sergeant Stewart Guthrie, officer in charge of Port Chalmers police station and an NCO in the Armed Offenders Squad (AOS).[9] He came armed with a Smith & Wesson Model 10 police revolver (in 1990 front-line Police did not routinely carry firearms). Guthrie enlisted the help of Constable Russell Anderson, who had arrived a short time earlier with the fire service. He armed Anderson with a rifle belonging to a resident. With darkness approaching, the pair moved through the township to Gray's house, where Guthrie deployed the constable to cover the front while he moved to cover the more dangerous rear of the house. Detective Paul Alan Knox and two constables arrived, starting the first step of the "cordon, contain, appeal" standard police strategy for armed offenders. Guthrie observed Gray and relayed his movements inside the house to the police communications centre. After some time he lost sight of the gunman, and advised the detective to warn everyone to be alert. Anderson spotted Gray coming out the front of his property and issued a challenge, at which the gunman retreated quickly, passing through the rear of his property. Taking cover in the sand dunes of a neighbouring crib, Guthrie encountered Gray coming out of the darkness. Yelling at the gunman to surrender, he fired a warning shot. Gray shouted, "Don't shoot!", leading Guthrie to believe he was surrendering. However, Gray suddenly fired several times, one shot striking Guthrie in the head, killing him instantly. Minutes later the Dunedin branch of the AOS began to arrive and sealed off the township with a roadblock about 250 metres along the only road out of Aramoana, securing it with an armoured car.[5] AOS units from Christchurch, Timaru, and Invercargill were called in for support. The situation was considered dangerous as Gray had a scoped rifle, making him potentially accurate at long range. By now the police had ordered that Gray was to be shot on sight – without a warning shot. Source:

Stewart Graeme Guthrie, GC (22 November 1948 – 13 November 1990) of New Zealand, is the most recent Commonwealth civilian recipient of the George Cross, the highest award for conspicuous gallantry not in the face of an enemy awarded in certain Commonwealth countries. He received the award for his role in the police response to the Aramoana massacre, at which he lost his life. Source:

view all

Sgt. Stewart Graeme Guthrie's Timeline

November 22, 1948
Dunedin, Otago, South Island, New Zealand
November 13, 1990
Age 41
Aramoana, Otago, South Island, New Zealand
November 13, 1990
Age 41
Port Chalmers Cemetery, [Block AB, #37], Port Chalmers, Otago, South Island, New Zealand