Is your surname Wright?

Research the Wright family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Ursula Wright (Rudston)

Birthdate:
Birthplace: Hayton, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Death: July 1579 (39-48)
Plowland Manor, Welwick, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Immediate Family:

Daughter of Nicholas Rudston and Jane Rudston
Wife of Private and Robert Wright, Esq.
Mother of Ursula Ward; Private; Christopher Wright; Martha "Mary" Percy; John Wright, Jr. and 4 others

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:
view all 16

Immediate Family

About Ursula Wright

Robert Wright, esq., married Ursula Rudston after his first wife died around 1555. We don't have an exact date for that, but I suspect that Ursula would have been of childbearing age at the time of that marriage, so I've proposed a birth date for her of about 1535.


Said to be kin to the Mallory family.

Hayton Parish, Yorkshire:

This parish includes the townships of Hayton and Bielby, containing, according to the Ordnance Survey, 3,636 acres. The estimated extent of Hayton township is 1822 acres, the rateable value £2,609, and the population in 1891 was 199. The soil is light, and the subsoil gravel and marl; wheat, barley, oats, and turnips are the chief crops. Trevor Wheler Calverley-Eudston, Esq., J.P., D.L., C.C., of Allerthorpe Hall, who is lord of the manor; Lord Herries, Everingham Park; Henry Preston, Esq., Edward Eeed Templeman, Hayton; Mrs. Lamb, Eugby; and Mrs. Jackson, Pocklington, are the principal landowners. The manor belonged from an early period to the ancient and honourable family of Eudston. Sir John Eudston, Knight, was lord of the manor in the reign of King John. A baronetcy was subsequenty conferred upon the family, but the title expired with the third baronet, who was succeeded in the estate by Elizabeth Eudston, his sister and heiress. She married Henry Cutler, Esq., and survived her husband, but having no issue she devised the family property to her cousin, Eudston Calverley, Esq. This gentleman, on inheriting the estate, assumed the surname and arms of Eudston. His eldest son and successor, the Eev. Thos, Cutler-Eudston, assumed the name of Bead in compliance with the will of Williant Eead, Esq., of Sand Hutton. He married Louisa, third daughter of Henry Cholmley, Esq., of Whitby Abbey, and had a numerous family. The present owner is his grandson.

The village is pleasantly situated on the York and Beverley road, two-and-a-half miles south of Pocklington, and four miles north-west of Market Weighton. The church, which is dedicated to St. Martin, is an ancient edifice, of stone, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave with north aisle, south porch, and a western embattled tower with pinnacles. The aisle is divided from the nave by a Norman arcade of three bays springing from massive cylindrical pillars, the capitals of which are adorned with sculptured foliage and monsters. The church was carefully and tastefully restored in I860, when the porch was rebuilt, and the east window, of three lights, filled with stained glass in memory of Sir Thos. Eudston, second Bart., who died in 1707, and Catherine, his wife, daughter of George Montayne, Esq., of Wistow, and Elizabeth, their daughter and heiress, before mentioned. All the other windows are also filled with stained glass, and were restored in 1860 by W. H. Eudston-Eead, Esq., who also defrayed the expense of re-building the porch. The inner doorway is a piece of fine Norman work. The ancient font was discovered and replaced in the church after the late restoration. It is octagonal in shape, and has the appearance of considerable antiquity. There are no monuments in the church of any importance. There are 200 sittings. The registers date from 1610.

The living was appropriated to the deanery of York in 1252, and a vicarage ordained with the perpetual curacy of Bielby annexed, now in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, and held by the Eev. Joseph Bellot Litler, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. It is worth £260 per annum, derived from tithe and 170 acres of land, 20 acres of which are in Beeford parish. The great tithes are commuted for a rent-charge of £326, and belong to the Dean of York.

There is a small Primitive Methodist chapel in the village, rebuilt in 1850, The school was built by the late W. H. Eudston-Eead, Esq., in 1854, for the children of Hayton and Burnby. There is accommodation for 50, and there are 46 names On the books. The poor of Hayton have 16 acres of land in Bielby, and a few small rent-charges now in the hands of trustees, producing altogether about £28 a year.

Sources:

Steve Wright

https://stevewright.nz/john_wright_plowland.php

https://pocklingtonhistory.com/district/hayton/index.php

view all 13

Ursula Wright's Timeline

1535
1535
Hayton, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
1560
1560
Welwick, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
1565
1565
Welwick, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
1568
January 16, 1568
Welwick, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
1570
1570
Welwick, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
1570
Welwick, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
1579
July 1579
Age 44
Welwick, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
1601
September 15, 1601
West Peckham, Kent, England