The city of Baranovichi, in modern-day Belarus Belarusian: Бара́навічы [baˈranavʲitʂɨ], Łacinka: Baranavičy, Baranavichy; Russian: Бара́новичи, Polish: Baranowicze, Yiddish: באראנאוויטש, Baranovich, began as a Polish village, growing to a town with a 50% Jewish population in 1897, and serving as a seat of Jewish learning and culture. It became part of the Soviet Union and served as refuge to Jews fleeing German-occupied Poland. In 1941 the Wehrmacht seized the city and created a ghetto on its outskirts. After several “selections,” all the occupants of the ghetto were sent to various German concentration camps.
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baranovichi http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/baranovichi1/bar110.html http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0003_0_02002.html http://books.google.com/books?id=NH0K92ZcNN0C&pg=PA224&lpg=PA224&dq=baranovichi+ghetto&source=bl&ots=YRF9szT1df&sig=NLlE4GVa4PFBjutyQZEMZMDHgm8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=bmHsUKmHKOqdiALY5YCYAw&ved=0CGMQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=baranovichi%20ghetto&f=false