Erratum Biographical index of South Australians 1836-1885
The Biological Index of South Australians is a valuable resource for all local or family historians. The works were first published in 1990, and now include two extra volumes.
Having just purchased this, I have discovered why my family history was at a stand still, and, this project is primarily to register the errors that may have occurred due to mistakes, and mis-information.
In addition, if you have any extra information, ie: missing spouse etc. this would be a goog place to add the information.
The work is very extensive, and, errors and omissions are always possible, with corrections may come debate, which would be best in the discussions attached to this project.
We will add this project to "The History Link" project, so, if your family arrived in South Australia in that time span, they will be noted.
If you have corrections and additions to this collection, please:
- Join the project
- Add the original information
- Add the emended version
- Add the link to the profile
- Add the profile to the project
You will see how this is formatted by the entries already here, if this is too difficult, then please message the collaborators of the project with the above information, and they will add it for you.
This will help many who may see the different versions of the facts, and, wonder which is correct.
- arr: 1838 LORD GODERICH
- occ: Accountant, Pstoralist
- res: Rosebank, Adelaide, Kensington
- m: unknown
- ch: Agnes Charlotte BEARE (1833-1892), Christina GLEESON (-1900), Anna Maria KERB, 4 daus?
Geni Profile adds wife Agnes Sword and children, also shows ship list on this family.
There were 2 George Duthy's arrive in South Australia, one on the ship Corromandel, the other with wife Maria Hunt, and children. The Corromandel arrived 1 year 7 months earlier than the Duke of Roxburghe.
DUTHY George b: c1803 page 444
- arr: 1837 COROMANDEL
- occ: Farmer res: Adelaide, Mt Barker
- rel: C/E
- m: (1/2) unknown
- ch: Eliz Cath TRIMMER child (1839-1841)
- m: (2/2) 21.12.1850 Blakiston SA Jane nee ALSTON
- b: c1828
The George Duthy that arrived on the Coromandel was 18 years old (born 1820 or so) and was single, no children. At the moment he would be: George Henry Duthy, the nephew of George and Maria. Please see profile for all details of immigration
George and Maria are not included in this collection.
- DUTHY George arrived in SA 1837-01-12 aboard Coromandel (1) from London [Source:2,7(not this J DUTHY),27,PRG174/13]
- DUTHY George, Maria HUNT, Eliza Cath, Emily Hrt arrived in SA 1838-07-28 aboard Duke of Roxburghe from London 04-12 [Source:2,4,5b,6(DUTHIE),7(not Coromandel),10,20,23(5),27,45] NB: His family is definitely DuthY.
Did he send his nephew ahead to make arrangements for their arrival?
Maria died, and a year or so after that death, and death of another child Alice Duthy, also assigned to the "Corromandel George" at times, George married Jamesina Sword Alston
Still looking in to the connections in Unley, South Australia with "Duthy Street".
DALGELL NA. page 365
- occ: Gentleman
- m: 19.12.1854 SA Emily nee DUTHY b: c1835
This is the same record as on page 368
- DALZELL Nicholas Alexr
- arr: 1839 FAIRFIELD
- dep: ENG by 1875
- m: 9.12.1854 St Marys SA Emily Harriett nee
- DUTHY par: Geo
The name should read DALZELL Emily is George Duthy and Maria Hunts daughter, she married Nicholas Alexander Dalzell, a very well known botanist, Scottish in birth, and worked extensively in India.
EVANS Charles page 474
- par: Geo (foster father John EVANS) ??
- b: c1834 LND ENG d: after 1919
- arr: 1840 WILLIAM NICHOL
- res: Nth Rhine, Purnong
- rel: RC
- m: 12.1.1859 Nth Rhine SA Bridget nee de SIZE
- par: Patk SIZE and Bridget nee CARROLL b: c1844 SA
- ch: Gee (1860-), Bridget (1862-), Patk (1863-), Eliz (1865-), Mary (1867-), Arthur(1870-), Chas (1871-), Honora Ellen (1875-), Robt Graham (1878-) twin, Blanche (1878-) twin
SIZE Patrick, Bridget CARROLL, John, Pat Wm, Ptr J [Sources:2,7,8,29] actually arrived on the William Nichol.
- William Nichol (409 ot ship 1834) arrived in SA 1840-07-07 from Greenock via Dublin 04-02, Captain Wm Elder
EVANS George, Elizabeth (wife), Eliz Leah, Emily, Geo Horwood, Rbt Graham, Wm Kinsman, Chas, Art arrived in SA 1837-10-17 aboard Katherine Stewart Forbes from London [Source:2,5b,8,20,23(9),29,41,45]
- Katherine Stewart Forbes (457 ot ship 1818) arrived in SA 1837-10-17 from London, Captain Alfred Fell