Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

City of Bristol, Virginia, USA

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

Top Surnames

Ford, Hall and Hurt
view all


  • Elijah Hall (1742 - 1830)
    Continental Navy Officer He served as a Lieutenant in the US Navy during the Revolutionary War on the USS Ranger under Capt. John Paul Jones. No gravestone, he is buried in a tomb beneath the chur...
  • George Washington Hurt (1867 - 1939)
  • Tennessee Ernie Ford (1919 - 1991)
    Ernest Jennings Ford February 13, 1919-October 17, 1991 Parents: Clarence Ford 1884- and Maud Long 1887- Wives: # Betty Heminger d. 1989# Beverly Wood 1921-2001 Children with Betty Heminger: # Jeffrey ...
  • Source:
    Johan "Mathias" Witmer (1757 - 1824)
    A Patriot of the American Revolution for PENNSYLVANIA with the rank of PRIVATE. DAR Ancestor # A125005 From Charles A. Fisher, "Snyder County (Pennsylvania) Pioneers", p. 99, and "Snyder County Annals"...

This project is a table of contents for all projects relating to this City of Virginia. Please feel free to add profiles of anyone who was born, lived or died in this city.

Official Website


Evan Shelby first appeared in what is now the Bristol area around 1765. In 1766, Shelby moved his family and settled at a place called Big Camp Meet (now Bristol, Tennessee/Virginia). It is said that Cherokee Indians once inhabited the area and the Indian village was named, according to legend, because numerous deer and buffalo met here to feast in the canebrakes. Shelby renamed the site Sapling Grove (which would later be changed to Bristol). In 1774, Shelby erected a fort on a hill overlooking what is now downtown Bristol. It was an important stopping-off place for notables such as Daniel Boone and George Rogers Clark, as well as hundreds of pioneers’ en route to the interior of the developing nation. This fort, known as Shelby's Station was actually a combination trading post, way station, and stockade.

By the mid-nineteenth century, when surveyors projected a junction of two railroad lines at the Virginia-Tennessee state line, Reverend James King conveyed much of his acreage to his son-in-law, Joseph R. Anderson. Anderson laid out the original town of Bristol, Tennessee/Virginia and building began in 1853.

Samuel Goodson, who owned land that adjoined the original town of Bristol TN/VA at its northern boundary (Beaver Creek was the dividing line), started a development known as Goodsonville. Anderson was unable to incorporate Bristol across the state lines of Tennessee and Virginia. In 1856, Goodsonville and the original Bristol, Virginia were merged to form the composite town of Goodson, Virginia.

Incorporation for Bristol, Tennessee and Goodson, Virginia occurred in 1856. The Virginia and Tennessee Railroads reached the cities in the late summer of 1856. Due to having two different railroads companies, two depots served the cities; one in Bristol, Tenn. and the other in Goodson, Virg. However, the depot located in Goodson continued to be referred to as Bristol, Virginia. In 1890, Goodson, Virginia once again took the name Bristol.



The Grove

Solar Hill

Walnut Grove

Bristol Station

Birthplace of Country Music Museum

Bristol Motor Speedway

Virginia & Tennessee Railroad