Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Grayson County, Virginia, USA

Project Tags

view all

Profiles

  • Peter Richard Beamer (1739 - 1835)
  • Mary Jane Hale (1813 - 1854)
    GEDCOM Source ===FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Family Tree @R1@ U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current GEDCOM Source ===FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Family Tree @R1@ Virginia, Deaths and Burials Inde...
  • Fielden Henderson Hale (1832 - 1864)
  • Elbert Montgomery Bourne (1831 - 1901)
    Updated from MyHeritage Family Trees via sister Julia Ann Bourne by SmartCopy : Jan 26 2015, 21:35:44 UTC
  • Charles J Hale (1811 - 1892)
    Reference: MyHeritage Family Trees - SmartCopy : Apr 1 2020, 19:07:53 UTC Son of William Hale & Lucy Stone One of seven children; 2 sisters & 4 brothers

Grayson County was founded in 1793 from part of Wythe County. It was named for William Grayson,[3] delegate to the Continental Congress from 1784 to 1787 and one of the first two U.S. Senators from Virginia. The first courthouse was built in Greensville, later called Oldtown, constructed in 1794 and rebuilt beginning in 1832. In 1842, the Virginia General Assembly authorized the division of Grayson County, the northeastern portion becoming Carroll County.

During the American Civil War, little fighting occurred within Grayson County. However, the "Grayson Dare Devils" (Company F, 4th Regiment of the Stonewall Brigade) were recruited from the Elk Creek Valley of Grayson County shortly after Virginia seceded and sustained significant losses as the First Battle of Manassas. The Grayson Cavalry was Company C of the 8th Virginia Cavalry, which served until the war's end. Company D of the 50th Virginia Infantry was recruited in the Mouth of Wilson Community and they were known as the "Wilson Rifles."

The county seat since shortly before the American Civil War has been Independence, Virginia, since the former county seat had been centrally located until Carroll County split off (and Oldtown now is a district within Grayson county). The Old Grayson County Courthouse and Clerk's Office renovated circa 1834 still exists but is now located near what since 1953 is the independent city of Galax, Virginia. Even by 1890 the nearest railroad to Grayson county was nine miles from the county line, a Norfolk and Western Railway stop called "Rural Retreat." Textile and then furniture factories arrived in Galax (which was planned as a town near the old village of Blair on a plateau beginning in 1903 and renamed after a plant harvested from the surrounding mountains). Also, the New River was dammed at Fries to power a cotton mill, which also led to more direct service by the Norfolk and Western to Troutdale (which later faltered). Whitetop City and Fairwood also virtually disappeared during the Great Depression.

Cemeteries of Virginia

Official Web Site

This project is a table of contents for all projects relating to this County of Virginia. Please feel free to add profiles of anyone who was born, lived or died in this county.