Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Project Tags

view all


  • Gerhard Albert Gustav Kauffmann (1923 - 1945)
    Eintrag im »Gedenkbuch« des Bundesarchivs: Kauffmann, Gerhard Albert Gustav geboren am 22. Dezember 1923 in Hamburg/Hansestadt Hamburg wohnhaft in Hamburg Emigration Niederlande Deporta...
  • Rosa Gertrud Schönfeld (1864 - 1943)
    Eintrag im »Gedenkbuch« des Bundesarchivs: Schönfeld, Rosa Gertrud geb. Sommerfeld geboren am 15. Mai 1864 in Berlin (Charlottenburg)/Stadt Berlin wohnhaft in Berlin und in Hamburg Inte...
  • Jakob Schönfeld (1855 - 1943)
    Eintrag im »Gedenkbuch« des Bundesarchivs: Schönfeld, Jacob Jakob geboren am 24. Juni 1855 in Landeck i. Westpreußen/Schlochau/Westpreußen wohnhaft in Berlin Internierung/Inhaftierung 10....
  • Lieselotte Doris Herz (1915 - 1943)
    Eintrag im »Gedenkbuch« des Bundesarchivs: Herz, Lieselotte Doris geb. Neustadt geboren am 01. März 1915 in Berlin/Stadt Berlin wohnhaft in Berlin EMIGRATION Niederlande DEPORTATION ...
  • Günter Herz (1917 - 1944)
    Eintrag im »Gedenkbuch« des Bundesarchivs: Herz, Günter Guenter Gunter geboren am 28. Februar 1917 in Altona/Holstein wohnhaft in Berlin EMIGRATION Niederlande DEPORTATION ab Niederlan...

From Herzogenbusch Concentration Camp

Herzogenbusch concentration camp (Dutch: Kamp Vught; German: Konzentrationslager Herzogenbusch) was a Nazi concentration camp located in Vught near the city of 's-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands. Herzogenbusch was, with Natzweiler-Struthof in occupied France, the only concentration camp run directly by the SS in western Europe outside of Germany. The camp was first used in 1943 and held 31,000 prisoners. 749 prisoners died in the camp, and the others were transferred to other camps shortly before the camp was liberated by the Allied Forces in 1944. After the war the camp was used as a prison for Germans and Dutch collaborators. Today there is a visitors' center with exhibitions and a national monument remembering the camp and its victims. The camp is now a museum.

History During World War II, Nazi Germany occupied Netherlands (1940–1945). The Nazis transported Jewish and other prisoners from the Netherlands via the transit camps Amersfoort and Westerbork to concentration camps such as Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen. When Amersfoort and Westerbork appeared to be too small to handle the large amount of prisoners, the Schutzstaffel (SS) decided to build a concentration camp in Vught near the city of 's-Hertogenbosch.

The building of the camp at Herzogenbusch, the German name for 's-Hertogenbosch, started in 1942. The camp was modelled on concentration camps in Germany. The first prisoners, who arrived in 1943, had to finish the construction of the camp; it was used from January 1943 until September 1944. During this period, it held nearly 31,000 prisoners: Jews, political prisoners, resistance fighters, Gypsies, Jehovah’s Witnesses, homosexuals, homeless people, black market traders, criminals, and hostages. Due to hunger, sickness, and abuse, at least 749 men, women and children died there. Of these, 329 were murdered at the execution site just outside the camp. When allied forces were approaching Herzogenbusch, the camp was evacuated and the prisoners were transferred to concentration camps further east, with women inmates being transferred to Ravensbrück Concentration Camp, and the men to Sachsenhausen concentration camp by 4 -5 September 1944. On 26 October 1944, the 4th Canadian (Armoured) Division, the 96th Battery of the 5th Anti-tank Regiment, Royal Canadian Army liberated the camp after fighting a rear guard of SS guards left to defend the nearly evacuated camp. There were around 500-600 live prisoners left who had been set up for execution that afternoon, whose lives were spared by the arrival of the liberating Canadian forces. About 500 inmates were discovered dead in piles near the gates, who had been executed the morning that the camp was liberated.

In the first years after the war, the camp was used for the detention of Germans, Dutch SS men, alleged collaborators and their children, and war criminals. At first, they were guarded by allied soldiers, but shortly after by the Dutch...


Karl Chmielewski The first commander of Herzogenbusch was 39-year-old Karl Chmielewski. During the first few months, the camp was poorly run: prisoners didn't receive meals, the sick were barely treated, and the quality of drinking water was very low.[citation needed] Subsequently, many died during Chmielewski’s administration.[citation needed] He was sacked in 1943 for stealing from the camp on a large scale. In 1961 he was sentenced to life imprisonment for his role in the concentration camps.

Adam Grünewald The second commander was 40-year-old Adam Grünewald. Immediately after assuming command over the camp, he set very strict rules.[citation needed] In January 1944 he ordered that a group of female prisoners was to be put into one cell. This resulted in what has become known as the Bunker Tragedy: twelve of the women packed into the cell died during the night. His superiors, unhappy that this tragedy was leaked to the press, brought him before an SS judge and he was sent to the Russian front as a common soldier. He was killed in battle in 1945.

Hans Hüttig The last commander of Herzogenbusch was 50-year-old Hans Hüttig. He fought during the First World War and was already a member of the Nazi party in 1933. The SS leadership was satisfied with his performance.[citation needed] Under his leadership, at least 329 men were executed.

Current state The execution site near the camp is now a national monument, with a wall bearing the names of all those who died there. The wall has suffered numerous acts of vandalism: Black smears were drawn on the wall, using tar, which has seeped into the stone and is impossible to remove. The camp was partially demolished after the war. The grounds now house an educational museum about the camp (known in Dutch as Nationaal Monument Kamp Vught),a Dutch military base called Van Brederodekazerne, a neighbourhood of Maluku refugees, and a high security prison called Nieuw Vosseveld. Still, parts of the old camp remain.[13] Central to the prison, the Bunker Tragedy bunker still stands. Large parts of the southern camp buildings are now used by the Dutch military, including the former SS Barracks that is shaped like a German cross.


מחנה פיכט (בגרמנית: הרצוגנבוש) על שם העיר הסמוכה הרטוחנבוס) היה אחד מחמשת מחנות הריכוז שפעלו בשטח הולנד במלחמת העולם השנייה.

בבניית המחנה הוחל בשנת 1942, והוא נבנה במתכונת דומה למחנות הריכוז הגרמניים. כשהגיעו האסירים הראשונים ממחנה אמרספורט עדיין לא היה המחנה מוכן, והם אולצו לבנות אותו בעצמם. המחנה נפתח ב-5 בינואר 1943 בפיקודו של אס-אס-אונטרשטורמפיהרר קרל כְּמילבסקי.

בסך הכול נכלאו במחנה כ-31,000 אסירים, בהם 15,000 יהודים והשאר אסירים פוליטיים, צוענים, לוחמי מחתרת, עדי יהוה, הומוסקסואלים, נוודים, פושעים וסוחרים בשוק השחור. ידוע על 749 בני אדם לפחות שמתו במחנה, ו-329 מביניהם הוצאו להורג. כ-12,000 אסירים יהודים עברו במחנה בדרכם למחנות השמדה בפולין. רוב האסירים היו הולנדים, ביניהם גם חסיד אומות העולם ופעיל המחתרת ההולנדית יאן סחפ, ומקצתם בלגים.

במחנה היו סדנאות של חברת פיליפס והאסירים עבדו בהן עבודת כפייה. על כל פנים, הנהלת החברה השתדלה להקל על תנאי העבודה במקום, והצליחה לשכנע את המפקדים הנאצים לאפשר לאסירים הפסקות תכופות יותר. היא גם סיפקה לאסירים מזון נוסף, בגדים ואפילו מוזיקה שנוגנה במחנה, ואנשי החברה הגנו על העובדים (שנקראו "פיליפס-קומנדו") מפני התנכלויותיהם של הקאפואים. ב-5 ביוני 1943 נודע שעל כל הילדים היהודים במחנה לעזוב את המחנה, לכאורה למגורים במחנה ילדים מיוחד בקרבת מקום. לאמיתו של דבר נשלחו הילדים למחנה הריכוז וסטרבורק ומשם לסוביבור, שם נרצחו כולם.

לאחר שכמה נשים במחנה מחו על התנאים הקשים, ציווה אס-אס-האופטשטורמפיהרר אדם גרינֶוואלד, שהיה מפקד המחנה מאז אוקטובר 1943, לכלוא 74 נשים בתא מספר 115 למשך ארבע-עשרה שעות. שטח התא היה תשעה מטרים רבועים, ולא היו בו פתחים לאוורור. עשר נשים נהרגו כך. כשהגיעה הידיעה על כך לעיתונות ההולנדית, נשפט גרינוואלד על ידי האס-אס ונידון ל-15 שנות מאסר, אך עונשו הומתק: הוא הורד בדרגה והוצב בחזית המזרחית, שם הוא נהרג בקרב. לצידו של כמילבסקי (שהורשע על ידי הנאצים בהתעללות באסירים ובגניבת יהלומים, וסופו שנכלא על ידי הנאצים במחנה דכאו) הוא אחד הבודדים - מאות ספורות בלבד מכל סגל המחנות - שעמדו לדין בגרמניה הנאצית על חריגה מפקודות שהביאה למות אסירים.[1] החל מפברואר 1944 החליף אותו בתפקיד אס-אס-אונטרשטורמפיהרר האנס היטיג, עד לפינוי המחנה בספטמבר אותה השנה. במהלך תקופה זו הורה היטיג על הוצאתם להורג של 329 אסירים.

ב-5 וב-6 בספטמבר 1944 פינו הגרמנים את המחנה לנוכח התקדמות בעלות הברית, והאסירים נשלחו לזכסנהאוזן. הדיוויזיה הקנדית המשוריינת הרביעית שחררה את המחנה.