Historic Buildings of Co. Tyrone, Northern Ireland
Image right - Killymoon Castle
HELP is always welcome - Please get involved!!
If you have information about any of the Buildings mentioned below please share it here. If you have ancestors linked to any of the places please add them to the project.
The object of this project is to provide information about historic buildings in County Galway, with links to sub-projects for specific buildings as appropriate. GENi profiles of people associated with those establishments can be linked to this project and/or to individual projects where they have been set up.
Castles, Baronial and Historic houses
... in alphabetical order
Including Castles, Abbeys, Manor Houses, Mansions, Stately Homes, Country houses, Estate houses, Courts, Halls, Parks and other listed buildings of historic interest
Full sizes of the thumbnail images can be seen in the Gallery attached to the project or by clicking the thumbnail image TIP - Use ctrl+the link to open the image in a separate tab, or use "back" to return to this project page) Sources for the images can be found in the image details as seen in the gallery.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles or projects. Other links take you to external biographical web pages.
Historic houses in alphabetical order
Including Manor Houses, Mansions, Stately Homes, Country houses, Estate houses, Courts, Halls, Parks and other listed buildings of historic interest
- Augher Castle (aka Spur Royal)
- Benburb Castle or Wingfield's Castle, Restored Castle
- Benbush Castle
- Castle Caulfield - a large ruined house situated in Castlecaulfield built by Sir Toby Caulfeild between 1611 and 1619 on the site of an earlier O'Donnelly castle. It was burned in the Irish Rebellion of 1641 but was repaired and reoccupied by the Caulfeilds until the 1660s. Oliver Plunkett is known to have held a service at the castle in 1670, but the castle was in ruins when John Wesley preached there in 1767. Castle Caulfield, today a ruin, is a State Care Historic Monument in the townland of Lisnamonaghan
- Castlederg Castle stone house or bawn built by Sir John Davies on a site previously occupied by an O'Neill Tower House, on the River Derg. The Bawn would have been a refuge for planter families during the 1641 rebellion and was eventually rendered unfit for occupation after an attack by Sir Phelim O'Neill.
- Derrywoone Castle
- Favour Royal (previously known as Portclare) also known as Augher Castle, is a manor and estate in County Tyrone, today part of Northern Ireland. It is located in the townland of Favor Royal Demesne close to the Irish border. It is within the parish of Errigal-Trough which is part of the historic barony of Clogher. Portclare was granted, in 1613/15, by James I to Sir Thomas Ridgeway, a prominent figure in the plantation of Ulster, on the site of an older fortress and was burnt in 1689 by the Jacobites as the Siege of Derry was under way. In 1622 Ridgeway sold Portclare to Sir James Erskine, younger son of Alexander Erskine of Gogar. In 1665 the manor of Portclare was confirmed to the Erskines by Charles II, under the name Favour Royal. The estate was subsequently divided between Sir James Erskine's two granddaughters. Favour Royal comprises one part, while the other, lying to the west of Augher, is known as Spur Royal or Augher Castle. John Moutray married the Erskine heiress Anne of Favour Royal, and the original house was built by them in 1670. In 1816 the Moutrays briefly employed a local boy, John Joseph Hughes, as an apprentice gardener - Hughes would go on to become the Catholic Archbishop of New York in 1842. The old house was destroyed in 1823 by an accidental fire, and was replaced with a larger structure by Captain John Corry Moutray of Castle Coole, Co. Fermanagh. Captain Moutray commissioned the architect John Hargrave to design the new building, which was completed in 1825 in a Tudor revival style. It was restored and extended in 1832 and a large and handsome mansion built adjoining it by Sir J. M. Richardson Bunbury, Bart. Favour Royal continued to be the family home of the Moutrays until 1976, when the house, demesne and contents were sold. It was occupied until the 1990s but is now derelict.
- Harry Avery's Castle situated half a mile south-west of Newtownstewart, possibly built by Henry Aimbreidh O'Neil (Harry Avery O'Neill) a Gaelic chief celebrated by the Four Masters for his justice, nobility and hospitality (died 1392), and certainly named after him. The castle was captured by the English in 1609. The Castle is a State Care Historic Monument in the townland of Upper or New Deer Park, in Strabane District Council area. Excavations in 1950 and 1962 confirmed that the keep-like structure functioned more as a tower house than as a true gatehouse, though the only access into the enclosure behind seems to have been up a narrow mural stair and through the hall at first-floor level. The entrance has a draw-bar slot, while other features include vaults with traces of wickercentering and latrine shafts in one of the towers.
- Killymoon Castle situated about one mile (1.6 km) south east of Cookstown. The original Killymoon Castle, which was built in 1671 by James Stewart, burnt down in 1801. Stewart’s ancestors had come from Scotland during the plantation to settle in Cookstown, and in 1666 James bought the land lease for the castle site from Alan Cooke - founder of Cookstown. It was rebuilt in a larger version in 1803 by Colonel William Stewart. The second Killymoon Castle was built on a much grander scale than the original, illustrating the position of Colonel Stewart among the Irish aristocracy. By its completion in 1803, the castle is reputed to have cost £80 000. The Killymoon estate remained the property of the Stewart family for six generations. But soon their extravagant lifestyle, typical of many of the Irish aristocracy, caused the Stewart family to fall on hard times especially during the years of the Great Famine. Hence, Colonel William’s great-grandson Henry T. Clements sold the Killymoon estate in 1852 for £100 000, less a tanner. In 1857 the castle had again been sold to the Cooper family, and in 1865 Colonel Bolton, an English gentleman purchased the castle. Yet a mere 10 years later Mervyn Stuart Thomas Moutray. became the owner of Killymoon Castle until 1916, when Gerald Macura bought the castle and town of Cookstown for almost £100 000. By 1918 Macura was also in financial difficulties and was compelled to sell off his assets. Hence, in 1922 John Coulter bought the castle and grounds for the princely sum of £100. Today the castle, which has been kept in impeccable condition, remains the home of the Coulter family. In addition, situated on what was previously some of the castle’s estate lands is an 18 hole golf course.
- Kirlish Castle (aka Curlews, Castle), Drumquin - built by Sir John Davis, Attorney-General, about 1610, in fulfillment of conditions of a grant of 2,000 acres.Castle Kirlish was joined to Castlederg Castle by a straight causeway, which was seven miles (11 km) long. Traces of this causeway could still be observed in 1837.
- Newtownstewart Castle (or Stewart). 3 storey plantation house with crow stepped gables. Built in 1619 by Sir Robert Newcomen - described in the 1622 survey as "a Castle of lyme & stone of good strength, 4 stories high... about it is a Bawne of lyme & stone, 81ft long, 66ft broad & 9ft high, with 2 Flankers..." It was burned during the 1641 insurrection, and then rebuilt. In 1689 it was occupied for a night by James II who on his return from the siege of Derry then ordered its destruction. Excavations on the site in 1999 recovered 4 large burnt posts from the doorway in the E. curtain wall, which have been carbon-dated to 1616/1617. Also the site of a significant Bronze Age discovery: an intact double cyst grave and capstone. It contained two decorated vessels lying adjacent to cremated remains approximately 4,000 years old
- Stewart Castle
References and Sources
Co. Tyrone Specific
- Historic Houses Association - represents 1,500 houses in the UK
- Hudson's Historic Houses and Gardens - UK - guidebook of over 2,000 houses open to the public
- The DiCamillo Companion to British & Irish Country Houses - database of over 7,000 houses
- Lost Heritage - A Memorial to the Lost Country Houses of England - list of over 1,700 houses
- National Trust for Historic Preservation - online database of historic houses in the United State
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_Houses_Association - http://www.hha.org.uk/
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to add a link is explained in the document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
this project is in HistoryLink