Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Jewish Families connected to or from Inowraclaw Inowroclaw, Prussia, Poland

Project Tags

view all

Profiles

  • Deborah Bach (1780 - d.)
    Reference: Ancestry Genealogy - SmartCopy : Dec 31 2023, 12:12:29 UTC
  • Emanuel Menachem Bach (1780 - d.)
    Reference: Ancestry Genealogy - SmartCopy : Dec 31 2023, 12:12:29 UTC
  • Rabbi Moses Aron Bach (1809 - 1879)
    Reference: MyHeritage Family Trees - SmartCopy : Feb 8 2023, 18:34:05 UTC * Reference: Ancestry Genealogy - SmartCopy : Dec 31 2023, 11:45:17 UTC
  • Golde Sandler (1814 - 1890)
  • Paula Grünspan (1882 - 1935)

This project seeks to identify and collect Jewish individuals connected to or from the Town of Inowraclaw Inowroclaw in the Polish Bromberg Administrative District. Formerly in the Grand Duchy of Posen, near the smaller towns of Strzelno, Kruschwitz and Gniewkowo. Best introduction to the Jewish presence in this Town is here: https://sztetl.org.pl/pl/miejscowosci/i/290-inowroclaw

Inowrocław (Polish pronunciation: [in%C9%94%CB%88vr%C9%94tswaf]; German: Hohensalza; before 1904: Inowrazlaw; archaic: Jungleslau) is a city in north-central Poland with a total population of 72,561 in December 2019 (72,786, June 30, 2019). It is situated in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999, previously in the Bydgoszcz Voivodeship (1975–1998). It is one of the largest and historically most significant cities within Kuyavia. Inowrocław is an industrial town located about 40 kilometres (25 miles) southeast of Bydgoszcz known for its saltwater baths and salt mines. The town is the 5th largest agglomeration in its voivodeship, and is a major railway junction, where the west-east line (Poznań–Toruń) crosses the Polish Coal Trunk-Line from Chorzów to Gdynia.

From JewshGen: Inowrocław, Poland Inowrocław [Pol], Inowrazlaw [Ger, until 1904], Hohensalza [Ger, after 1904], Inowracław, Inovroclava, Inovrotslav 60 miles ENE of Poznań (Posen), 27 miles SSE of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg). Jewish Population in 1900: 1,157 1900: Inowrazlaw, Posen, Preußen, Germany 1930: Inowrocław, Inowrocław powiat, Poznań województwo, Poland

From Yad Vashem: Town of Inowroclaw search returns 1115 names of individuals living in Inowroclaw, born there and moved somewhere else, many in Berlin.

From Edward David Luft, The Naturalized Jews of the Grand Duchy of Posen in 1834/5 Revised Edition, 2004, published by and available from Avotaynu. List of inhabitants who received naturalization papers is 85. To qualify for this higher level of citizenship Jews had to keep their business records in German, read and write in German, and have sufficient funds to pay the fees. Generally the recipients were males, born about 1795. Total number of approved individuals in the entire Grand Duchy was was ~5000.

From the International Jewish Cemetery Project, ISAGS, Accessed November 13, 2020: INOWROCLAW: Kujawsko-Pomorskie

Alternate names: Inowrocław [Pol], Inowrazlaw [Ger, until 1904], Hohensalza [Ger, after 1904], Inowracław, Inovroclava, Inovrotslav. 52°48' N, 18°16' E, 60 miles ENE of Poznań (Posen), 27 miles SSE of Bydgoszcz (Bromberg). 1900 Jewish population: 1,157. 2004 total population: 77,641. Situated in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999, Inowrocław was previously in the Bydgoszcz Voivodeship (1975-1998). An industrial town located about 40 km SE of Bydgoszcz known for its saltwater baths and salt mines, the town is the 5th largest in its voivodeship. Jews were first documented in Inowroclaw in the 1400's. The Jewish population peaked in 1837 (about 1,900 Jews out of a total population of about 4,750) then dropped to about 250 in 1921 when most Jews immigrated to Germany or the U.S. after the creation of an independent Poland. About 170 Jews remained when the Nazis invaded in September 1939. These Jews were expelled by the end of 1939. The Inowroclaw synagogue was built in 1908 with funds provided primarily by Dr. Leopold Levy. [May 2009]

Sam Gruber article: "Retrieving Stolen Matzevot: Plan Announced to Retrieve Scattered Gravestone Fragments from Inowroclaw (Poland) Jewish Cemetery", April 15, 2009. "he Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland announced that on April 7, 2009:...a meeting took place in Inowroclaw (kujawsko-pomorskie province) between the representatives of the Foundation... local authorities and the regional Monument Conservator. The parties discussed the matter of the matzevot used in the past to reinforce the pavements in Inowroclaw. A commission was created to inventarize the locations of the tombstones, then to remove and secure them. In near future they will be transported back to the 'new' Jewish cemetery in the town (located between the communal and Catholic cemeteries). They probably will become part of the lapidarium." Matzevot Found During Works: "On April 28, 2009, a significant number of matzevot fragments was discovered during the demolition works nearby the High School No.3 in Inowroclaw (kujawsko-pomorskie province). The fragments apparently came from the Jewish cemetery and were used by the Germans to reinforce bunker structures during the war. The pieces were secured and will be kept in local museum until the decision of the Rabbinic Comission." [May 2009]

US Commission No. POCE0000595

Alternate name: Inowrazlaw, Hohensalza in German. The cemetery is located in Bydgoskie province at 18º15' 52º48', about 36 km from Bydgoszcz. The cemetery is on ul Studzienna. Present town population is 25,000-100,000 with no Jews.

Town: municipal council of Inowroclaw. Regional: manager Olga Romanowska -Grabowska, Panstwowa Sluzba Ochrony Zabytkow The earliest known Jewish community was the 18th century. 1939 Jewish population was 28. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery was established in the late 18th or early 19th century. The isolated urban hillside has no sign. Reached by turning off a public road, access is open to all with no fence, wall or gate. The past and present size of the cemetery is about 1.31 ha. No gravestones are visible. There are no known mass graves. The municipality owns property is used for recreation. Property adjacent is residential and recreational. The cemetery is rarely visited. It was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance or structures. Security and incompatible existing development are slight threats.

Magdalena Grabowska, Bydgoszcz ul Sanatoryjna 40, tel. 277335, completed this survey Oct. 30, 1992. The document used to complete this survey was the "card 1988 WKZ Bydgoszcz." The site was not visited.

Details Parent Category: EASTERN EUROPE

Numerous Rabbi were born in Inowraclaw or served there in the last 200 years. Search the Steinheim Institute database here:

      http://www.steinheim-institut.de:50580/cgi-bin/bhr