Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Jewish Families from or connected to Pleszew Pleschen, Poland

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all 79

Profiles

Pleszew [%CB%88pl%C9%9B%CA%82%C9%9Bf] is a town in Poland, in Greater Poland Voivodeship, about 90 km southeast of Poznań. It is the capital of Pleszew County (powiat pleszewski). Population is 17,892 (2004).

In the time of the Grand Duchy of Posen in 1834 and1835 this town was in Pleschen County along with the towns of Neustadt a/W, Jaroczin and Mischkow. Pleschen had 45 Individuals made citizens in this time, Neustadt had 15, Jaroczin had 13 and Mischkow had only 4 people made citizens. Source, Luft, the Naturalized Jews of the Grand Duchy of Posen, op cit.

A translated page regarding the cemetery at Pleszew is posted on the Discussion for this Project. Obtained from www.kurkuty. xip.pl .

The complete Pleszew Pleschen Birth Death Marriage LDS microfilms, about 10, have been reviewed, extracted, and posted online. Access by going to www.jewishgen.org as a Member. Some data is also available online at the Polish State Archives in archiv 53, Fond 3587.

Yad Vashem has records of about 400 individuals with a connection with Pleschen Pleszew who perished in the Holocaust. Most were deported from Berlin, and born in the Town.

JewishGen Database for Jewish Gen Family Finder (JGFF) has about 20 researchers inquiring about individuals from or associated with this town. Messages have been sent to them informing them about this Geni Town project, August 2017.

The Virtual Shtetl site for this Town has extensive data on the Jewish history. Here:

http://www.sztetl.org.pl/en/city/pleszew/

The International Jewish Cemetery Project has a page for the cemetery at Pleszew:

http://www.iajgsjewishcemeteryproject.org/poland/pleszew.html

Here:

"PLESZEW: Wielkopolskie

Coat of arms of Pleszew CountyAlternate names: Pleszew [Pol], Pleschen [Ger]. 51°54' N, 17°48' E, 16 miles NW of Kalisz, 50 miles SE of Poznań (Posen). Jewish population: 550 (in 1895). Pleszew powiat is a unit of territorial administration and local government in Greater Poland Voivodeship, west-central Poland since January 1, 1999 with its administrative seat and only town in Pleszew, 83 km (52 mi) SE of the regional capital Poznań with a 2006 total population of 61,951 and a town population of 17,787. Cemetery photos. photos. [June 2009]

Jewish settlement in Pleszewie probably was in the early of the 19th century although some claim they were here in the 16th century. The first Jews settled on the outskirts Pleszew in Maliniach. In 1815, about 100 Jews lived here with a Jewish kahal that included Jews from the surrounding villages including Brzezia, Gutowa, Gołuchów, Kotowiecka, Kuchar, Kucharek, Marszewa and Sobótki. The first half of the 19th century brought expansion of the Jewish community with the synagogue, mikvah, and cheder and social organizations, but the Jewish population declined due to economic issues that encouraged immigration from 1871-1,039 to 550 in 1895. [June 2009]

CEMETERY: The Jewish cemetery was established in February 1817 when the Jews requested permission to transfer land free of charge for use as a cemetery from the owner of the city. The first burial was Winter 1817. Eventually, a stone wall was added and a cemetery caretaker dwelling. The tahara was built near the synagogue. The chevra kadisha was founded in 1813 and assisted with burials as far away as Jarocin, 25 km away. Destroyed by the Nazis, the cemetery was damaged further afterward with theft of gravestones for building materials. Today, the land was used as a playground and garden. The City and Municipality is constructing a lapidarium for the cemetery with recovered gravestones in consultation with Polish Chief Rabbi Michael Schudrich, representatives of the Jewish Community in Wroclaw, and the Jewish Historical Institute. Photo. [June 2009]

US Commission No. POCE000479

(Pleschen in German) Pleszew is located in the Kaliskie region at 51º54 17º48, 82 km ESE of Poznan. The cemetery is located between St. Dubois and Podgozna Streets. Present town population is 18,000 with no Jews.

Town: Pleszew is Urzad Miasta I Gminy, Ratusz (Townhall), Rynek. Regional: PSOZ-WKZ, ul. Frauciszkauska 3/5, 62-800 Kalisz. The regional museum on Pozmauska Street may have information about the cemetery. Interested: Spotdzielnia Mieszkanioswa w Pleszewie, Dubois St. 1921 Jewish population was 116; in 1871-1,039 Jews; in 1905-330 Jews. The Jewish cemetery probably was established in the 19th century. The synagogue exists at 14 Sieukiewiora St, but is used as a warehouse. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker, no wall, gate, or fence. In the center of a residential area, access is open to all. The present size of the cemetery is 0.5 hectares. No gravestones are visible. Since 1986, it has been owned by a private cooperative and used as a park. The municipality owns the property adjacent to a residential area. Compared to 1939, the cemetery boundaries probably enclose the same area. It is never visited. The cemetery was probably vandalized during W.W.II. No maintenance. There is a serious vegetation threat (in the event of earth work, the still existing graves could be damaged.

Michal Witarski, Dembowswiego 12/53, 02-784 Warszawa, tel. 6418345 visited the cemetery on October 16, 1991 with Eleonora Bergman and completed survey on October 30, 1991. Persons at the town hall (Urzad Miejski) were interviewed.

Last Updated on Thursday, 25 June 2009 09:29"

Accessed February 12, 2018