This project seeks to collect Jewish families connected to the town of Teplice (Teplitz) in Bohemia, Czech Republic.
Teplice (Czech pronunciation: [ˈtɛplɪt͡sɛ]), Teplice-Šanov until 1948 (Czech pronunciation: [ˈtɛplɪt͡sɛ ˈʃanof]; German: Teplitz-Schönau, archaically Töplitz) is a town in the Czech Republic, the capital of the Teplice District in the Ústí nad Labem Region. It is the state's second largest spa town (after Karlovy Vary). Teplitz was the primary seat of the Clary-und-Aldringen Austro-Hungarian princes.
Teplice is located in northwestern Bohemia near the border with the German state of Saxony. It is situated in the plain of the Bílina river, which separates the Ore Mountains (Czech: Krušné Hory) in the northwest from the Bohemian Central Mountains (Czech: České středohoří) in the southeast. The adjacent town of Sobedruhy (Soborten) had a large and historic Jewish Community up until 1938. At one time the town's population was primarily Jewish and Orthodox. The oldest recorded burial in the Jewish cemetery in from 1669. Sobedruhy was annexed after WWII to the city of Teplice as a district and is now known as Teplice-Sobedruhy. See also the project for the town here on Geni.
See http://www.teplice.cz/en/town/history/the-jewish-synagogue/ for a history of the ill-fated "New Synagogue."
See http://www.jta.org/2004/12/08/life-religion/features/czech-community-celebrates-rebirth for the renewal of the Jewish Community of Teplice.
See http://www.kehila-teplice.cz/ - Official website for the Jewish Community of Teplice