For people who have tested and are assigned the maternal haplogroup K1c or who are believed to have had that maternal haplogroup based on descendants tested.
- 146C, 152C, 498.
Haplogroup K has an estimated age of about 12,000 years. In his popular book The Seven Daughters of Eve, Bryan Sykes named the originator of the K haplogroup Katrine. (Source: Wikipedia, Haplogroup U (mtDNA))
Haplogroup K makes up a sizeable fraction of European and West Asian mtDNA lineages. It is now known it is actually a subclade of haplogroup U8b'K, and is believed to have first arisen in northeastern Italy. Haplogroup UK shows some evidence of being highly protective against AIDS progression.
Subclades of K
- K (mtDNA)
Distribution and subclades of K1c
- K1c1: According to William Hurst the group "K1c1 is very old and may have originated close to the Caucasus."
- K1c1a: Found in Italy.
- K1c1b: Found in Northern Europe.
- K1c1c: Found in Finland and European Russia.
- K1c1d: Found in Germany.
- K1c1e: Found in the Carpathians and Russia.
- K1c1f: Found in Central Europe.
- K1c2: Found in western and northern Europe , Maghreb and Tajikistan.
- K1c2a: Found in Ireland.
- (to be added)
How to Participate
To participate in this project, join or follow the project, add your oldest known ancestor who belonged to this haplogroup. The profile must be set to public in order to add it.