Many of our ancestors have a military past. Veterans often received awards or decorations for their efforts or accomplishments.
You can easily add these awards to someone's profile. Just create a new event (you can find the dates in the service records) and add a picture of the medal, ribbon, .... (and even a comment). It will appear in the timeline of that person. Under media you'll find an overview of all the awards and decorations.
Some examples (click on 'timeline' and/or 'media'):
- Profile of Delalieux Leon (World War I)
- Profile of Van der Auwera Hendrik (World War I and World War II)
- Profile of Hamptaux Camille (World War I)
To make it easier, we give you some links.
- Hall of Valor
- Awards and decorations of the US military
- US Army symbols and insignia
- Awards and decorations of the National Guard
- Awards and decorations of the State Defense Force
- The Institute of Heraldry
- List of military decorations (more than 70 countries worldwide)
- Medals of the World (a very large collection of images)
- Military awards of World War II
- International decorations (not bestowed by a country, but by an international organization like NATO or UN)
- Belgian medals and decorations of World War I (in Dutch)
List of more than 200,000 soldiers of Napoleon who received the Medal of St Helena: search engine