This project covers all Mormon pioneers that arrived in Utah in 1866.
We Need Your Help
Please collaborate on a specific year's (1847-1868) project page. While viewing a Mormon pioneer's profile and under the "More Actions" link choose "Add to Project" and this will allow you to add that pioneer to any of the the Mormon Pioneer projects.
How to Help
Anyone can edit the various pioneer arrival spreadsheets to update which pioneers have links on geni. The projects goal is to include on geni every single Mormon pioneer. That's about 70,000 people. The only way we can do this is by tracking which of the 70,000 pioneers have profiles on geni and which ones are missing. This is a massive undertaking and we are asking you as a member of the geni community help by keeping these spreadsheets up to date by editing them. We need your help!
On each spreadsheet there is a column marked "G". Use the search term in column "G" of the spreadsheet to search for the pioneer on google. To do this copy the text in column "G" and paste it into a Google search window. Google will then search geni to see if it can find a match. If a likely match is located then visit the page on geni and confirm that it is actually a Mormon pioneer. Look for clues like did the person die in Utah, Idaho, Arizona or a nearby state. Often their "about" section on geni will contain information about travel in a specific Mormon pioneer company and the year of travel.
- If you find a Mormon pioneer profile on geni them add them to this geni project and then update the spreadsheet.
- Paste the geni web link that you located for the profile into column "H" of the spreadsheet. Here is an example of what a profile's web link looks like: https:// www.geni.com/people/Jeremiah-Bingham/6000000004394796393. The spreadsheet will automatically save any edits you make.
- If you are unable to locate the pioneer place a lower case "x" in column "H" of the spreadsheet. Additionally your invited to create new profiles for pioneers who are not yet on geni. Please do not create duplicates and if you find existing duplicates please merge them or contact a curator for help in merging them.
- The spreadsheet is automatically color-coded so that found links are green and missing links are red.
- The other spreadsheet is called "1847-1868 Mormon Pioneer Arrivals Totals." It contains a summary of all known Mormon Pioneers (there are 55,600 of them) and how many of them have profiles on geni. This summary page is auto updated and is not editable but will contain the totals from all of the individual year arrivals.