Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Murray County, Georgia

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

Top Surnames

view all

Profiles

  • Anna Rosina Gambold (1762 - 1821)
    Needs place of birth. *************In 1801 the Moravians, a Pietist German-speaking group from Central Europe, founded the Springplace Mission at a site in present-day northwestern Georgia. The Moravia...
  • Sgt. Columbus Cicern Henderson (CSA) (1838 - 1923)
    Columbus Henderson enlisted in August 1861 in Company H, 42nd Tennessee Regiment. He reenlisted in Company H, 55th Regiment, Alabama Infantry Volunteers. On July 20, 1864 he was captured by Union force...
  • Wallace Parks Davis (1841 - 1913)

Please add profiles of those who were born, lived or died in Murray County, Georgia.

Official Website

History

In December, 1832 the Georgia General Assembly designated the extreme northwestern corner of the state as Murray County. Formerly part of Cherokee County, the area was named for a distinguished Georgia statesman from Lincoln County, Mr. Thomas W. Murray, a former speaker of the Georgia House.

The area was in the heart of the Cherokee Nation at the time the boundary lines were drawn through the territory. Not until after the Cherokees were removed in 1838–39 did white settlers enter the county in large numbers. Spring Place had been established in 1801 as a Moravian mission to the Cherokee and had been a post office since 1810 – the second oldest in North Georgia. After the Cherokee removal, the Moravians relocated with the tribe in what is now Oklahoma to establish New Springplace near the town of Oaks, Oklahoma. Sometime during the late 19th century, James B. Brackett donated the land upon which the Brackett Indian School was built. The school did not always function as a segregated Indian school. At one point in its previously integrated history it was referred to as the Lone Cherry School.

At the outbreak of the American Civil War, Murray County had no industry and very little wealth. When Georgia seceded from the Union, hundreds of men and boys[citation needed] from Murray enlisted in the Confederate Army. The following units were from Murray County:

  • 3rd Battalion, Georgia Infantry, Company B, Spring Place Volunteers
  • 11th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company C, Murray Rifle Company
  • 22nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company D
  • 37th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company A
  • 39th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company A, Cohutta Rangers
  • 39th Regiment, Georgia Infantry, Company B
  • 19th State Troops – Capt. John Oats Company

In 1864, two skirmishes between Union and Confederate soldiers took place just to the west of Spring Place, one of which took place on June 25, 1864 with the 8th Michigan Cavalry US. The First Tennessee Cavalry CS also skirmished about 5 miles north of Spring Place on April 19, 1864. Another skirmish took place near Westfield late during the night of August 22, 1864. Captain Woody of the Murray County Home Guard was reported wounded.

On February 27, 1865 and April 20, 1865 there was a skirmish at Spring Place between Confederates and the 145th Indiana Infantry US. This was followed by a skirmish on Holly Creek on March 1, 1865. By 1865 Spring Place was known as an area occupied by Confederate Guerrillas. During March 20–22, 1865 Union soldiers made an attempt to suppress this activity.

In 1906, after two earlier attempts at building a railroad in Murray County had failed, the Louisville and Nashville line was built to run north to south through the entire length of the county. Murray grew, with new towns developing along the railroad. One of these new towns was named Chatsworth. With the new railroad line in place, timber could be shipped out of the mountains, and talc deposits, discovered in the 1870s, was able to be mined and the ore shipped throughout the country.

The old county seat of Spring Place was bypassed by the railroad. Some Murray Countians began an effort to move the county seat to the more central and accessible railroad town of Chatsworth. Much dissention was caused by this effort. A county-wide referendum was held on the matter in 1912, which resulted in Chatsworth being named as the seat of local government, where it remains to present day.

Into the twentieth century, Murray remained predominantly agricultural. Shortly after World War II the textile industry, prevalent in neighboring Whitfield County, began to move into Murray. Today, the carpet industry is the predominant employer in Murray County.

Adjacent Counties

Cities, Towns & Communities

  • Carters
  • Chatsworth (County Seat)
  • Cisco
  • Crandall
  • Eton
  • Ramhurst
  • Spring Place
  • Sumac
  • Tennga

Links

Wikipedia

Murray County Museum

Nat'l Reg. of Hist. Places

Chattahoochee National Forest (part)