OPUZEN, a small town on the left bank of the Neretva river, 12 km upstream from its mouth. Opuzen was mentioned in the Middle Ages under the name Posrednica. In the 14th century it was a market-town of the Dubrovnik Republic (burned down in 1472); at the end of the 15th century it was the location of a fortress called Koš; in 1685 the Venetians built another fortress (Fort Opus) on the same location. - The parish church was erected in the neo-classicist order. The vestibule of the municipal hall keeps several sculptures from the ancient Narona. South of Opuzen is the hamlet of Podgradina with the remains of the mediaeval fortification Brštanik, built in 1373 by the Bosnian king Tvrtko; it was destroyed in the 15th century by the Turks, and restored by the Venetians and Austrians (1878).