Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Peekskill Military Academy

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all


  • Gilbert Wolfe Gabriel (1889 - 1952)
    Note Gilbert Wolf Gabriel, born in Brooklyn, New York in 1890, attended the Peekskill Military Academy and graduated from Williams College in 1912. While at Williams he participated in various campus g...
  • Brevet Major General Benjamin Piatt Runkle (USA) (1836 - 1916)
    by: Find A Grave Added: 12 Oct 2000 Find A Grave Memorial 12982Civil War Union Brevet Major General. Born in Ohio, he was admitted to the Ohio State Bar Association in 1859 and practiced law at Cincinn...
  • William Alfred "Bill" Eddy, Ph.D., Col., USMC (1896 - 1962)
    Alfred "Bill" Eddy, Ph.D., Col., USMC (March 9, 1896–May 3, 1962) was a U.S. minister to Saudi Arabia (1944–1946), university professor and college president (1936–42), and United States Marine Corps o...
  • Charles Emmett Shew (1898 - 1968)
  • Chauncey Depew, U.S. Senator (1834 - 1928)
    Mitchell Depew (April 23, 1834 – April 5, 1928) was an attorney for Cornelius Vanderbilt's railroad interests, president of the New York Central Railroad System, and a United States Senator from New Yo...

Peekskill Military Academy was a military academy for young men and women, founded in 1833 as Peekskill Academy, located in Peekskill, New York, United States. The academy was built by a hanging tree where a British spy was executed in 1777; his bones were discovered and relocated during construction of a dormitory in the 1860s. In 1841 the academy decided to only admit boys. By 1857 it was known as Peekskill Military Academy. The school song was titled "The Big House on the Hill". The school motto was "Stand Firm As An Oak. Quit You Like Men." The academy closed in June 1968. The reason identified was a decline in enrollment and lack of endowment. Most buildings from Peekskill Military Academy were razed to make room for a new Peekskill High School building. The Ford Administration Building is the last significant structure remaining from the academy and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.

During the 1960s, the New York Jets football team used the Academy and its playing field as a summer training camp. Joe Namath was a Jets team member at the time.

A yellow brick road made of Dutch pavers, which used to lead from the steamboat dock to the academy and of which only one section remains as part of a parking lot, is thought by city historian John Curran, among others, to be the inspiration for the Yellow Brick Road in alumnus L. Frank Baum's Oz books including the Wizard of Oz.