Add participants in the Utah War of 1857 to this project. You can visit HistoryLink to find out which projects include your ancestors.
The Utah War, also known as the Utah Expedition, Utah Campaign, Buchanan's Blunder, the Mormon War, or the Mormon Rebellion was an armed confrontation between Mormon settlers in the Utah Territory and the armed forces of the United States government. The confrontation lasted from May 1857–July 1858. There were some casualties, mostly non-Mormon civilians, and the war had few notable battles, generally being resolved through negotiation.
Source: Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_War
Sources and Further Information
- Norman F. Furniss, The Mormon Conflict 1850-1859
- LeRoy R. Hafen and Ann W. Hafen, editors. The Utah Expedition, 1857-1858: A Documentary Account
- Utah War; Georgia's Blue and Gray Trail, America's Civil War
- Ardis E. Parshall, A Utah War Primer, The KeepAPitchinIn, 19 November 2008
- Lee Underbrink, The Utah War of 1857-58, The Casper Journal, 25 March 2014
- Donna G. Ramos, Utah War: U.S. Government Versus Mormon Settlers, Historynet.com
- Fort Bridger, the Mormon War, Fort Bridger Photos: From Wyoming Tales and Trails
- Utah War and Johnston's Army