The 'Neumark' or 'New Borderland' of Brandenburg is known in Polish as 'Nowa Marchia'. It was taken over by the Hohenzollerns in stages after they pushed eastwards across the River Oder/Odra, and came to be officially called 'East Brandenburg'. It once stretched as far east as Czaplinek (Tempelburg), which was annexed from Poland in the mid-17th Century. In due course, it was all incorporated into Prussia, until the whole area was returned to Poland in 1945. In the old days, under Polish rule, the Jews of the area did not use surnames, and were only forced to accept them by the Prussian bureaucracy. After the Partitions of Poland, which for centuries had been the only country where Jews could freely reside, many of them moved west into Germany, often using surnames that reflected their places of origin.