Started by Private User on Friday, January 20, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts
Private User
1/20/2012 at 3:07 PM

Great news. Writing to Geni is coming next week! We'll send out an email with all the details. It will be a little rough around the edges, but I am sure you can handle that.

This will be a small, very specific test for next week until the 1st of February or so. We have added a TON of new formats. We want to ensure our reading and writing is working great. So here's what we'll happen.

-You will be limited to 4 generations direct ancestors. For the test we only want your main tree to be affected so we can work out any "issues."
-You will not be able to load in an existing genealogy file YET. Instead you will download your 4 generations from Geni to whatever format you want. Whatever changes you make to the created file(s) (and once you hit sync, the auto-sync will come after the test) will be pushed back to Geni, but only within those 4 generations. We want you to try out every genealogy program you have any every field in those programs to ensure things pass properly.

After this quick test we'll then open up the generations. We have a long way we can go with this, and it's been a LONG time coming. Thank you for all your patience.

To help you get see what we've been up to, here's a list of all of our currently supported genealogy programs: http://ancestorsync.com/programs

I can't WAIT to get this into your hands...

1/20/2012 at 5:20 PM

When you say changes to the local file ...

Will that include download of media (e.g: pictures), and then either:

1) upload a new profile picture in place of the previous one?

and/or

2) upload a profile picture where none existed previously on Geni.com?

Private User
1/20/2012 at 8:07 PM

Dan Cornett If you change the main profile picture in your desktop it will replace it up on Geni. If you add a media item to a person on the desktop it will add it to Geni. :)

1/21/2012 at 2:26 AM

I suggest you clean up your web site before trying to re-build marketing hype....never mind credibility....

"When AncestorSync releases in June of 2011 you may choose any of our supported pedigrees, despite what you choose now. AncestorSync makes a great gift to your family members you want to get online! Pre-Order now and we'll notify you the moment you can download AncestorSync.

Initial release of AncestorSync will include download only from the web. Full synchronization will be released later in 2011."

Private User
1/21/2012 at 8:53 AM

Oddbjørn Olsen Oh, you mean our Geni projects page. Thanks for that, I didn't see it.

No one is as frustrated with the delay as I. Quite honestly our ininitial model was wrong. We had to go back and recode a ton of our base architecture. We've implemented new technologies that can scale and handle the needs of our users. Because of the earlier beta test we figured out what to fix. We're quite confident that we have it right this time, and we hope you feel the same when you see the results.

Thank you everyone for your patience. I really can't wait to get this new beta in your hands. :)

1/21/2012 at 9:02 AM

No, its a live link to your pre-order page. I haven't pre-ordered but I can imagine that those that have, are less than impressed.

I have however used (=wasted) a considerable amount of time in trying to make AncestorSync work.

The concept has great potential, but as they say, the proof is in the pudding.

https://ancestorsync.com/preorder.php

Private User
1/21/2012 at 9:07 AM

Oddbjørn Olsen Agreed. I hope we reach your expectations.

I will make the changes to the pre-order page. It will be changing a bit. Thank you for your input.

1/21/2012 at 1:51 PM

havin trouble with my download - ihave had to dump and re-install have done this severla times

right now its trying to login and has sat and grinded away for over an hour -

I know not been great on the other - but the syncing and not having to type in all the data has been my main interest -

i gave up on gedcoms - after being chastised - from even trying to get them direct from geni - - so sit here typing in all data off of/on on to GENI into my various files - - through GENI i was finally aboe to get ad fairly decent gedcom to work with on my gastinieau/dye data - but have not bother with nay other since its been a hassle and have to do gedcoms exports into legaaacy then export gecom from there and then gedcom back into PAF where all my data is at present

i did finally accomplish one thing to get my paf to work properly - it had cycles in it for some reason and was 'claming up' refusing to produce gedcoms, reports etc. my ahha moment saved my file of 11,000+ profiles with tons of documentation

Private User
1/21/2012 at 3:27 PM

Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Burns Stop using the file that's on the site. You'll be emailed about getting a new one shortly. :)

Private User
1/28/2012 at 9:26 PM

Starting Monday of next week we will be inviting beta testers at random to test out the new AncestorSync. Stay tuned and stick close to your email!

1/28/2012 at 11:52 PM

The pre-order page is still +/- 1 year "off"...

Private User
1/30/2012 at 11:13 PM

Oddbjørn Olsen Thank you. We're remaking the site. It will be improved within a few days.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 8:27 PM

I fear I have bad news. We found a substantial bug and we must resolve it before we hand this beta out. Stay tuned, I will keep you posted. Thank you all for your patience.

Private User
2/7/2012 at 11:30 AM

No problem, @Dovy Paukstys - we prefer that you sort out the bugs before they trouble us :-)
Greetings
Chris

2/12/2012 at 6:47 PM

Will it work with Linux OS?

Private User
2/13/2012 at 5:03 PM

Will you be including a new download link?

Private User
2/18/2012 at 5:20 PM

Michael David Beach Not right now. Windows and OSX, although it works with Wine I hear.

Private User Of course we will. As soon as we have it working.

2/21/2012 at 10:31 AM

Thanks Dovy, can I assume that it's been tested with Wine?

2/22/2012 at 6:59 AM

Private User My apologies, my last post makes no sense, I must have been very tired. It's a beta that hasn't even shipped, of course it hasn't been tested.

When you're ready to ship the beta out, I'd be happy to test it with Wine. Now I just have to find a genealogy program that works in Wine, any suggestions?

Private User
2/23/2012 at 6:27 PM

Rootsmagic works well i hear. Legacy will too I believe. I am not sure of the others. I am a Mac user personally. ;)

Private
2/24/2012 at 3:12 AM

I am a Legacy user after trying the others and it is the best as far as I am concerned. But now that is in South Africa although my so in America bought it there for me. Continually update.

3/23/2012 at 7:15 PM

@dovydas. Is there still life in this project, when is the next development due?

Private User
3/28/2012 at 10:59 AM

Willem Breet It's still very much alive. We're ironing some final issues and doing final internal testing before we deploy. It's coming, but I can't give a time yet. My apologies.

4/25/2012 at 9:47 PM

bump

4/25/2012 at 11:30 PM

wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggg hhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg dddddddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg Hope the waiting we all have been doing will be worth it

4/27/2012 at 4:14 PM

Private User We are all hoping for something more concrete than soon. How about a possible date you are shooting for.

4/27/2012 at 5:29 PM

I hate to say it maybe GENI officals should acquire the rights and have it as one of their assets of the subscription fees ( we do need more for the money than than the gift items) Subscribers need some type of more interaction than they have now it would solve the gedcom issues

Private User
5/9/2012 at 5:23 AM

The beta is LIVE! Go to http://ancestorsync.com. :)

P.S. Check out our newly supported programs.

Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Burns, I think you'll like one of our new supported programs. ;)

5/9/2012 at 8:29 AM

Oh hope so - I have been databasin another branch of my family by SURNAME only as I have a hugh notebook to got thorugh on them I gedcom my branch out of my PAF and used it as the start basis as other gedcoms I found I do what people deema erotic or totally nuts I go in and delete all hose peskey "unknowns", "living", "private' if blank and go check marriage recockrds an those that have no names attached to the - delete those as well as them blank ones without a spouse ab then gedcom an dimport into the main file and then start the merging process gain.

5/9/2012 at 12:57 PM

done a down load - found only one Error on it thus far - a major one i would feel and would present problems -

my son was marked as " deceased" by Ancestorsync and given all his fathers biographical data - nor any dates and no comments of him being deceased!

there was no biographical data in the about me section until i done a synce before i seen this so i took that info back out within his profile
Private

David / Dave Boswell Burns

I will delte the download and see if this occurs again

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion