Ignatius Maree b10 - Sources to confirm birthdate

Started by Sharon Doubell on Saturday, November 24, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 12 posts
11/24/2012 at 9:23 AM

What are our sources to confirm this birth date: 18 July 1729, Drakenstein, Suid Afrika, Cape?

which appears to contradict the First Fifty Years' Project suggestion that Ignatius was born before Ignace arrived in the Cape in 1705:

"Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Lorna: 7.2.1706 trou "Ignatius Maree van Calabria wedr: met Susanna van Veuren van Cabo jongd:" Sy was d/v Gerrit Jansz van Vuuren en Susanna Jacobs. Ignatius het c1705 na die Kaap gekom met sy kinders Catharina en Ignatius uit sy vorige huwelik. 19.5.1707 vra Ignatius Marre van dondregt (sic) verlof om na Drakenstein te verhuis. Sy land van herkoms is nog omstrede. Langefontein, Kuilsrivier het aan hom behoort. Hy koop St Omar, Dal Josephat in 1724 van Armand Veron."

on http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g5/p5206.htm.

Private
11/24/2012 at 10:36 AM

This refers to Ignace's son Ignatius. If there had been a younger Ignatius, he had clearly died by 1729 and we don't need to concern ourselves with him since he didn't leave progeny.

11/24/2012 at 11:00 AM

Not following you. This profile is the younger Ignatius.

Private
11/24/2012 at 11:04 AM

Yes, the SV's son. If there had been a younger Ignatius who had arrived with his father in 1705, he had died by 1729 when this Ignatius was given the same name.

I'm referring to 'which appears to contradict the First Fifty Years' Project suggestion that Ignatius was born before Ignace arrived in the Cape in 1705:'

11/24/2012 at 11:36 AM

Oh, you mean an older one. Yes I see.

But why shouldn't we concern ourselves with whether either are valid?

There are a number of possible scenarios here. Two of them being quite pertinent to the validity of our tree:

1) The older Ignatius has no primary source citation, and is the result of an idiosyncratic interpretation by the FFYP secondary source, - and he is actually the same person as the younger Ignatius (our Ignatius).

2)There is a primary source for the older Ignatius, and we can enter him on the tree as well as his younger, half brother.
And, as that primary source is also likely to cite Catherine as his sister on the boat - we would have positive confirmation of her status as Ignace's sister.

11/24/2012 at 11:41 AM

3) We have no source to validate the younger Ignatius's later - 1729 - birthdate, and the only Ignatius is actually the older brother (Perhaps the 1729 baptism date that the FFYP has for him is the baptism of the older brother well after he was born. In which case, though - they have his mother wrong.)

Private
11/24/2012 at 12:36 PM

I've uploaded the baptism entry for Ignatius, b 1729 to his profile. His mother's name appears.

11/24/2012 at 1:02 PM

Fantastic! Thanks. So his baptism and mother are certain. He definitely doesn't come out on the boat.

We're still looking for the primary source that was used to enter the birthdate here.

Private
11/24/2012 at 1:37 PM

It might be from a death notice?

I've only found his L & D account: KAB MOOC 13/1/27, 4 MAREE, IGNATIUS. LIQUIDATION AND DISTRIBUTION ACCOUNT. BEGIN 1803. END 1804.

11/25/2012 at 3:51 AM

An emailed reply from Delia Robertson of the First Fifty Years' Project here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/110795?msg=833314&page=4
suggests that we can use Muster rolls to prove the existence of an older half-brother, Ignatius,
so I am entering him on the tree as well as his younger, half brother, Ignatius.

This doesn't corroborate Catherine as being his sister on the boat - so we don't have positive confirmation of her status as Ignatius' sister (not his aunt), but, on balance of probabilities, I think the former is most likely.
The problem of the portraits remains unsolved, and might have to stay that way :-)

11/25/2012 at 3:54 AM

Yes, perhaps it was from a death notice, Jansi. I think we should assume it is accurate, until proved otherwise - as it conforms with the data we have.

We'll just put a note here that we are still searching for the primary source for his birth date, if anyone has it / finds it.

11/25/2012 at 4:36 AM

Please welcome our newest Geni Mare profile - Ignatius Maré - Much labour has gone into his birth. Thank you all. Please request we add you as a manager if you have an interest.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion