Rose Newton (Allerton) - REQUESTING IMMEDIATE CORRECTION - - WAS ROSE (NEWTON) ALLERTON'S PROFILE MERGED IN ERROR???

Started by Private User on Sunday, June 29, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 40 posts
Private User
6/29/2014 at 11:25 AM

I visited the Mayflower Society in Plymouth, MA. this week. Research indicated Isaac Allerton, Jr. did NOT have a daughter named Rose. I would appreciate assistance from manager(s) with research and clarification as soon as possible. It would appear that someone merged Rose (Allerton) Newton's GENI file incorrectly. Thank you.

6/29/2014 at 11:54 AM

Della,

I am only one of the 45 manages on this profile - and it has considerably more information then what I had originally found.

However, I don't believe that Rose Newton's profile has been merged in error. According to the Source listed on the profile, the parents are correct.

Here's the source:

Allerton, Walter S., and Horace True Currier. A history of the Allerton family in the United States, 1585 to 1885: and a genealogy of the descendants of Isaac Allerton, "Mayflower pilgrim," Plymouth, Mass., 1620. (Chicago, IL: S.W. Allerton, 1900). Page 34

So, at this point - that is the research that is available for the profile...

Did your research at the Mayflower Society give who the documented children for Issac Allerton, Jr are?

d

6/29/2014 at 1:25 PM

I tend to agree with Private User

Look at the Data conflict on this profile http://www.geni.com/merge/resolve/6000000001689666744

6/29/2014 at 1:38 PM

If you look at this profile Dr. Thomas Gerard, Gent. presently shows as a husband to Rose Allerton, the Curator note shows " Dr. Thomas Gerard, son Sir Thomas, 2nd Baronet Gerard and Frances Molyneux, trained as a surgeon. Left England in 1638 with Gov. Calvert to establish Maryland Colony. He died in 1673 in Westmoreland County, VA. Married (1) Susannah Snowe (2) Rose Tucker."

If you look at revisions on Rose Allerton you will see Rose Tucker was merged in Rose Allerton..

6/29/2014 at 1:39 PM

Lets tag Private User for her assistance

6/29/2014 at 1:43 PM
6/29/2014 at 1:47 PM

Agree this was a mismerge. What happened to the Rose Allerton overview? Angus perhaps this is a case for the merge undo that is currently being tested? Could you add it to the que?

The Mayflower Society may not accept Rose as a daughter of Isaac Allerton, but other respected researchers do.

6/29/2014 at 1:49 PM

Let's not re research everything just yet:). Let's get it reverted to what it was.

6/29/2014 at 1:54 PM

Will do Erica..

6/29/2014 at 2:03 PM

I just found this and don't want to forget..read the summation at bottom
http://www.genfan.com/getperson.php?personID=I911&tree=MASTER#c...

6/29/2014 at 2:14 PM

Here is the exact page for the reference Donald cited above

http://archive.org/stream/historyofallerto1900alle#page/34/mode/1up

To paraphrase: by 2nd wife, 1st daughter (unnamed), married Mr. Newton, son Allerton Newton.

Other sources I could have sworn were written into the overview made the case for her 1st name of Rose.

Private User
6/30/2014 at 5:03 PM

Okay, I just found the note requesting my participation. Sorry to be late to the party! Inbox messages get to me faster than being tagged in a discussion.

First off, there was no merge on Rose's profile since January. However, there were non-merge edits done in May (parents were changed), in April (data added to nickname field), February (parents changed) and in January (child and spouse added). With this in mind, will the merge undo script still work?

Second, I can still follow the link to Erica's source. It says Daughter Allerton, by a second wife, married Mr. Newton and had a son, Allerton Newton, mentioned in the will. This is the same data that Donald is referring to.

Third, from the history of the overview tab, I cannot find any revisions that would have removed history from that tab. Sorry, Erica, if you made notes on the overview about the first name Rose, I surely cannot find them.

Last, regarding Angus' link above, "From Roots to Nuts," Isaac had a son named Isaac, born about 1630, who graduated from Harvard in the seventh graduating class and who settled in Virginia beside the NEWTONs.

I don't know a lot about Mayflower families but I do have some decent resources when it comes to early Virginia families. I will see what I can find on the son Isaac who settled in Virginia.

6/30/2014 at 5:33 PM

Maria - we've requested a complete merge undo.

Please wait on that.

Tammy Swingle & i had spent a lot of time and effort on the profiles, I don't want to see the wheels re invented.

Unfortunately I did not upload enough documents. There was a site which walked through the case for her name being Rose.

There is no question she was Allerton daughter. He relocated to Virginia, the only Mayflower passenger to do so, and his tree is in good shape in Geni until this bad merge or edit.

Private User
6/30/2014 at 5:33 PM

http://media.geni.com/p13/f1/9d/52/3f/5344483b4c6980ca/allerton_1_o...

This piece was attached as a photo, instead of as a source. As a result, it is difficult to track it down and see what else is of value in the document. We lucked out this time, the piece is from "Lee of Virginia," one of the two best known sources on the Lee family.

If you go to midway down the document, you will see that, in addition to Lees, one of Isaac Allerton Jr.'s nearest neighbors was Dr. Thomas Garrard. You will see mention of grandson Allerton Newton. You will see that daughter Sarah is identified as Sarah Lee (so we know she wasn't Allerton Newton's mother) and you will not see any daughter named Rose or any marriage to a Newton. I wouldn't expect a full history of the Allertons in a book about the Lees, but this little bit of information confirms a couple of facts.

6/30/2014 at 5:35 PM

Maria what would be great is if you worked on the Dr Gerrard side. Wife, children, etc. I''m much closer related to "that" family but haven't worked on it.

6/30/2014 at 6:34 PM

Here we go - I'm uploading this to every relevant profile

http://genforum.genealogy.com/tucker/messages/5490.html

"Brian: Unfortunately, the information posted on the Allerton forum about John Tucker and Rose Allerton is incorrect.

John Tucker and Isaac Allerton Jr. (1628-1702) were contemporaries and John Tucker died (1671) before any of Isaac Allerton's children had married.

John Tucker's (c1630-1671) wife was Rose Sturman (aft1635-1712) who later married Dr. Thomas Gerrard and John Newton Sr.

John Newton Jr., who became Rose's step-son in 1676, married an Allerton and this appears to be the source of the Tucker/Allerton error which has been widely disseminated".

Private User
6/30/2014 at 10:12 PM

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NEWTON/1998-03/089016...

Mary Allerton was the mother of the grandson Allerton Newton, who is mentioned in Isaac Jr's will. Allerton Newton's father was John Newton, Jr. This ties in with your last post, Erica.

There is no Rose Allerton for another four generations (see page 41 of your Allerton book).

Private User
6/30/2014 at 10:14 PM

Yes, I can work a bit on the Gerrard family.

I'm in the midst of the Boatwrights (VA - NC - SC - GA) at the moment, but I can at least do some research on Gerrard.

6/30/2014 at 10:54 PM

I'm going to go ahead and create a new Rose Sturman (aft1635-1712) profile. The existing "Rose Allerton" has a correct child attached, and I don't know Rose Sturman at all and who, if any, her children are.

"Rose Allerton" will probably end up as "daughter Allerton" as per the book. There's another profile that has her given name as Mary.

7/1/2014 at 12:42 PM

The undo merge script being tested with Geni has completed, now we need to reassemble this family group profiles.

Following this posting as the guide (we can flesh it out later)

Rosanna Newton

Her name actually was Rose Sturman (aft1635-1712).

She married
1) John Tucker, Sr.
2) Dr. Thomas Gerrard
3) John Newton, Sr.

John Newton, Sr. married
1) ?? (someone may know the name)
2) Rose Sturman, widow Gerrard

By the previous wife he had a son:
1) John Newton, Jr.

Who married "daughter" Allerton - Issac Allerton's daughter by his 2nd wife. Their son was Allerton Newton.

Some have "daughter's" name as Mary, some as Rose.

7/1/2014 at 1:15 PM

Time out World Cup on US V Belgium go ahead if you wish..lol

7/1/2014 at 2:07 PM

You have your priorities correct! :):)

7/1/2014 at 2:52 PM

"technical difficulties" have been sorted and the UN merge successful. Children have been moved over to their correct parents (I hope - please check).

More merging is needed as the tree correction brings in more profiles.

And now we need to build out the sources to support and detail the profiles.

I think that's best organized by family group?

Here is a resource for the TUCKER family and support for "daughter" Allerton's given name of MARY:

# [http://books.google.com/books?id=jC9fDj72fxAC&lpg=PA197&ots... Colonial Virginians and Their Maryland Relatives: A Genealogy of the Tucker Family and Also the Families of Allen, Blackistone, Chandler, Ford, Gerard, Harmor, Hume, Monroe, Skaggs, Smith, Stevesson, Stone, Sturman, Thompson, Ward, Yowell, and Others (Google eBook) Norma Tucker. Genealogical Publishing Com, 1994 - Reference - 274 pages. Page 197. Text: " ... Other Allerton children were: 5 - Frances Allerton married Samuel Travers and 6 - Mary Allerton who married John Newton of Rose Tucker Gerard Newton line."

I will try and take a screen shot to load to the profiles.

7/1/2014 at 9:53 PM

Private User

Thank you very much for calling attention to this.

The profiles could use some more detailing, but I believe the tree is correct now for a couple of generations.

This is what Wikipedia has about what the Mayflower Society stance on Isaac Allerton's Virginia family:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Allerton,_Jr

7/1/2014 at 9:57 PM

"(The following marriage and children information is no longer accepted by the General Society of Mayflower Descendants; see Mayflower Families Through Five Generations (Vol. 17: Issac Allerton) by Robert S. Wakefield and Margaret Harris Stover.)"

As to "why" that is, The MFD would have to say. The paper trail seems pretty clear to me, but Virginia genealogy is "different" from New England genealogy, perhaps due to the effects on records from the War of the Rebellion.

Quite a lot of detail included here:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=mrmar...

Which has been uploaded to the profiles mentioned.

Private User
7/2/2014 at 9:03 AM

The colonial records of New Kent County were destroyed by a fire in 1787, which was set by John P. Posey, for which he was hung. Among the Virginia counties with records that were burned and/or lost in acts of war and court house fires are; King and Queen County records from 1654-1691, and King William County records from 1654 to 1702, Hanover County records from 1654 to 1728, Louisa County records from 1654 to 1728, and part of Caroline County from 1654 to 1720, and again New Kent County records from 1787 and 1864 were all lost to fire. These counties are all north of the James River.

When a region loses so many documents, primary sources cannot be found and secondary resources become accepted as fact. This is why VA and New England genealogy for the same family can vary widely.

Private User
7/3/2014 at 1:01 PM

The Allerton family book in the Mayflower Society library indicated that Isaac Allerton, Jr. had multiple wives, however, it indicated that he did NOT have ANY children with Elizabeth (Willoughby) Allerton. I greatly appreciate the the numerous responses to my discussion thread and hope resolution will be found to verify or correct GENI entries/merges that were made in the past.

7/3/2014 at 3:33 PM

Do bear in mind that Geni is not the MFD and please do examine the evidence carefully for the marriage of Elizabeth Willoughby to Isaac Allerton. The records I looked at indicated a lot of interaction between the Tucker, Newton, Allerton and Gerard families.

You will find them best assembled on the matriarch Rose's profile, attached as documents, and as links in the overview.

Which line are you pursuing in Virginia?

7/3/2014 at 4:03 PM

In here http://books.google.ca/books?id=jC9fDj72fxAC&lpg=PA197&ots=...

Are the children of Isaac Allerton those of Elizabeth?

7/3/2014 at 6:16 PM

Angus I think it will be easier to start studying from

Rosanna Newton

As I've completely sourced that profile.

Her step son John Newton Jr married Mary Allerton, daughter of Isaac Allerton by his 2nd wife Elizabeth Willoughby. Their son Allerton Newton was named in his grandfather's will of 1704.

In Virginia they accept will evidence. :):)

Showing 1-30 of 40 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion