Hendrina Smit - African mtDNA (L5) a puzzle.

Started by Sharon Doubell on Monday, September 22, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 84 posts

Thanks Stephanie & Sharon..Hope we hear from the person on 23 & Me!

Further update on Hendrina Smit MtDNA L5....I tried posting this on the L5 page but was unable to do so...Therefore I am placing this new information here......My MtDNA, therefore the same going back on the female line to Hendrina..Complete information now from Scotlands DNA..Right...L5 Branch 1'2'3'4'5'6' 2758G; Branch L5 3523C; Branch L5 12432T; Branch L5 16166G........Markers that differ from CRS : HVR2: 73G;146C;152C;182C;195C ;247A; 263G;..CR: 750G;769A; 1018A; 1438G; 2706G; 3334G; 3345C; 3423C; 3594T; 3918A; 4104G; 4679C; 4769G; 6164T; 6260A; 6527G; 7028T; 7521A; 7765G; 8450C; 8485A; 8655T; 8701G; 9540C; 9947A; 10688A; 10810C; 10920T; 11023G; 11719A; 11734G; 11809C; 12432T; 12669T; 12705T; 13506T; 13650T; 14020C; 14548G; 15236G;15301A; 15924G; 15941C; HVR1: 16042A; 16129A; 16145A; 16166d; 16166G; 16169.1C; 16189C; 16223T; 16278T; 16311C; 16362C.

I'm also waiting for a full sequence MtDNA from FTDNA...They are having to score it manually, because the Haplogroup etc.....is so rare!

Right...I have just received my mitochondrial Haplogroup from the National Geographic Project, & they have assigned me to: L5b1a.....I have been unable to find out any further information about this, except on the map of the world, the areas coloured, where this is found, are: Ethiopia; Sudan; Egypt; Arabia; & Iraq....I am still awaiting my Mt. results from FTDNA, which will hopefully give more information..But it looks like Hendrina Smit & her female descendants can be assigned to L5b1a......

Yaay! Upload it to your profile.

Now we've got to figure out where the line is incorrect, because, at the moment, it leads from you L5b1a... to
Sarah Barentsz Cochet, SM/PROG K1a-T195C
All help appreciated... :-)

I can guarantee my line to Hendrina Smit..But beyond that it goes wrong. On Geni, Hendrina'a mother is listed as Hester Bekker, Hester's mother as Janetjie de Clerq, & Janettjie's mother as Sara Cochet , who is K etc.....So, if Hester Bekker is definitely the daughter of Janetjie de Clerq, then Hester Bekker cannot be the mother of Hendrina Smit.....It is still possible Alewyn Smit is her father by another (unknown so far) mother..As her surname is Smit, that is possible..Or maybe she was an orphan & adopted...It doesn't help that L5b1a, is an extremely rare haplogroup either..It isn't even mentioned on Wikipedia L5!...I have been on DNA sites, & the best explanation is that it is a newly discovered sub group..I always thought I was different.But........

Sharon..Could you please change L5 on the Hendrina projects etc, to L5b1a..Thanks.

I wanted to say that Hendrina's parents did not make sense to me too. Last night I picked up on tree view that her names do not match any of her parents, which is very uncommon for that period. (and then the big storm came and I gave up)

If I recall correctly, I went into Revisions and saw in 2013 a change of parents.

Furthermore, there is no DVN. Why would all her supposed siblings have and she not?

Anybody checked it out? Does she fit as b7c13?

In fact, looking at the names of her children, not one of them is called Alwyn and not one is called Hester.

I have been trying unsuccessfully to find her Death Notice, as that would give the name of her parents..The date & place of her death are known, so why no death notice?

Hi Danielle, she may not have had a DN, if she didn't have any property as such.On the other hand, Civil registrations of Deaths or Death Certificates (different to DNs) as we know them today, was only issued after 1895. She does have an entry in a death register, which I have, but it contains minimal info. Will upload it to her profile later

Thanks Linda.

@
Dear All
I have not yet linked Hendina SMIT (w.o. Willem STEENKAMP) birth as 23/10/1737 as per SAG Genealogies STEENKAMP to any parents.
Hester BEKKER (w.o. Alewyn SMIT) did not have a daughter named Hendrina so the line back to Sara COCHET seems to be the wrong line.
Regards
David de Klerk

Thanks David..Perhaps somebody on here could remove those links.

Okay Private User =- I'm doing that. I'll add Hendrina as your mtDNA Prog on the project.

Hi Danielle, we have just discovered that we are 3rd cousins but I do not have a maternal line back to Hendrina Steenkamp. There is however a new mtDNA descent line back from Hendrina Steenkamp starting down at Christina Maria Symington b5c1 (elder sister of Josina Christina Symington) on Geni: Hendrina Steenkamp, Johanna Lavina Sophia Steenkamp, Christina Maria Coetzee, Martha Maria Coetzee, Christina Maria Symington b5c1, Martha Maria (Coetzee) du Plessis (Theron) b4c1d2e7f1g1h3, Christina Maria Cloete (du Plessis). This last Christina also had a sister Christina Francina Loots (du Plessis). If you can find female descendants of Christina Maria or Christina Francina that are still alive they will also be your 3rd cousins (with a maternal line back to Hendrina Steenkamp). Don't know if this will help to solve the mystery?

The haplogroup has now been confirmed by FTDNA, as L7a, a newly discovered..& very old Haplogroup, going back over 100,100 years.

Could all the previous references to L5 etc. be removed..Thanks.

I take it that FTDNA reassigned yours? I'll update the CN. Which other references are there that you need me to access for you?

Yes they did Sharon.(FTDNA). They even rang me up to discuss it; & a scientific paper has been published about this recently discovered haplogroup...I think there are references to L5, above Hendrina Smit's proflile..If I discover any others I'll let you know.

Oh, & thanks.

If you find the paper, please post us the link. Such a fascinating area.

Will do Sharon.

Wow! Danielle - it says about you: "For example, one single L7 sequence (L7a*) that traces roots to South Africa is 80,000 years apart from all other L7s discovered! That is the most unique mitochondrial DNA lineage ever found in a living person." https://blog.familytreedna.com/ancient-human-lineage-rediscovered/?...

IMPRESSED!

Thanks Sharon..Yes, it is a bit overwhelming!

I think they should give you an honourary title for this, at the very least. A banner or a tiara or something appropriate :-)

Re ancestor Smit ?
Our gardener descendant of a Smit that settled in Kapteinskloof ,Piketberg early 1700's
Mother a Magdalene Smit.
He had 2 or 3 Khoi / Hoyri!kwagga wives.
Think worth investigating

Johanna Smit ,Wagenpad.

You'll need to plot his tree

Showing 31-60 of 84 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion