Zombies please

Started by Mike Stangel on Tuesday, October 7, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1-30 of 3382 posts
10/7/2014 at 3:16 PM

This discussion is a continuation of http://www.geni.com/discussions/76010

For those who don't know, a "zombie" is a profile of a deceased person that is incorrectly marked as living. Our curators have a mechanism to "kill" these zombies. If you come across any zombies in the tree, please post a link to a nearby profile here and they will do their best to take care of them.

10/7/2014 at 6:58 PM

Mike Stangel,

Can you please make this discussion sticky.

Kevin

10/7/2014 at 8:00 PM

Sure.

10/7/2014 at 8:06 PM

Thanks.

Private User
10/7/2014 at 10:57 PM

More zombies - William B Bozeman

Private User
10/7/2014 at 10:58 PM

And more zombies, in case the previous sweep doesn't get 'em: John Justice

10/8/2014 at 5:12 AM

tank you ;-)

Private User
10/8/2014 at 2:51 PM

And still more zombies - they're everywhere!

Bridget M Bozman

Thanks for getting the first two rounds - will this do it?

Private User
10/8/2014 at 4:50 PM

That seems to have got the last of them (I hope) - thanks!

10/8/2014 at 7:39 PM

Private User
Done

10/10/2014 at 2:50 AM

Pieter Kokshoorn
parents and grandparents are zombies

10/10/2014 at 8:31 AM

Ard van Bergen

Could not find any...and no one else edited them today

10/10/2014 at 9:47 AM

Strange, when I posted this I am sure his mother and her parents were inaccessible for me, so I assumed they were private because of still being alive.
But when I look at his tree now, it is all public and OK

Sorry for wasting your time!

10/10/2014 at 10:03 AM

Arie - I corrected them and then got side tracked before posting you back a message. You are not going crazy! :) Not sure why it may not have showed that I did an edit.

10/10/2014 at 10:17 AM

No no Arie not wasting anyones time..lets find out what happened, this is odd.

Mike Stangel we were requested to change zombies for Pieter Kokshoorn parents and granparents

Lori did them but we not seeing them in Revisions

10/10/2014 at 2:07 PM

Lori Lynn Wilke how did you correct them? Zombie killer task, or by hand? When did you do it? Can you point to one or a couple profiles that were definitely changed from living/private to deceased/public ?

10/10/2014 at 2:56 PM

It was the mother of Pieter Kokshoorn and her parents. I changed them by hand to deceased. It would have been between 0947 and 1000 this morning.

10/10/2014 at 5:10 PM

When I look at the Revisions tab on Pieter's mother Cornelia, I see: "Cornelia Kouwenhoven's profile was updated by Lori Lynn Wilke. privacy" and hovering over "privacy" shows "public" -- that's exactly what I would expect. (?)

10/10/2014 at 7:15 PM

Mike Stangel I can vouch for Lori. I checked those profiles because I did not see that any other Curator said that they did. When I looked at the profiles they were all showing deceased/public and no recent revisions. So I assumed Arie might have asked for the wrong profiles. Those revisions were not showing as they are now..That is the reason for my post

'Today at 11:31 AM
Report | Delete
Arie Riemer Dirk van Bergen

Could not find any...and no one else edited them today'

Let us see if it occurs again..

10/11/2014 at 9:15 AM

... I suspect there may be some caching / update delay involved. I have at times seen recent revisions not show up, but then going back later to that profile (especially from a different computer) *will* show the expected revisions.

10/11/2014 at 10:41 AM

This woman (1856-1906) is not a Zombie.
Thora Gunhilde Smith-Meyer
However, her husband, her parents, grandparents, children, uncles & aunts, the lot, are. Zombies.

10/11/2014 at 11:25 AM

Karl Halvor Wollan

Those profiles even though they are multi-managed were made private by one of the Managers it is just on the borderline where we would make them public. Please see if you can send a message to the Managers and ask if one of them would make them public

10/11/2014 at 11:30 AM

To contact the managers go to the profile Thora Gunhilde Smith-Meyer to the right click on 'Contact Profile Manager' and send your message.

Private User
10/11/2014 at 11:54 AM

I see Thora has several great-grandchildren with claimed profiles (plus great-great with claimed profiles) --- another possibility is, from your in-box, send a message - choosing "Descendents of' - and enter Thora's name (if it does not pop in drop-down menu, go to her profile, click 'follow', try again) -- be sweet - it is possibly they will be quite willing if you explain why you would like the Profiles to be public - but it is also possible some want some or all of the ones you mentioned to be private for the family. [it is, of course, also possible some or all are no longer active - but equally possible some may be still receiving messages, and may respond]

Private User
10/11/2014 at 2:22 PM

Angus Wood-Salomon You call those profiles borderline of it should be public or not.
If that is borderline, then there is something seriously wrong with those rules. In case of borderline I think you should look at the nationality of those profiles and then follow the local rules.
There are tables to be found with the rules to follow.

Private User
10/11/2014 at 2:35 PM

Considering that Geni's definition of "close family" is back to 3rd great-grandparent -- these are way inside the "close family" of current Geni-users (simple great-parent of many!). At least until the latest Privacy Changes, Geni had assured us absolutely that we could make (and keep) private back to 3rd great-grandparent. I would hate to think folks are wantonly forcing them Public willy-nilly without consulting the family wishes.

No idea what tables you are referring to Jeroen - but if they were in effect before the changes this past July, and were more than just recommendations, then it sounds like they were in violation of Geni policy.

10/11/2014 at 3:46 PM

Karl Halvor Wollan there was a requested merge by a manager who falls within the "family group" on the husband so I completed that merge.

Lois - curators are pretty clear on privacy rules in Geni and do check. We don't actually need reminders. :)

Luckily we also have outstanding Norwegian curators who can advise on the laws and freely available records in Scandinavia, and many are in fact related due to the very hard work building their trees for a number of years.

So if contacting a manager doesn't resolve making public the profiles born 1825 currently showing as public, I imagine we can work on some other ways to resolve the issues.

10/11/2014 at 3:48 PM

Sorry - should read: profiles born 1825 currently showing as "private." (The wife's parents).

Private User
10/12/2014 at 1:52 AM

Branca Buitenkant

thank you

10/13/2014 at 3:39 AM
Showing 1-30 of 3382 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion