Catharina van Paliacatta, SM/PROG - Catharina van Paliacatta, SM/PROG - Confirmation by genetics?

Started by Kornelius Snyman on Friday, October 10, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 58 posts
10/10/2014 at 3:41 AM

Does anyone know of a female-only descendant of Catharina van Paliacatta who had their DNA tested?

The mtDNA project explains how to use the History Link graph to identify geni users who might share her mtDNA: http://www.geni.com/projects/South-African-mtDNA-Progenitors/17863.

This is of great interest as there is still some debate on the origins of the Snyman lineage, with suggestions of male progenitors from at least Germany, Bengal and France, and female progenitors from at least Bengal (Catharina) or France.

According to Mansell G. Upham's book: "In hewigen woede" Catharina van Paliacatta is the progenitor of all Snymans, so Catharina forms part and parcel of the question (or of the answer!).

Such Mitochondrial DNA information would be available if a child (male or female) of a daughter of a daughter ... (back up through females only) of a daughter of Catharina van Paliacatta had his/her Mitochondrial DNA tested to determine the Mitochondrial haplogroup of this lineage.
Only the last child can be a male, as Mitochondrial DNA is only carried further by mothers (not by fathers). Both sons and daughters inherit Mitochondrial DNA from their mothers though.

For more on this please see: http://www.geni.com/discussions/135349

10/10/2014 at 9:45 AM

Kornelius, I've run the HistorLink graph twice for her, and unfortunately there are no Geni users I can see who are descended from her. (Her descendants seem to stop in the 1800s)

10/10/2014 at 10:13 AM

she is my 9th grandmom - I am not clued up with the DNA testing and things .. but if she is my grandmom surely she has decendants ?

10/10/2014 at 10:47 AM

Willa, I was searching for mother to daughter to daughter descendants. None that I can see. Maybe their profiles aren't public?

10/10/2014 at 10:54 AM

I see - sorry was a bit slow ... my line has males in between .. so if it is a direct female line - is that better for DNA testing?

10/10/2014 at 11:14 AM

Only for mtDNA testing - which is not really anything special, but much easier to track with DNA tests because it passes - without combining with the sexual partner's DNA - from mother to daughter to daughter etc

The Y chromosone also doesn't recombine, but passes from father to son to son etc.

All the other chromosomes combine with those of the sexual partner in every generation, so DNA tracking of them is much more difficult - and more expensive.

10/10/2014 at 11:29 AM

would mtDNA help me find my grandmom's mom? sorry - this is not the place for it but really intresting topic and I would like to see what the findings is on Catharina

10/10/2014 at 11:01 PM

Well depends what you mean - 'help you find'
if the grandmom you are talking about is you maternal granny - then, yes - you will have the same mtDNA as her. But matching the name records of a person to that mtDNA relies on thousands of South Africans having themselves tested, and also having developed a family tree record.
In other words, if you were to stumble upon a living cousin match with your mtDNA result, and they were to have your mutual granny on their tree - then it would have helped you find her. That's part of what this project is about: http://www.geni.com/projects/South-African-mtDNA-Female-Progenitors... but, it's really a long shot. :-)

10/10/2014 at 11:02 PM

Thanks Sharon Doubell for running the History Link graph for her. I got the same results earlier (not surprisingly..).

Hopefully discussions such as these will encourage more people to research their maternal ancestors and to get their mtDNA tested.

Willa Potgieter x Huang xx Truter: If you are referring to your mother's mother's mom, then mtDNA is relevant. Will an mtDNA test help you to find your maternal great grandmother? It could potentially help to narrow down the search, but I doubt if there is enough DNA test results out there to pin-point a great-grandmother at this stage.

10/10/2014 at 11:15 PM

thank you both of you - much appreciated - going to visit the link Sharon shared and will keep an eye here to see what the results are ...

Private User
10/11/2014 at 1:58 AM

Willa.....Sorry to but in on the discussion here...... If you take an autosomal test, that will take you back 5-6 generations on your mother & father's side, & may help you with finding relatives, & who is in your tree..I have just sent off for one myself recently.

10/18/2014 at 2:08 AM

Sharon Doubell, after scrutinising the results of History Link Graph again, I found a female only descendant of Catharina "Groote Catrijn" van Paliacatta, SM/PROG on geni that lived till 1950. I've contacted her profile manager in the hope that we can find a female-only descendant prepared to get his/her mtDNA tested.

10/18/2014 at 12:19 PM

Shew that's good detective work, Kornelius. Here's holding thumbs :-)

Private User
1/2/2015 at 1:58 AM

She is my 9th ggm as well, but also not a maternal lineage, so no clue about the mtDNA haplogroup.

1/25/2015 at 10:31 PM

I am her direct descendant through multiple lines. She was also known as Catrijn van Malabar, which is what she is called in our family tree. I am her 11th ggranddaughter through my female only line.

My mtDNA haplogroup is U2c, which is most common in India. That makes sense as Paliacatte is on the Coromandel (south eastern) coast of India.

Private User
1/25/2015 at 11:07 PM

Elizabeth Anne ten Have, I see that you are not listed as her descendant on Geni. Please contact one of the administrators if you need assistance.

Welcome to Geni

1/25/2015 at 11:32 PM

Yaaaay Beth Hawkins! Welcome to Geni - Much sought after descendant!
Kornelius Snyman - you will be pleased to meet her.

Elizabeth - can I help you get your line to Catrijn onto Geni? It will be so much appreciated by the rest of us.

Private User
1/25/2015 at 11:51 PM

Thanks Sharon.

1/26/2015 at 2:52 AM

Fantastic news, @Elizabeth Anne ten Have.
@Sharon Doubell, could the mtDNA information provisionally be added to the relevant SA project? (Have forgotten the correct project name...)

1/26/2015 at 3:51 AM

Done already Johann :-) Take a look. I even created a U2c Haplogroup project :-)

1/26/2015 at 4:36 AM

Wow - you ARE moving fast. Thank you!

1/26/2015 at 5:59 AM

Hi all, I didn't expect responses so quickly! I posted my info just before going out for the evening, hence my delayed reply.

I uploaded my family tree to MyHeritage.com yesterday, but MyHeritage is connected to Geni, i think(?)

I haven't actually got a paid membership to either at this point, so I'm not sure how much I can do at this point. Let me do some investigation to see if I can find out how it all works.

I'm very happy to help wherever I can, though.

Cheers,
Beth

1/26/2015 at 6:01 AM

PS Thanks for the welcome! :)

Private User
1/26/2015 at 6:49 AM

Beth Hawkins if you add a little more info to your tree, some dates etc.. Geni will find a match to your MyHeritage tree, then I can help you import the data across...

1/26/2015 at 7:18 AM

Its already found a match to ME, because someone has me on there under my previous married name, and deceased! It should have found the match to my father too, as he is deceased. I will check the info again that I have on here for him to make sure it is complete.

1/26/2015 at 7:34 AM

:-) Beth - do you know who Mary Cecilia Williams mother was? I don't see her on your or on the MH tree.

1/26/2015 at 7:53 AM

Donovan, I added some dates for my father, and did get a match to him. Not sure how that helps, though?

1/26/2015 at 7:54 AM

Sharon, Mary Williams mother is Elizabeth Ann Williams. She is on there. :)

1/26/2015 at 7:55 AM

Oh, and she was born a Williams and married a Williams!

Showing 1-30 of 58 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion