Ya'rub . - Link of Ya'rub to Joktan?

Started by Harald Tveit Alvestrand on Sunday, September 27, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
9/27/2015 at 11:37 PM

As far as I can see, Ya'rub is marked as being born ca -794 (which doesn't sound too incredible), but his father Joktan . is marked as born in -2246, 1450 years earlier.

A jump like this probably means that the numbers come from two different traditions, but this is a disrepancy that's likely to have attracted the attention of earlier scholars (medieval ones in particular were fond of counting).

It would be nice to have some references for the year-of-birth estimates.

9/27/2015 at 11:48 PM

Some problems here. See Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarab

This Ya-rub should be the great grandson of Ishmael but he's been merged with the Yarrob who was son of Joktan.

9/28/2015 at 12:44 AM

Tagging Henn Sarv....

9/29/2015 at 12:58 AM

I reversed the latest merge between two Ya'rubs. But they both remain sons of Joktan - the merge might not have been the one that created the problem.

Justin Durand can you move one of them?

10/1/2015 at 11:54 PM

Too much work, Harald. I don't have the easy familiarity with these lines that I have with some. Once we get away from the Bible, I can't tell which are supported by a later tradition and which are outright fakes.

In this family, Keturah, Ya'rub, Seir the Horite, and Buqayin all give me pause. I don't want to start slashing the Biblical tree but I doubt they belong here. There appears to be a tradition that equates Qahtan with Joktan but I don't think it's supportable chronologically.

I found a duplicate line from Ya'rub to Ishmael, and MP'd part of that rather than trying to disentangle here. Also I remerged the profiles you un-merged. Best to deal with this as a unit.

Let's get Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן to take a look.

This part of the tree is an endless tangle. :(

I cut the line to Keturah.

I have no problem with the tradition that equates Qahtan with Joktan, but that DOES require a cut past that point.

What I would REALLY like is for some Muslim to help me SOURCE these traditions.

Private User
10/26/2015 at 2:10 AM

Private User would you know anything about this?

Private User
10/26/2015 at 4:54 AM

The wiki pages have been redacted and rewritten recently.

Among arab tribes, contrary to wiki, there is a well-known distinction between "original Arabs" and "Arabized Arabs". "Pure arabs" (Qhatani )have a tradition that they descend from Noach (Nuh), while the Adnani Arabs descend from Isma'il. This represents the old pagan tribes (Qhatani) of pre-islamic period in contradistinction to 'tribes with traditions that ostensibly originate from Isma'il, son of "Abraham Aveinu" (Adnani).

Wikipedia has recently been altered to unify Qhatani and Adnani Arabs.

Quranic genealogies are nearly impossible to reconcile with Torah genealogies because Quranic genealogy is based upon two distinct groups unified under Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Regardless, the objective in leaving it a confused mess was to await a genealogist with intimate knowledge to straighten out the genealogies in question. The last thing Muslims want, in general terms, is a Jew telling them what their ancient history looks like. Rehan Allawalah has historically been the "go to" genealogist in this area.

A few years ago I added the Qhatani tree with pretty good precision according to the texts. What I found is that the Qhatani tree is composed of a mixture of tribal ruling periods and individual lifetimes. The farther back in time, the more tribal the genealogies become. That was my experience with it. I do not know the historicity of this tribal groups..but I am capable of drawing some sensible guesses to distributes the lineages back to their beginnings (Noach and Isma'il) respectively.

I think I can fix it if that's what is under discussion here.

I hope that helps.

J

Private User
10/27/2015 at 11:52 PM

Private User, does thies means you can insert more then the current six generatinons from Ya´rub to Noah, then this is what is being asked for.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion