Joris Jansen Rapalje - Alternate pedigree as stated in a 1984 book by Joan McGee

Started by Private User on Wednesday, November 11, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Map of the county Buren, Atlas Maior 1665 © Wikimedia Commons, PDM
    Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
Map of the county Buren, Atlas Maior 1665 © Wikimedia Commons, PDM
Private User
11/11/2015 at 4:43 AM

https://books.google.com/books?id=PR4_7DrODjoC&pg=PA128&lpg...

Read the beginning of Chapter 7 starting on page 123....
Basically, according to McGee:
1) Gaspard Colet de Rapalje (b. 1505) married the daughter of Victor Antonie Janssen, who was a HOUSE painter.
2) the issue of this union: 3 children. The second was Abram who married the daughter of Hans Lodewyck
3) Abram had 3 sons (all emigrated to America #1 was Willem Janssen de Rapalje #2 was Joris # 3 was Antonie

Joris is the husband of Catalyntje Trico....

All this sounds plausible.... But, I like to check Joan McGee's sources.
I winder if Willem is now remembered by the surname Janssen?

Private User
11/11/2015 at 6:31 AM

Of course, the largest problem with the McGee tree is that our Joris' father is a "Jan".... not an Abram... If McGee were correct, we;d see more references to a Joris Abramse de Rapalje...

11/11/2015 at 8:09 AM

Michael - there's a spurious (deliberate fraud) pedigree for the Rapalje's. I'll dig up the (scathing) deconstruction of it for you. Unfortunately this 1984 book sounds like it's relying on it.

11/11/2015 at 8:22 AM
11/11/2015 at 8:25 AM

- the 3rd child & fictionally a brother of Joris Jansen was cobbled from the legend of

Antony Jansen “du Turck” van Salee

Which is pretty amazing considering Antony's "other" myths ... Including his African origins, which was known by his contemporaries.

Private User
12/6/2015 at 4:49 AM

I purchased the Joan McGee book expecting to see that it reflects the spurious work of others. It does.

Yet, Chapter 7 is devoted to one of the Loyalist lines that left NY in the 1780. If anyone is interested in this subject I have just added some profiles.
Abraham A. Rapalje
and his descendants in Canada... such as
Winifred Maria Perley
who lived until 1908.
The author, McGee, writes an interesting book here.

There is also a chapter on an even more prominent Loyalist figure.... a de Peyster:
Arent Schuyler De Peyster, Lieutenant-Colonel

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion