Malcolm (of Ross) Ross - Sources?

Начала Sharon Doubell четверг, 31 декабря 2015
Показаны все сообщения (3)
31.12.2015 в 7:21 до полудня

What sources validate Malcolm (of Ross) Ross as the son of Malcolm MacAlaxandair? Thanks

Частный профиль
31.12.2015 в 11:16 до полудня

I think this is a bogus profile to force a link between Ferchar mac in tSagairt and earlier holder(s) of the title. Ferchar did not *inherit* the Earldom of Ross from anyone - he was *given* it by a grateful King Alexander II some time after he crushed a revolt by the MacWilliams and MacHeths (possibly abetted by forces from Argyll and the Isles) and sent the heads of the leaders to the king.

The descent of the Earldom went thusly:

Ferquhard, Earl of Ross (died 1249)
William, Earl of Ross (died 1274) son
William, Earl of Ross (died 1323) son
Hugh, Earl of Ross (died 1333) son (From who descend the chiefs of Clan Ross).
William, Earl of Ross (died 1372) son
Euphemia, Countess of Ross (died c. 1394) daughter
Married Sir Walter Leslie

Leslie earls:
Alexander Leslie, Earl of Ross (died 1402) son of Sir Walter and Euphemia I
Euphemia Leslie, Countess of Ross (died c. 1424) (resigned c. 1415) only child of Alexander Leslie - resigned in favor of

John Stewart, Earl of Buchan (Euphemia Leslie's second cousin) (died 1424)

Title claimed by

Mariota, Countess of Ross (died c. 1429) (sister of Alexander Leslie, Earl of Ross) and husband Donald, Lord of the Isles

Title claimed by

Alexander, Lord of the Isles, Earl of Ross (died 1448) son of Mariota and Donald
John II, Lord of the Isles, Earl of Ross (died c. 1498) (forfeited 1476) son of Alexander and Elizabeth Seton - no surviving legitimate offspring

Thereafter the title was tied to the Crown and handed out occasionally to particular members of the Royal family (the last one was Charles I of England and Scotland, 1600-1649).

1.1.2016 в 5:41 до полудня

Thanks Maven. I'm going to disconnect Fearchar Mac an t-Sagairt, Earl of Ross from this profile (Malcolm (of Ross) Ross) as his father, then.
And remove Malcolm (of Ross) Ross from the tree.

Показаны все сообщения (3)

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении