Robert I the Bruce, King of Scots - Robert the Bruce DNA ALSO Conflict with death Date

Started by Private User on Sunday, March 19, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 40 posts
Private User
3/19/2017 at 4:12 PM

Robert the Bruce has a Unique DNA Marker ,The marker, known as ZZ52, is only found in men and the team behind the project believe there are many more living with the link in Scotland and abroad.
http://www.thenational.scot/news/14903229.Grandfather___s_royal_roo...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3612966/Are-descenda...

Notice death date in the Articles of 1406

Private User
3/19/2017 at 4:30 PM

the Article info could be Wrong just wanted to point it out maybe a Generation is Missing in the Tree the second link above shows the King from Brave Heart Movie but William Wallace died 1305

Private User
4/6/2017 at 4:38 AM

Thank you, interesting read!

Private User
4/6/2017 at 9:15 AM

I agree Saga, interesting article. Robert the Bruce is a Great Grandfather as well as Sir William Wallace (up until several months ago anyway) Someone fiddled with his family tree and now he's showing up as a 1st cousin, LOL.

Private
4/7/2017 at 9:59 PM

Really interesting article by the way! Robert Bruce is my 20th great grandfather. Just like the man in the article I had a strange feeling that there was royalty down the line but I couldn't prove it. It was until I did genealogy research on steroids that I was able to find a noble link thanks to a rear surname my ancestor had. My granddad who is still alive had red hair when he was young and he is left handed. I dont know my granddads bloodtype, but his sister was rh negative which is said to be common with royalty.

Hey Arthur dont worry....... William is still your great grandfather. Its just his blood relatives such as siblings, cousins, aunties and uncles are also your ancestors too. If you can remember one of your ancestors in the line that traces back to William what you can do is pin one your ancestors and then go to Williams page to see how they are related.

Hey Allan maybe start a website or blog and put your family tree on it so people wont interfere with it, and also you probably know the stories and tales of your family better than others. I definitely agree with you about Wikipedia its the worse source to use! People who use it in academia will be marked down for using it, because everyone will change something on the site lol! When I reference genealogy I mostly use clan genealogy books, ancestry, family search, and the peerage.

Private User
4/13/2017 at 6:08 AM

If a person of the sure name Bruce did there Tree , made sure that there is no errors in the Paper Trail that Might fit that classic Line, Locations fitting every ancestor ect and they do a big YDNA test such as YDNA 67 or YDNA 111 and do SNP Testing also, the individule can not only Join the Bruce surname DNA Group but other DNA Groups to match SNP'S with Locations and Time Frames to further Prove the Line.
There are YDNA Groups such as
Englan Great Brittan Norman
Border Reivers
Normandy YDNA
Just to name a few, I belong to These and i have just been informed from the GB Norman Group That Ayshire Scotland Rightfully Belongs to Me, Now im working on a Norman Conquest LOL in the Normandy YDNA Group.

Private User
4/13/2017 at 7:54 AM

thats interesting , that makes my father a ninth cousin direct blood line, 21 times removed from him

Private User
4/13/2017 at 7:55 AM

atm!!! today :D

Private User
5/24/2017 at 7:48 PM

How accurate is the DNA test? Did the test Robert I the Bruce's DNA to find the marker? I am his 21st Great Granddaughter on my mother's side, and also his 23rd Great Granddaughter on my father's side. (My Mom and Dad's family intertwine a few times). I have a son, and wonder if he would have the marker? Or is the the marker a fallacy based on false evidence?

Private User
5/27/2017 at 11:43 AM

Ruth, Y-DNA goes from father to son ONLY. This is because it is carried on the Y chromosome, which is what determines that a child is male and not female. If you don't have a solid male-to-male-to-male line of descent, it won't prove anything (and ONE female interruption, or ONE Non-Parental Event, is enough to break the line).

I haven't heard that they dug up ol' Robert the Bruce to do a direct sample, so probably the results come from claimed male-line descendants. The case of Richard III v. the Somersets shows that this is totally dependent on there having been NO hanky-panky in the descent line (the Somersets had one known recent case of "cuckoo in the nest" and places where there might have been more).

Refresher: a direct sample of Richard III's Y-DNA indicated membership in haplogroup G (details not disclosed). Four Somerset descendants belonged to group R, and one to group I (the "cuckoo" line). They *should* all have matched, but they don't, and the most that Y-DNA can conclusively show is that four Somersets had the same common ancestor: Henry Somerset, 5th Duke of Beaufort (1744–1803).

Speculations regarding the claim of the present Royal family to the throne are pointless, as *their* claim runs through Sophia of Hanover. :-)

Private User
5/27/2017 at 3:35 PM

Thank you Ms. Maven Helms! You gave very good and thorough information. :)

5/28/2017 at 8:00 PM

Notice this "news" is about a year old now and it's about Robert III (Stewart) not Robert I (Bruce).

The Stewart DNA project at FTDNA explains the results this way:

"Apri1 2016. Marker for male line descendants of King Robert III (1337-1406):
The results of the Big Y test for a documented male line descendant of Sir John Stewart of Blackhall & Ardgowan, d. c.1412, an illegitimate son of King Robert III, have now been received and analysed. Alex Williamson, author of The Big Tree http://www.ytree.net/ has identified a new SNP carried by this individual, which has been given the name ZZ52. Our two other Big Y test results, that is one for Earl Castle Stewart, a descendant of Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany, and the other for a documented descendant of Sir John Stewart, Sheriff of Bute, do not carry this SNP. Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany, and Sir John Stewart, Sheriff of Bute are both brothers of King Robert III. This means that ZZ52 must have occurred in Robert III or one of his male line descendants. In other words, ZZ52 is a distinct marker identifying descendants of Robert III. He may also have descendants who do not carry this, since the generation in which the mutation took place is not yet known."

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/stewart/about/news

Private User
6/12/2017 at 12:32 PM

Thanks for all the information :)

Private User
2/12/2018 at 4:49 PM

This is so very confusing, but am trying to understand. One of the things I am finding is multiple Robert the Bruce's on Geni. How do you tell which one is right or are they all right?

2/12/2018 at 5:00 PM

I am actually in the process of cleaning them up now. Check back in a few days.

But it’s the Master Profile you want to pay attention to.

Private User
2/12/2018 at 7:47 PM

I'm still very new to this. Could you tell me how I can tell what a master profile is. Thank you.

2/12/2018 at 8:18 PM

Yes.

Here is the profile for Robert the Bruce, tagged in this discussion: Robert I the Bruce, King of Scots

At the end of the name you can see a little box with MP in it. That means that this is the Master Profile. There should be only one — hence me cleaning them up — but this is the main one, should things get out of hand

There are various reasons we Master profiles. Here is a link to the subject in Geni Help (the Help link at the bottom of the page) https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229704047-What-is-a-Master-...

4/3/2018 at 8:07 PM

Robert the Bruce is my 19th great grandfather by my paternal grandmothera side.

4/5/2018 at 7:07 AM

My 13th great grandfather Campbell married Roberts grand daughter. She's my 13th great grandmother.

I'm more excited about my Campbell grandfathers though

Robert I the Bruce, King of Scots is your second cousin 23 times removed.
You
→ Frances Mary (Dymock) CHRISTOPHE
your mother → Peter Mervyn DYMOCK
her father → Jasper Thomas DYMOCK
his father → Thomas DYMOCK/ DYMOKE
his father → John DYMOCK/ DYMOKE
his father → Edward DYMOCK/ DYMOKE
his father → William DYMOCK/ DYMOKE
his father → William DYMOCK/ DYMOKE
his father → Edward DYMOCK, of Willington & Penley
his father → Randle (Dymocke) DYMOCK
his father → Annes BRERETON
his mother → Randle BRERETON, of Ipstone and Malpas
her father → Alice DE IPSTONE
his mother → Maud (Matilda) DE SWYNNERTON
her mother → Elizabeth (Beke) SWYNNERTON
her mother → Jane DE STAFFORD, Baroness of Cherleton
her mother → Margaret DE AUDLEY, Countess of Stafford
her mother → Margaret de Clare, Countess of Gloucester
her mother → Gilbert de Clare, 7th Earl of Gloucester
her father → Richard de Clare, 6th Earl of Gloucester
his father → Isabel DE CLARE
his sister → Robert de Bruce, 6th Lord of Annandale
her son → Robert I the Bruce, King of Scots
his son

10/19/2018 at 5:17 AM

Robert the Bruce's my 25th great-grandfather. And I'm very proud of it just like I bet you all are. But it's also my dad's twin. Believe It or Not statue that they have of him I put them side-by-side with my father and it's exactly him I know it's probably hard to believe and I don't know if you could post pictures in these comments I don't think you can but if anybody's interested let me know post them.

Private User
10/20/2018 at 7:49 AM

Catherine, there are only so many possible forms and placements for eyes, nose, mouth, etc., so it shouldn't be all that surprising when somebody "looks like" somebody famous. (This used to be a sometime feature in movie magazines, finding "lookalikes" to well-known movie stars.) This is sometimes called the "Twelve (or other number) Standard Faces" factor.

The degree of likeness can be enhanced by hair style, clothing, etc. I've met people in the SCA who looked as though they just stepped out of a specific Renaissance-era painting - partially because they were "dressing the part".

Regarding The Bruce, we don't know *exactly* what he looked like, and most extant images are highly idealized - which means highly stylized, allowing for more possible "matches" in looks.

11/11/2018 at 4:23 PM

Robert I the Bruce, King of Scots is your 21st great grandfather.
Jerry
→ Oliver Prater
your father → William Prater
his father → Adam Farris Prater
his father → Adam Prater
his father → William B. Prater
his father → Jonathan Prater
his father → Thomas Prather
his father → Jane Prater
his mother → Jane P Mullikin
her mother → Lyle Jane Prather
her mother → Sir Robert Richard McKay
her father → Donald HUgh Mackay
his father → Donald Mackay, 1st of Scourie
his father → Iye Du MacKay, of Strathnaver,
his father → Helen Sinclair, Lady Ogilvy of Airlie
his mother → Henry Sinclair, 3rd Lord Sinclair
her father → Christian Leslie, Countess of Orkney
his mother → Christina Halyburton
her mother → Lady Isobel Stewart
her mother → Robert Stewart, 1st Duke of Albany
her father → Robert II, King of Scots
his father → Marjorie Bruce, Princess of Scotland
his mother → Robert I the Bruce, King of Scots
her father show short path | share this path

Roibert a Briuis, Rìgh Alba MP
Birth: July 11, 1274
Turnberry Castle, Ayrshire, Scotland, (Present UK)
Death: June 07, 1329 (54)
Manor of Cardross, Dumbartonshire, Scotland, (Present UK) ("An unclean ailment" - traditionally ascribed to leprosy.)
Place of Burial: Body in Dunfermline Abbey (Dunfermline, Fifeshire), Heart in Melrose Abbey (Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scottish Borders), Scotland, United Kingdom
Immediate Family:
Son of Robert de Bruce, 6th Lord of Annandale and Marjorie, Countess of Carrick
Husband of Marjory Bruce; Isabella of Mar and Elizabeth de Burgh, Queen of Scots
Father of Sir Robert Bruce; Margaret Bruce; Christina de Brus; Walter de Brus; Niall Bruce, of Carrick; Katherine Lindsy; Marjorie Bruce, Princess of Scotland; Isabel (Stewart) Haliburton; Maud Bruce; Margaret Bruce; Elizabeth de Bruce; David II, king of Scots and John Bruce « less
Brother of Isobel de Bruce, dronning av Norge; Christina Bruce; Matilda (Maud) Le Chaundeler; Neil Bruce, of Annandale; Edward de Bruce, Earl of Carrick; Mary Bruce; Matilda (Maud) Bruce; Margaret Brus de Carlyle; Sir Thomas Bruce, of Annandale; Alexander de Brus, Dean Of Glasgow; Elizabeth de Bruce, Lady; Lena de Brus; John Bruce and Walter de Isaac « less
Half brother of Isobel Randolph and Isabel? du Kilconquhar, married Sir Thomas Randolph

Private User
3/6/2019 at 9:44 PM

How do you know your exact lineage to Robert Bruce. Is there a fast way of doing it? I’ve been working on my family tree in ancestry.com for 6 weeks and I can’t figure out the link after they migrated to the U.S.

Private User
3/7/2019 at 1:17 AM

search for a paper Trail.at least two

Private User
3/7/2019 at 1:19 AM

Which is difficult, as Registered 1855 Births in Scotland , are difficult to find, as most of Scotlands History vanished into the sea ,on board a boat carrying them back to Ascotland from England

Private User
3/7/2019 at 2:57 AM

So Sorry i meant 1555 :)

Private User
3/8/2019 at 10:05 AM

Jerry Prater
How were you able to create this.... (see below). Is it a function in Geni? Sorry I am new to this site.

your father → William Prater
his father → Adam Farris Prater
his father → Adam Prater
his father → William B. Prater
his father → Jonathan Prater
his father → Thomas Prather
his father → Jane Prater
his mother → Jane P Mullikin
her mother → Lyle Jane Prather
her mother → Sir Robert Richard McKay
her father → Donald HUgh Mackay
his father → Donald Mackay, 1st of Scourie