Eithne / Audna Cearbhalsdatter Kjarvalsdatter, Princess of Ireland - Aude/ Eithne crossed lines

Started by Sharon Doubell on Saturday, October 6, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 4 posts
10/6/2018 at 12:47 PM

Worth keeping a record of all the possible ways this story could have got mashed:

Guðbjörn Ívar Kjartansson says: Hi Sharon i stumbled upon this while trying to find information about Audna who is said to be the daughter ( or decendant of cearball) (Eithne / Audna Kjarvalsdatter, Princess of Ireland):

http://oneillclans.com/11-history/culture/120-famous-oneills-flann-...

There it says that Flann Sinna( son of Máel Sechnaill O'Neill mac Máele Ruanaid, High King of Ireland) married a Eithna, daughter of áed findliath. Áed findlaith was married to Lann INgen Dúngail, sister of Cerbhall mac dunghal... Wbr Ivar

10/6/2018 at 12:56 PM

I love these old histories of Scotland and Ireland :-)

Not the same Eithne, though - different era:

a) AEDH Finnliath (-Druimm Inasclainn 20 Nov 879). Aedh & his first wife had two children:
i) daughter .
ii) EITHNE (-916). (Eithne ingen Áeda) The Fragmentary Annals of Ireland record that in [869] "the Laigin drove away one of their chieftains…for he was of the stock of the Ciarraigne Luachra", that "came with his followers to the king of Ireland" who married him to "his daughter Eithne"[131]. The Annals of the Four Masters record the death in 916 of “Eithne daughter of Aedh son of Niall, queen of the men of Breagh…on the festival day of St Martin”[132]. m ([869]) --.
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/IRELAND.htm#AedhFinnliathdied879.

Probably a name mix-up because her NN sister is supposed to have married Ólafur "Hvíti" "The White" Ingjaldsson, King of Dublin who - in another tradition - married Auðr the Deep-Minded

ie:
Olof "Hviti" Ingjaldsson, King of Ireland.
Spouse according to Icelandic legend: Aud (Unn) "Deep Minded" Ketilsdatter / according to Irish legend: a daughter of Áed Findliath (High King of Ireland)

10/6/2018 at 1:00 PM

Guðbjörn Ívar Kjartansson says Hi again. I just noticed that Hlodvir Thorfinnsson, Earl of Orkney, the husband of Eithne / Audna Kjarvalsdatter, Princess of Ireland is Cerbhall mac Dúnlainge, king of Osraige in Ireland 's Third great grandson

→ Cerbhall Mac Dungal
→ Rafertach ingen Cearbhaill
→ Þuríður Eyvindardóttur
→ Gróa Þorsteinsdóttir, of Caithness
→ Grelod Duncansdatter
→ Hlodvir Thorfinnsson, earl of Orkney

10/6/2018 at 1:04 PM

And Hlodvir Thorfinnsson, Earl of Orkney, the husband of Eithne / Audna Kjarvalsdatter, Princess of Ireland is also the granddson of Auðr the Deep-Minded

→ Auðr the Deep-Minded
→ Thorstein "the Red" Olafsson
→ Gróa Þorsteinsdóttir, of Caithness
→ Grelod Duncansdatter
→ Hlodvir Thorfinnsson, earl of Orkney

Do you think their storytelling lines got crossed much?! :-)

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion