Keziah Coleman (Faulk) - Need a curator please and thank you

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 on Friday, November 27, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 144 posts
11/27/2020 at 9:23 AM

https://revwarapps.org/r2162.pdf
Mentions a Theophilus Coleman and widow Kisiah... is this them?

Did this Kiziah marry Theophilus AND Dempsey? Or have I made a bad merge?

11/27/2020 at 9:47 AM

Well, Geni shows Keziah Faulk as married to both Theophilus and Dempsey, but I don't know if that's correct. Theophilus' About section doesn't mention him having but one wife - Abigail.

Keziah and Dempsey are my 4th great-grandparents and I've never seen her married to anyone but Dempsey. I'm from their daughter Keziah (Coleman) Jernigan.

My guess is that's a bad merge / connection since there is nothing in their profiles addressing Keziah Faulk having married both men.

11/27/2020 at 9:50 AM

Her Find-a-Grave memorial only lists her as having been married to Dempsey:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/128405868/kiziah-coleman

11/27/2020 at 9:57 AM

It's always disappointing how skimpy some Find-a-Grave memorial info is. Hers doesn't list all her children, because her daughter Keziah Coleman Jernigan isn't listed. I contact memorial managers when I find errors and give them information but never know if they make the changes. In any case, I'll message the manager on her profile about the incomplete list of children.

11/27/2020 at 10:06 AM

Oh! This is in Keziah (Coleman) Jernigan's About section:

Parents of the Jernigan girls were Stephen and Keziah Jernigan. It is said that Keziah was a well-known name among Cherokee Indians; also, that Keziah Jernigan was an auburn-haired beauty and one-half Indian.

This is referring to Keziah who was daughter of Keziah (Faulk) Coleman. The Jernigans I grew up with had the auburn hair as mentioned. I had never heard of Cherokee in the line, so not sure how that family tradition started. I was told years ago that the Coleman line has Lumbee in it, but I haven't identified it so far. What I do know is that she is Cheraw on the Jernigan side but that's too far back to account for her being 1/2 indian:;

https://www.geni.com/path/Keziah-Jernigan-Coleman+is+related+to+Tho...

So, there is possibly NA yet to be identified in the Coleman line or the estimation of how much NA Keziah (Coleman) Jernigan was is just a family story.

11/27/2020 at 11:19 AM

Debbie Gambrell, can you possibly look at some of the Smart Matches as well?

There is a Kiziah who married Theophilus. I ran into them just today and will have to dig deeper but there are public trees with them both as daughter of this couple so I need to look further...

Theophilus Coleman is a curated profile... I had adopted a profile for Theopholus Coleman, Jr. and have ended up HERE today because of a merge for Allie Strickland after being contacted about the Y DNA for Strickland... many abandoned profiles and inactive managers/Geni users...
When I merged Allie, there was an extra mother from the other profile... Kiziah. So she is who I need to figure out with help...
Can you see the revisions?: Allie Strickland#/tab/revision

11/27/2020 at 11:20 AM

I may need a curator to weigh in... to sort the two families. I am seeing two sets of children but little or no sources.

11/27/2020 at 11:21 AM

So Kiziah who married Thomas and Keziah who married Dempsey

11/27/2020 at 11:21 AM

I'll be back... I have a 2 pm appointment

11/27/2020 at 11:39 AM

Cynthia, I don't have access to the Smart Matches any more. Not sure why, but when I try to view them it wants me to pay My Heritage. Keziah was a common name in that era, so same-name people can be very confusing.

It was Theophilis, not Thomas, and Dempsey who both have a wife named Keziah. I only have info on my direct line in that mix, not Theophilis' line.

I'll check that Strickland profile's revisions and get back to you.

11/27/2020 at 11:48 AM

I'm Googling about Theophilis and 'so far' none of the sites have a maiden name for his wife Keziah, so that seems to be where the problem is...his Keziah isn't Keziah Faulk who was married to Dempsey Coleman.

This is a pretty thorough genealogy on the entire Coleman line and it has no maiden name for the Keziah married to Theophilis:

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nansemondcolemans/c06mosesnc.htm

Notice their marriage info at the link above when opened up, shows no maiden name:

Coleman, Theophilus (185) b. 1761, d. 1845, m. Keziah

BUT, it does give his birth and death dates which are different that what's on his profile. I'm not going to correct that since he's not my direct. I tend to leave such corrections to curators and/or direct descendants.

Nor does this one show his wife's maiden name:: https://www.genealogieonline.nl/en/genealogie-wylie/I56792.php

I don't have a membership to Fold 3, but there is a document showing Theophilis' wife as Keziah but no maiden name:

https://www.fold3.com/document/12743503/

11/27/2020 at 11:50 AM

I'm not sure what I was looking for on the Strickland revisions. It shows her as my 4th great aunt though and I'm sure I'd be related to her husband on the Strickland lines as well. Don't know anything about that couple though.

11/27/2020 at 12:00 PM

The interesting thing, to me, is Theophilis is shown here on Geni with 3 wives but everything I've pulled up on him just shows the wife Keziah (no maiden name). Going back and reading about his wife Abigail, in the profile notes, I think she's incorrectly connected to him. I say that because it says this:

A Patriot of the American Revolution for NORTH CAROLINA with the rank of LIEUTENANT. DAR Ancestor # A024356

MRS. ABIGAIL COLEMAN, whose maiden name was Robertson, was born in Surry county, North Carolina, and was married there to Theophilus Coleman, who was born in Virginia. They had four children in North Carolina. Mr. Coleman became a soldier in the war with England in 1812. He never returned, and his family never knew his fate. Mrs. Coleman with her four children, moved, in 1815, to Cumberland county, Kentucky, and to Sangamon county, Illinois; arrived in the fall of 1820, on Richland creek, in what is now Salisbury township. pg 101 of History of Sangamon Co., Ill.

HOWEVER, in Fold3 it's Keziah (no maiden name) who filed for his widow's pension, not this Abigail. So, that seems to clearly indicate to me that Theophilis was married to Keziah when he died in the American Revolution and that's why she was eligible for his pension. If he was married to Abigail who didn't know what happened to him and who didn't apply for his widow's pension, he would have had to have been living a double life! So I think Keziah and Abigail were married to two different men.

As for Aidy Coleman (Jernigan), her profile shows no parents or children for her but I Googled and found this info which indicates she's not a wife of this particular Theophilis but another one. I have found 4 different Theophilis Colemans so far:

Descendants of Robert Coleman of Nansemond County ...
sites.rootsweb.com › ~nansemondcolemans › fairbluff
Theophilus Coleman was born 05/02/1761 [Page 7.jpg] in Edgecombe County, ... Theophilus Coleman, b. c1802 wife: Aidy (Ada Jernigan)

11/27/2020 at 12:02 PM

So here's my conclusion at this point:

1) THIS Theophilis was only married to Keziah 'maiden name unknown' who was NOT the same as Keziah Faulk who was married to Dempsey Coleman.

2) THIS Theophlis didn't have a wife named Abigail who didn't know what happened to him in the Revolutionary War because Keziah (unknown) filed as his widow for his pension.

3) Aidy Coleman (Jernigan) was not the wife of THIS Theophilis

11/27/2020 at 12:08 PM

Further, here is info on Abigail Robertson Coleman and her Theophilis. The dates and other info don't fit to be the same man as married to Keziah (Unknown):

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/LHTV-Y9B/theophilus-coleman-j...

This at least sorts out which of the attached children were Abigails:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/18366332/abigail-hamilton

The only child I ever concerned myself with in the mix was a child of Dempsey Coleman and Keziah Faulk, so I have never been familiar with any of these other connections. My Keziah has been erroneously connected to this Theophilis.

11/27/2020 at 12:23 PM

Links with info on Keziah (Faulk) Coleman

I can't validate all these children, only ever traced my direct line:

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nansemondcolemans/nameindex.htm#I292

Coleman, Dempsey (189) b. c1778, d. 1823, m Keziah Faulk

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Faulk-617

BTW, my Keziah Faulk Coleman is buried: Sylvarena, Smith County, Mississippi, USA - in case that helps sort that other Keziah out. Her actual date of death seems unknown. It's not listed on her Find-a-Grave page and I found nothing validating the dod listed on her profile here. Her Find-a-Grave page says: Kiziah was alive at the time of the 1860 census but had died by 1870. So I don't know if the dod on this profile is possibly for the Keziah (unknown) who married Theophilis, which would be another indication of two different Keziahs as well.

11/27/2020 at 3:43 PM

Ok. I will make a separate profile...

11/27/2020 at 6:04 PM

I will return to it tomorrow morning! Thank you so much!

3/2/2023 at 8:23 AM

These go to my Boykin and Joyner in the relationship treks.

3/2/2023 at 8:24 AM

Just to answer myself from two years ago, it is a GOOD merge but I still don't know who Theophilus is :)
See new Discussion.

Private User
3/2/2023 at 9:29 AM

I added this as a source, because it confirms information in Dempsey's will (a nice family group sheet). Not sure if it says anything about Dempseys parents though.

https://studylib.net/doc/7411895/descendants-of-robert-coleman-of-n...

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000192348288823

3/2/2023 at 9:33 AM

Oh Private User ! Cool--- I see Theophilus

3/2/2023 at 9:34 AM

Different dates from the patriot.
Gonna take some adding of profiles to the Big Tree to get them in a family group and differentiated I think

3/2/2023 at 9:36 AM

Wait-- here's one who is 1. John Coleman, b. 1760 "based on brother, Theophilus"

3/2/2023 at 9:37 AM

THAT would be the date range

3/2/2023 at 9:37 AM

Per his will dated May 25, 1799 [Campbell, Wanda S., 1962],their children were:Sons:(184) 1. John Coleman, b. c1760 [based on brother, Theophilus].(185) 2. Theophilus Coleman, b. 1761, d. 1845, m. Keziah[Roper, 1999]left a will in Columbus County NC 9 July 1845 Will Book A p23. [Roper, 1999]Descendants given below from wills of Columbus County, NC.(186) 3. Amos Coleman, married Winnifred[Roper, 1999](187) 4. Phillip Colemanmarried Sarah Stephens[Roper, 1999]Sarah was daughter of William Stephens who was granted land east of Fair Bluff in 1796.William Stephens was son of Barnabas and Charity Brown Stephens of Bladen County, NC.(188) 5. Moses Coleman, III, b. c1765 [based on year of first marriage -25]Moses married first c1790 Treasy Cohoon (mother of his children),Treasy was the daughter of William Cohoon, Sr. andhis wife, Sarah. Treasy had a brother named (85x) William Cohoon, Jr.John Cohoon sold land in Edgecombe County to William Cohoon, Sr.and was probably related to this Cohoon family as well.Moses married 2nd c1809 Mary Unknown, widow ofSimonCahoon [Roper, 1998]Moses III went to Kentucky [Roper, 1999](189) 6. Dempsey Coleman, b. c1778, d. 1823,married Keziah Faulk[Roper, 1999]left a will in Columbus County NC May 1823 Will Book A p48 [Roper, 1999](190) 7. Henry Coleman, b. c1780Daughters:(191) 8. Lucretia Coleman, b. 1783, d. 1840,married William Hemphill[Roper, 1999](192) 9. Charity Coleman, married Elijah Worley[Roper, 1999](193) 10. Polly ColemanRoper adds a daughter Mary, leaving out Polly, suggesting she went byboth names at different times in her life:Daughters married surnames include Stephens, Faulk, Hemphill, and possiblyNorton, Meares, Worley, and Cahoon. [Roper, 1998]

3/2/2023 at 9:38 AM

So indeed this Rev War appl "secondary applicant" would be Keziah ROPER, Keziah Coleman.

Is this Theo the same as the Patriot just Keziah is not noted at DAR?

3/2/2023 at 9:40 AM

Wait. So confusing:
6. Dempsey Coleman, b. c1778, d. 1823,married Keziah Faulk[Roper, 1999]left a will in Columbus County NC May 1823 Will Book A p48 [Roper, 1999](190)

3/2/2023 at 9:40 AM

2. Theophilus Coleman, b. 1761, d. 1845, m. Keziah[Roper, 1999]left a will in Columbus County NC 9 July 1845 Will Book A p23. [Roper, 1999]

Showing 1-30 of 144 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion