Finovola Macdonald - Sources?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Monday, June 27, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
6/27/2022 at 6:31 AM

What sources make Finovola Macdonald a daughter of Alexander MacDonald, 9th Lord of the Isles, 12th Earl of Ross

Neither Cawley, Balour Pall, nor the Clan Donald book by Rev A Macdonald cite her.
On Wikipedia there is no Source given.
Not that it's unlikely; just that we need to source the children if we keep them on the tree

6/27/2022 at 6:32 AM

No, hang on - I found something:
In 1469 Hugh received from his brother, the Earl of Ross, a grant of lands which at once gave him a leading position among the barons of the Isles. This grant consisted of the 30 merklands of Skeir- hough in South Uist, the 12 merklands of Benbecula, and the merkland of Gergryminis, also in Benbecula ; the 2 merklands of Scolpig, the 4 merklands of Tallowmartin, the 6 merklands of Orinsay, the half merkland of Wanylis, all lying in North Uist ; also the 28 merklands of Sleat — all these lands forming part of the lordship of the Isles. Hugh was to hold these lands of the Earl of Ross, and they were entailed on his heirs male, lawfully or unlawfully begotten or to be begotten, between him and Fynvola, daughter of Alexander Macdonald of Ardnamurchan, all of whom failing, to the heirs male of Hugh and any other woman chosen by the advice of the Earl's Council or relations. https://archive.org/details/clandonald03macduoft/page/4/mode/2up?q=...

6/27/2022 at 6:57 AM

No, that's Fynvola Maclain, of Ardnamurchan Removing this Finovola as Alexander's daughter, pending sources.

6/27/2022 at 8:56 PM

Finovola Macdonald Looks exactly like 1st wife of John Sutherland

With the exception that Finvola (daughter of Celestine) marriage to John Sutherland is speculative. I don’t know about the Stewart husband.

6/28/2022 at 12:17 AM

Finovola Macdonald is completely unsourced, so I think merging them just muddies by the waters.

6/28/2022 at 12:24 AM

She's unsourced as the daughter of Alexander MacDonald, 9th Lord of the Isles, 12th Earl of Ross so that's where I removed her.

6/28/2022 at 12:31 AM

from

6/28/2022 at 12:33 AM

OK. I’m just used to merging in the flotsam so it gets out of the database.

6/28/2022 at 12:38 AM

Mostly I regard it as space junk if unattached to anything - delete or not is less important.

But she was originally positioned as a daughter of Alexander - which is the link I disconnected. I left her because she had a husband that I didn't know was invalid (I see you've removed him), so might well have still been going to be flagged as a mergable duplicate, once the parents were removed. IE she might just have been inserted in the wrong place, so I leave it to the managers to mege in correctly if they want to.

6/28/2022 at 12:40 AM

Back to the issue of her being Alexander's daughter. I see no evidence provided for this anywhere. Am I missing something?

6/28/2022 at 3:20 AM

There’s a speculation that has Finovula as a daughter of Alexander

https://ancestorium.com/tng/getperson.php?personID=I025688&tree=1

Her parents here are a guess based on dates. In Burke's Peerage under "SUTHERLAND, Countess of" it says she was daughter or granddaughterr of Archibald/Celestine Macdonald

Which I find bizarre, as that narrative should put her one to two generations below. That’s probably what you kicked her off of before, quite correctly.

It turns out there was a mid 1300’s Finovula Macdonald married to a John Stewart, so that was another time traveling mixup.

There’s a chart with Celestine’s daughters, and I think I saw a legit reference to Finovula sometimes known as Margaret. Yes, here it is.

Fynvola (Margaret) Macdonald of Lochalsh b 1476 m Ewen Allenson

https://ancestorium.com/tng/getperson.php?personID=I013318&tree=1

This girl would be too young to be the Sutherland wife, I think.

(I’ll look for better refs)

6/28/2022 at 4:30 AM

And now I’m thoroughly confused.

Acts of the lords of the Isles, 1336-1493 Page 307. https://digital.nls.uk/scottish-history-society-publications/browse...

(Listing the children of Celestine)

10. Finvola. Had papal dispensation granted in 1465^0.1342) to marry Kennacius Alexandri Kennaci, for whom see Kenneth MacKenzie of Kintail in app. C.

See chart and child notes I added to profile for Celestine Macdonald of Lochalsh

I don’t see how this Finvola could have been married to John Sutherland?

6/28/2022 at 4:45 AM

That would be this Finvola Macdonald

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion