warning! - please stop collaboration

Started by Henn Sarv on Sunday, April 25, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 145 posts

KEs ei tegele rahvusvahelise ja ajaloolise puu korrastamisega, palun ignoreerige seda diskussiooni

Dear friends,

Here is several evidences that one person start to destroy others work in historical part of tree. Anyone who is collaborating ЛАЛЮ ВАСИЛЕВ МЕТЕВ, please exclude from collaborators list to prevent lose of profiles You might manage

Henn

I second this warning

May I know WhY?

what is this guy doing? But since I do not him or of him in my family circle, I will never collaborate with him

I am not seeing any "evidences'. Were there links??

He used to be a collaborator of mine. I cannot find him in my list anymore.

Same here, he must have deleted me - before he could do any more damage I hope.

Never heard of him, but shall make sure I don't collaborate with him if requested.

PLEASE EXPLAIN

I see METEB is still active...just in the past couple of hours he has gotten my cousin in Nederland to collaborate with him. My cousin, Johan Sieswerda, added many Russian nobility to GENI a few years ago as he had been a student of Russian history.

I'm also curious what this person is doing. Is he maliciously changing profiles or deleting them, for example?

1. he rename profiles to only cyrillic (removing any other name forms)
2. he remove any or some backgroung info from profiles
3. he deletes profiles regulary

main interest areas is german, english and nordic nobles somehow bounded to Russia.

One thing he is doing he insert new profiles and merge those to get in list of managers

we have several evidences and those are passed to geni team to make decision

If he was allowed to keep going on like this, Henn, he would destroy the tree, given that all these noble families were linked across the globe. Awful prospect.

He requested a merge from me this morning which is too bad because the tree is a mess. So many tree merges. Here is the merge and Brox is the only one I collaborate with not in yet, 25 yet to go. Don't know if this is what you are referring to.

http://www.geni.com/profile/compare/6000000007283788754

Has anybody at least told him or asked him about the profiles he deletes or renames? Maybe he's just a happy, eager tree-person, and he needs to be told what he's doing is 1) annoying and 2) destructive?

I have a sneaking suspicion he knows exactly - EXACTLY - what he's doing. He obviously can read English, German and Polish (from profiles of my lines I've seen - I'm a manager, but just a recent one), and he sent me a message in English! But he deleted me as collaborator before I could delete him. I wouldn't dream of changing someone else's work! I'm no historian and can't attest to the veracity of any of the ancient lines, but if the dates match and other info matches, I'll merge. If only the newer computer I'm using this week were faster!
@Margaret, the link you sent is part of my family history now too - if I could kick his teeth in I would. At least he hasn't deleted the info from that one. And boy, and I glad I downloaded a big tree and ancestor gedcom last week!

On second thought, maybe he is changing the profiles - the one connected to the above link has a decidedly Russian slant to it..

- should have said the Overview.

He did change it to Russian, but I can understand wanting to do that since the person in the profile is Russian. Just makes it difficult for those of us that don't understand Russian. I thought about going in and changing it back to what I had, but we are all just as "related" to this person, so rights of ownership is a big ridiculous to squabble over.

Oh yes, I can understand that too. But changing names to Cyrillic is pretty unfair for most of us. At first I didn't think he'd changed the info, then realized he had.

I wasn't sure how collaborations affected each of us until I was told that when I changed my view of an ancestor's name, it affected it for all of us. Too bad Geni software can't allow each of us to choose the language and form it appears for each of us regardless of collaboration. I try to use information that is on main profiles. Bjorn Brox is a good example, I know many of us collaborate with him. I had followed a distant cousin's pleadings to change a profile the way it appears and inadvertently erased another's profile in the process. I was so embarrassed. *sigh* Back to the drawing board. Let me know what I can do to prevent this from happening on my end again. I don't wanna become the black sheep.. again!

I do this too, Desiree.....checking out the main profile and usually (unless I have a different spelling from a pretty reliable source, i.e. if a particular way of spelling is uniform across a wide range of old peerages and heraldic sources) go with what is on the main profile. I haven't changed the name Neville, though, although old sources usually give this as Nevill or Nevil....as Neville is such a common usage. I must confess that it took me a while to cotton on to the correct way to deal with merge issues, though...a rocky start!! I do think that it's okay to include Cyrillic, but think that the English should be retained at the same time, even if it's using the nickname fields etc. to do this. And deleting profiles is a no-no, in my humble opinion, unless it's been nutted out with all the other managers first, and a very convincing reason given for wanting to take such drastic action.

LIving: Yes - several people have tried to contact him (I included)
he is ignoring others totally

Henn

Goodmorning everybody!
There is an explanation in the first post of this discussion, but I can add this.
I have since at least the very beginning of this year had some of my profiles constansly changed into cyrillic letters. I change it back to both cyrillic/latin letters but it s constantly changed back. Whitin hours.

In january I corresponded with the person in question (nicknamed Lalu).
I will not publish his correspondence in this forum, but he's of the meaning that as bulgarian is a standard language within the European Commonweath everybody has to accept it. (!!!) He's messages are very angry and unpleasent. To say the least.

To have a lot of profiles in cyrillic only makes it impossible to work with for example "resolving conflicts" as it takes too much time to figure every profile out. Lalu is changing between bulgarian, russian, whiterussian, usbekian, krikiztanian and so on, as a little hoax on as all.
But I don't find it funny - I have other things to do.

Examples of historic proifles with cyrillic letters.
http://www.geni.com/people/%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BA-%D0%BA%D0...
http://www.geni.com/people/%D0%95%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%...

Examples of profiles that lost it's connections (parents, sibling)
Hugues I 'Magnus', Comte de Vermandois
Anna of Kiev, Queen Consort of the Franks

Please do not change them back into latin/cyrillic, it is pointless as they will be changed back before the day is over and I want them to be as they are so helpline at Geni can check them out.

Lalu has since a couple of days blocked me, why I have blocked him back.

It is very sad and timeconsuming to have a conflict like this.
I hope Geni will find a solution son.

Have a beautiful day!
Susanna

Someone already changed Yaroslav the wise back to Latin/english (only, that is not ok either). Interesting to see what happens with that proifle today. Please leave it as it is regardless.

When I looked several hours ago, it was already Latin/English. I've also emailed him, but don't expect a response. Rather, I expect him to do some more changing on the profiles he was able to add himself to.

It is a general problem that people don't respect choices already made on the values of the main profile when resolving data conflicts, especially on a 155-managers profile like this where the selected values was a result of several discussions and a compromise among a lot of the 155 managers of it.

I have kindly asked the person who did it this time to stop doing such things, especially when he is not the main profile manager.

In general I always leave the data conflicts to the primary manager and/or the requester of a merge.

There is a discussion on cyrllic and naming rules here:
http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000008565172387

and very very good solutions "Namning Conventions" here:
http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000007295742137

How annoying! Wouldn't that be considered a form of "internet trolling?"

He IS someone I collaborate with. Should I discontinue this? Please let me know...I respect you all.

Showing 1-30 of 145 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion