for curators: my profile is good enough to be a Master Profile!

Started by Erica Howton on Thursday, October 28, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1-30 of 1795 posts
Private User
10/28/2010 at 12:15 PM

l think this is a great way to preserve your work...

10/28/2010 at 12:20 PM

Reposting:

Please post your URL or LINK to the profile here and we'll give it that designation if we agree.

A description of the "Master Profile" is here:

http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Master_Profile

Jenna,

Yes indeed! What a way to show off your hard work and original research: we designate YOUR copy as the Master Profile. !

I believe in bribery. :) :)

Private User
10/28/2010 at 12:31 PM

My John Stone is found! My John Stone is found!

I still have to insert him in the right place on the tree, but I'll have that fixed up soon... many thanks to Russell Varcoe for salvaging my family's pirate/slave trader/alleged cannibal... yay!

10/28/2010 at 12:33 PM

You have a cannibal?

Collabs are so wonderful, aren't they. I even like the term, it makes me feel all Casablanca inside.

10/28/2010 at 12:34 PM

Ben

Post the URL RIGHT NOW and we need to think about the Pirates Project.

Private User
10/28/2010 at 12:35 PM

LOL Cannibal. I LOVE those kinds of historic stories, gruesome as they sound. Some of my favorite trivia in genealogy has to do with how people die (especially if they were executed and the type of execution), and I like to know their occupations(s).

Congrats on finding your family cannibal pirate!

Private User
10/28/2010 at 12:42 PM

Okay okay... but I think he actually belongs as a brother to William Stone, third Governor of Maryland, not father...

The Notorious Captain John Stone

Private User
10/28/2010 at 12:44 PM
10/28/2010 at 12:44 PM

I'm going to merge up any dups first, then see if we can re-align the generations properly. Stay tuned.

10/28/2010 at 12:47 PM

In New England he developed a reputation amongst the Puritans as "a drunkard, lecher, braggart, bully, and blasphemer." He was called a smuggler, a privateer, even a pirate and it was reported by deVries that he had engaged in cannibalism while shipwrecked on St. Christophers. Stone was in continual legal trouble with both Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay, and was finally banished on penalty of death. Shortly there after he met his own at the hands of the Pequot Indians.

My kind of bad boy!

So his parents were John Stone and ... ? and no wife and children.

Private User
10/28/2010 at 12:49 PM

Another word of warning... there is a John Stone that is father of both governor and cannibal pirate... I think he was a fish-mongerer... just so that there isn't any confusion (that's how he ended up father in the first place)

Private User
10/28/2010 at 12:51 PM

Yep, that sounds like my John the Cannibal Pirate... Mom should be (Unknown) - that way it's more difficult to hijack her spot.

Private User
10/28/2010 at 1:15 PM

Hmmm... first there was the "improvement" of posting notifications on every "followed discussion" item, then there was the declaration of the great flame war... talk about your perfect storm...

Erica: Should I go ahead and do the tree merge on John the Cannibal Pirate where you placed him? And then just transfer the information to the correct profile? -Ben.

Private User
10/28/2010 at 1:20 PM

I'm going to have to verify research on that Katherine profile again... I remember picking it up from someone else's work, and it may not have any sources to back it. (Ah, for the good old days...)

10/28/2010 at 1:24 PM

Ben

I'm doing merges around Cap'n Stone, then breaking off not!parents and divorcing from not!wives and chlidren. Save the URL of anyone you want before they are floated off to the geni ether again.

10/28/2010 at 1:39 PM

Ben,

Your Captain Cannibal is currently disconnected from family:

The Notorious Captain John Stone

So you need to find his Daddy (or make a new one) and hook him up with his brothers.

Private User
10/28/2010 at 3:47 PM

Will work on that... lots of stuff hitting at the same time... he'll be up before midnight though...

Private User
10/29/2010 at 1:41 AM

John Stone and the deluge must wait yet another day... slept most of the night, and still my body is wimping out. Age is a cruel thing...

Private User
11/11/2010 at 1:19 AM

Though no one has touched any of my Jacksons (ahem), I am putting up this one for Master Profiling. She often gets confused in with another Billung's wife, and her identity needs protection.

Princess Adelais of Italy and Lombardia

Private User
11/11/2010 at 5:40 AM

Michael Joseph Jackson

Private User
11/11/2010 at 6:24 AM

Definitely not the same family. We might have passed through Indiana, but came nowhere near Gary...

11/11/2010 at 10:06 AM

Ben,

I'm having a "bad internet connection" day so I was only able to MP two profiles:

Elizabeth Jackson
Princess Adelais of Italy and Lombardia

Elizabeth Jackson of course in honor of "my" Elizabeth Jackson. :) I will try more later and keep posting the links when done.

Private User
11/11/2010 at 10:11 AM

Does this mean you have another Elizabeth floating out there somewhere? Been looking forward to someone connecting in to my Jackson line. So far, all I have floating near it are a bunch of zombies, and of course the people just on the periphery in the Calvert line, maybe a generation away. If the connection gets better, Erica, you could be the first! :)

11/11/2010 at 3:29 PM

Ben,

Jackson family done. Double check in case I missed any.

I also MP'd: Rachel Jackson because I got Barnes. I'm "following" her to see if I can connect her up with mine. Probably not, but you never know.

11/11/2010 at 3:41 PM

Hey Ben,

I checked early on and my "disconnected" Elizabeth Jackson is not yours.

Elizabeth Ross

All I have on my Jacksons is:

- They claimed to be related to Bloody Bloody FitzJaques (no connection point I can see on his tree)

- Her marriage license

- A rumor that she is connected (via census report) to a Rambo family

Now I notice that my Elizabeth Jackson Ross had a daughter, b. 1810 KY, married a Jackson.

Sarah L. Jackson

If you want on a better internet day I'll do an ancestry.com search on great auntie there.

Private User
11/11/2010 at 6:29 PM

About the only match that I could see would be for John, son of John...

John Jackson

Would be about 18 years older than your Sarah L. Ross.

The other Jackson males seem to have been taken, unless of course there were second marriages in there that I hadn't run into.

If Mongomery or Bath Counties figure into your Rosses, there might be something there (the Jackson Kentucky homeland).

11/11/2010 at 8:33 PM

Well a high five to cousin Jackson Angel, because your Rachel Jackson is the granddaughter of Brinsley Barnes (you don't forget a name like that).

I will work on connecting them up properly, but in summary:

Rachel Barnes (1806-1878)
parents: Thomas Barnes (b. 1775, Orange, VA d. 1822, Fayette, KY) and Lucy Ann Wisdom (b. 1776 d. 1860)
parents of Thomas Barnes: Brinsley Barnes (1745-1823) and Lydia Isabella Teague (1750-1810).

Brinsley Barnes

from there we're over the ocean and back to Ireland.

Quakers and well documented.

Private User
11/11/2010 at 11:38 PM

That's very funny that the Barneses were Quakers because the Jacksons were slave-owners and still proud of it even when they reached Indiana (though probably not as proud of it after the Civil War). But then I found it kind of funny that you had Quakers marrying former slave owners in the late 1800s too - and of course I am the merging of a family started by an emancipated slave, and all this Quaker-Slave Owner merges; to me, it's all amusing.

Anyway, of course a high-five to you, cuz... are we still once removed?

Private User
11/11/2010 at 11:47 PM

So are these yours as well?

Thomas Barnes

Malvina Barnes

Showing 1-30 of 1795 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion