Geni Server has slowed to a crawl!!!

Started by Angus Wood-Salomon on Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-120 of 728 posts

Judy, I have a help request filed in regard to photo problems. So far it has been ignored :-(

It's really awful right now. But at least you tried. Hopefully they will finally fix it. It's been going on awhile. Oh, well, just have to live with. I guess!

Tried three times to get same pictures in. I give up for tonight.

I hope so. Supposedly PRO members get priority but the last time I checked, it hadn't been assigned.
They closed out my previous request about the spinner on profile pages never finishing. Said it was resolved but it isn't.

Well, still not working. How do they expect us to put pictures and documents up if Geni won't work correctly?

Managed to get two profile pictures in and after a lot finagling ,one picture into new album but can't get the rest in. People people people you are so much more tect then I but even I know from working on a computer help desk that these things can be fixed in relatively good time.!What goes here? Unless until area is being effected it shouldn't take this long to correct!

Trying to remember how it worked. It's been so long since I worked in that dept. They us have about maybe five agencies to a group . All on one line. If one went down all of them went down, Rarely did all the agencies in the whole country and outside the country go down at once. However it happen on occasion. That took a little longer to fix but it got fixed.I can't remember all the tech jargon for it but I can see it in my mind how it works. You got you lines and cables and coax cable and so on and so on and so on.It can be complicated. But usually it was only like one group of agencies at a time. I figure Geni has been set up something like that. So maybe it's a whole area that's having a problem.Did someone inadvertently kick out a plug or did the Battery room fail what's going on.

We're dealing with some performance degradation caused by (we think) a failing network card on one of our load balancers. I'm in the process of getting that load balancer replaced, but in the meantime we're running on the redundant device and my hope is that this should resolve the upload problems. Have you all had upload problems in the past 24 hours or so?

Well, now I am having trouble getting into my tree. I am so fed up I just might remove as much as I can without hurting anyone else. See what happens over the next few days.

Judy, why do you always threaten to remove things, Just go on to other things and wait out the problem. It takes me as much as five tries or about a half an hour to add a picture right now but it will work eventually, I just switch to another tab and work on something else.
Still havent heard from the help desk tho :-(

It looks like the help desk has slowed to a crawl also. My help request http://help.geni.com/requests/17423 is still waiting assignment after 11 days! Mike Stangel any reason for this? Aren't Pro members supposed to get priority support?

The problem was I could not even pull my tree up. And when I could I would only get pieces of it. You di note I said only removal of profiles that wouldn't hurt anyone else and and basicly the ones that are only important to me and me alone. But it's up again and just did what I said I wouldn't do, put some people back in but only names and no info. Eldon it's called STRESS!!!!!!!! I was getting very Stressed!!!!!!!!!!plus getting very bored!!!!!!!! This 100 or less profiles even tho several years ago I added 100's and they are still there., is very Stressful and basicly ticks me off. I don't think it's fair or very nice to restrict people from doing work on tree they helped add, just because at the moment they can't afford to join.As I understand in order to keep Geni up and running efficiently , Geni needs cash to basicly keep it afloat but it's still degrading to do this to people and a bit discriminatory, far as pictures when it took me three days to add just a couple pictures. Not worth the effort to attempt to enter pictures or documents!!!!!!

Eldon, I checked with Customer Service and they tell me they've responded to your ticket. How large is the photo you're trying to upload? If I were to look at the photos you've uploaded recently, are there any there that took you several attempts?

Well Judy, Ive got a lot of other work done in those 11 days that didn't involve loading anything. I have updated dates, locations etc. Anything I could make look better that I could find data for. Also a lot of sources as that works and a lot of things that could be pasted into the about sections. I am not a typist so I mostly copy from Find a Grave and Family Search. I don't pay for any other sites as I am retired and my income is limited as yours is but I decided to pay Geni and managed to do it.
The point is, there is still a lot of work that can be done even with a Basic membership.

Mike Stangel The last picture was the one here Olivia Thankful Driggs today. This was to replace the pioneer logo. Loading a first picture works fine. It is when you try to load another one that the problems start. On help, it says, or said at 2:30 waiting for assignment and I have heard nothing from the help desk at all.

Eldon the reason that Mormon Pioneers photo is timing out, is because you all have tagged 4,665 profiles to that one photo. I'll make a ticket to optimize the code that's iterating through all tagged profiles.

Mike Stangel The Mormon Pioneer photo is not mine but I am not surprised at the amount of tags. Thanks for the update.

Mike Stangel I just replaced a Mormon Pioneer logo with a picture. About 5 seconds to get to the loader. Thanks for the quick fix

I released a fix already, that should prevent that page from timing out. It's still slow, but not 30-second-timeout slow.

Is anyone else having trouble staying connected to Geni? No matter which browser I use loading pages it's a hit and miss. One minute the page is there and when I click on a profile link I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" and this is only happening on geni pages.

Is anyone else having trouble staying connected to Geni? No matter which browser I use loading pages it's a hit and miss. One minute the page is there and when I click on a profile link I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", or "This webpage is not available" and this is only happening on geni pages.

Is there some downtime going on that I'm not aware of?

Is anyone else having trouble staying connected to Geni? No matter which browser I use loading pages it's a hit and miss. One minute the page is there and when I click on a profile link I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", or "This webpage is not available" and this is only happening on geni pages.

For the last hour, all I was getting was the "Geni will be right back" page. Seems to be working now.

I saw a notice on Geni Facebook page that they were renewing something about projects

I am having that same problem with the Internet. Kicks me out and knocks off half my tool bar , while saying Internet explorer can not connect. Though it was just me. Guess it wasn't !.

Judy, You must have a different problem Geni has been OK since about 7:: a.m. PST.

Showing 91-120 of 728 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion