Geni Server has slowed to a crawl!!!

Started by Angus Wood-Salomon on Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 121-150 of 728 posts

I would guess Geni is having a bandwidth issue, related to the My Heritage merger. It really started to agonizingly crawwwwllllll in the last couple weeks, and the site is particularly unusable in just the past few days.

I have an older Windows XP system, on a dialup. It was no problem for me as of two weeks ago. But now it takes 5-10 minutes to load any page on any click of the mouse, and my bytes received counter says that it has to load 1.5-2 MB of data for each page view before it will display.

Interesting thing is that for the past couple days it seems to clear up completely after 5pm, Pacific time, and then runs fast as normal, just like before. I am guessing that all the office government workers log off from Geni at that point and go home from their day jobs, thus freeing up the bandwidth on Geni servers (and on all newsgroups, Wikipedia, etc. as well).

Anybody else experiencing this Geni slowdown?

Maybe more people are trying to use it at certain times a day.

Maybe more people are trying to use it at certain times a day.

It has been really awful all day today until just about right now. If this keeps up day after day, I am going to have to change my schedule to evenings, or else give it up for the most part.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles. For what it's worth, I've been on pretty much all afternoon and into the evening, and I haven't had any issues. Hopefully it clears up for you soon.

Thanks Ashley. Soemthing definitely changed with Geni, just in the past week or so. My normal page view changes take about 30 seconds, at worst. But I only get that speed now very sporadically.

It's possible also that my IE 8 has some random compatibiltiy issues now with Geni. I do get an occasional random yellow flag "error on page" notice, like this one:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB7.4)
Timestamp: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 01:33:56 UTC

Line: 0
Char: 0
Code: 0
URI: http://assets3.geni.com/javascripts/base_packaged.js?1366838508

Steven, the staff are working on resolving the slowness (it's impacting me as well now). I also directed them to your post here so that they can see your exact error message. You may not get a direct personal reply, but hopefully it'll get the problem resolved. Thanks for hanging in there!

Can't upload any photo!
"ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.
Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront) "

All new Matches icons/symbols are missing in Firefox and Chrome!

Yes, the photo up loaders are both broken. The one from the profile won't do anything. The simple uploader generates an error http://uploads.geni.com/photo_upload/upload/6000000008799729282?cow...

Photo upload works fine now.

Thanks Eldon. Used the link to get a couple of pictures in. Now that reg one is up I will try that again. Judy

It's out again! Oh well!

I jut worked for me also. What a day.

You said it!, Eldon! What a day!

My Momma told me there would be days like this :-(

Are we going Motown now.? Momma said there would be days like this, Days like this, My Momma said!

OK, Try this. If you had children, did you ever read Judith Viorst books to them? I think our Geni day has been like this :-)

From the moment Alexander wakes up, things just don't go Alexander's way. As he gets up, the gum that was in his mouth the night before winds up in his hair. When he gets out of bed, he trips on the skateboard and drops his sweater into the sink while the water was running. At breakfast, Alexander's brothers, Anthony and Nick reach into their cereal boxes and find amazing prizes, while Alexander ends up with cereal.

On the way to school, he doesn't get the window seat in the carpool. At school,[1] his teacher, Mrs. Dickens doesn't like his picture of the invisible castle (which is actually just a blank sheet of paper), criticizes him for singing too loud and leaving out 16. His friend, Paul deserts him for his third best friend and there is no dessert in his lunchbag. At the dentist, Dr. Fields tells Alexander he has a cavity, the elevator door closes on his foot, Anthony pushes him in the mud, Nick says he is a crybaby for crying, and Mum punishes him in the act of punching Nick.

At the shoe store, they're sold out of Alexander's choice of sneakers (blue ones with red stripes), so Mum has to buy him plain white sneakers, which he refuses to wear. At Dad's office, Alexander makes a mess of things when he fools around with everything there (the copying machine, the books, and the telephone) getting to the point where Dad tells him not to pick him up from work anymore.

At home, the family has lima beans for dinner (which he hates), there is kissing on TV (which he also hates), bathtime becomes a nightmare (too much hot water, soap in his eyes, and losing a marble down the drain) and he has to wear his railroad train pyjamas (he hates his railroad train pyjamas). At bedtime, his nightlight burns out, he bites his tongue, Nick takes back a pillow, and the family cat chooses to sleep with Anthony. No wonder Alexander wants to move to Australia. The book ends with Mum's assurance that everybody has bad days, even people who live in Australia

Ok, photo uploads is doing it again. I have been trying for two days to get pictures in. Just managed to get five picyres in. I can't get anythinh else in.SlOOOOWWWWWWWWW. Really Slooooowwwwwwww!!!!!!! Judy

This may not be the appropriate discussion for my issue, but it's the only discussion thread I can access.

Something is seriously wrong with Geni and Flash. I seriously need some ideas here.

I twice downloaded and installed the newest Flash, on my Windows XP. I switched to Mozilla Firefox with version 24 instead of IE8.

Basically what happens to me is that all of a sudden Geni will no longer function, for days on end. I mean, on my home page, it just keeps cycling the pending bars, and never displays any recent activity, after hours of waiting, refreshing, etc.. The Actions button does not respond at all. Anything with a drop down list, like Rsearch, Family, or my account Name just refuses to display anything in a drop down list.

The red messages counter will not drop down and display.

The only clue that I ever get that anything is not normal with Flash is that when I try to access the Tree View, it finally redirects me to a Beta version saying that I do not have Flash installed!

Then from the Beta version screen I can finally open the discussion lists from the red message counter box, but still the only message or discussion I can access is one that is already in my prior recent list, which is why I am here.

I ran ipconfig /flushdns from my run command.

I cleared my cookies, my recent internet files, etc, a number of times. The only thing I have not done is reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Every other web site functions just fine, so it appears that this problem is isolated to Geni.

This issue has been periodically torturing me ever since the merge with My Heritage, and the subsequent new match alerts.

I am not going to hit Post Reply here, and keep my fingers crossed that this message will actually post. HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried Chrome?

I never heard of Judith Viorst!

Well, I am back in, for the time being, after being locked out for the past 24 hours. At the moment I am in on IE8.

And I have not even rebooted in the intermim since I was last locked out here.

No Erica, I have not downloaded Chrome, because I am on a dialup. Not sure that should make a difference though.

I figured that the newest Firefox should be adequate to get around any IE issues.

They still make dialup? Fingers crosses for you ...

Sometimes Tree View is slower than usual...

Well, it has been really great for the past couple weeks, but now it has just reverted to Flash / Java wet concrete sludge, for the past hour +. In fact, the only way I am even able to get ino this discussion now is through a Google search.

I was rolling right along just fine, but then it suddenly crapped out on me in the middle of adding a single profile. I rebooted, checked other web sites, and again, it is just isolated to Geni's Flash / Java, as far as I can tell. The Tree view starts to redirect me to the HTML version, but then it just craps out and does nothing.

So again, I guess I am completely done for the rest of the day, or the weekend, or the week, who even knows.

I´m not sure is it something with Geni servers of flash or something else, but there is a plugin in Firefox that is running in the background and eats all the memory. Physical memory consumption is 85% to 95% and rising up after opening gradually until everything freezes. Some kind of malware maybe? Flash memory consumption is normal i would say.

Completely useless Flash [!!??*&%] sludge again today.

At least I went a whole month this time, before it blew up on me.

Would be nice if software developers would actually develop stuff that actually works, with basic working consistency. Must be because I am using some really obscure OS like Windows XP and uncommon browsers such as Internet Explorer 8 and Mozilla Firefox. Who would expect Geni to work with any of that?

Firefox turns out to be bad news inour case, at my house. Messed up everything.Had a heck o time getting rid of it ,too.

Firefox turns out to be bad news inour case, at my house. Messed up everything.Had a heck o time getting rid of it ,too.

for me the issues is chrome and constant deleation of cookies hense my delete cookies profile photo.. i cam get in with firefox just fine.

Showing 121-150 of 728 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion