Persons who have not been online for a year (Abandoned Trees)

Started by Eldon Lester Clark on Thursday, December 30, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 695 posts

Private User

THANK YOU ISABEL.!!!.That was the best response I've seen in ages. Not only did you tell me WHAT they were and HOW they came to be but WHAT to do about the 'zombies".. I am indebted to you for the explanation..

Private User

ISABEL...

How do I call up " zombies, please"

Fay, you are in the wrong discussion, this is for abandoned profiles/trees, you want
http://www.geni.com/discussions/76010
After you post there, will you please return here and delete this message.
Thank you

If Geni didn't auto-subscribe new members to 4-8 emails per day, they wouldn't switch all contact off or send Geni emails to the spam folder.

So many of my family have hit the roof this Christmas about the volume of crud geni sends them. My sister unsubscribed to all geni emails. I was wondering why she was blocking a merge - She didn't know about it.

This is a major turnoff to new users

Just checked it out..I'm used to it BUT can understand your argument. The response AND unsubscribe are quite close together AND if they are getting LOADS of notices of mergesand get flustered it would be quite easy to hit the wrong response....

A little more space between the options might resolve the problem....and if you unsubscribe, how to you re-subscribe.? How DO you contact people who did NOT enter their e-mail addresses.....maybe a pop-up if you hit the "UN" button that says "please let us know how to contact you if we have any questions regarding your request"

What do you think of that FIX, Paul??

My family has also complained about so many email. They hated being informed about celebrity relationships automatically. I tried when I first joined Geni to set MY settings so as to not disturb my family with every action I took, but it turned out that every one of them has to set their own settings. Most of my family ignores or has blocked the emails and I have received irate emails here from distant family members accusing me of spamming them.

I did send out ANOTHER mass family email explaining how to turn off notifications but who knows if they saw it. Many people are simply not as computer literate as the Geni staff thinks they are. My mother took a 2 year Pro membership but has problems finding her way around Geni.

And bravo Paul Zagoridis for pointing this out. I'm surprised it hasn't come up but I think the same people -- mostly computer literate -- are in the discussions because the others have been turned off.

I can see where this could be a problem, but settings can be changed. A lot of people do not explore and check out the Geni settings. I just got 35 emails from Geni this morning, however, they were notices of people following me, updates to discussions such as this one and most importantly, merge issues which will be the next thing I work on. I am not listing these as non responsive mergers who are active. When I have those problems, I try and contact them and resolve the problem. The issue of this discussion is the ones who have not been on Geni for a year or longer. Geni says that those public profiles will be released but I am not seeing that happen.

Alex Kink - Unknown Profile

Aleksander Kink and Unknown Profile - looks same person, but he not answer any email

Bart Boon

Bart Boon, last on line jan 3, 2010 no response on asked merges

Was hoping I'd hear from you Eldon...

Does anyone know if David Wooten is still active at all??

Have sent him several G-mails with no response....he was last on Geni back in June 2010 and is crucial to an MP....I have even G-mailed both his brothers asking if he was still active...and have had no response...

Re: Private
If anyone has merge-issues with his profiles, please let me know. I have access to ALL of his profiles, as I'm both a Collaborator and an invited Family-Group member.

Of course this might require temporarily adding me to YOUR Family-Group, if you want to keep these profiles private.

Shmuel-Aharon Kam,
Geni Curator

Hi Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn) / (שמואל אהרן קם (קאן
Isn't it easier working if you become co-manager with David Robert Wooten profiles ?

Private User

Las online 2008, still waiting for a merge to happen

That is a partly closed account.

Sorry, - not a claimed profile at all, and the manager is online now, so just make your request to him.

Bjørn, Last time I checked I was not able to complete the merge, apparently some time ago the profile has been made public and -after posting here- I verified I could proceed with the merge and I'm apparently the new manager of that account.

Hi Shmuel-Aharon Kam, since I have a collaboration request pending with @david robert wooten, I must have merge issues with him.

Something strange going on with David Robert Wooten.
Shown as last online June 23, 2010 but joined 2 projects in October 2010

Who cares if someone hasn't been here for a year. That doesn't mean their profile is abandoned. They might just be otherwise occupied and figure their family is taking care of them. I really object to releasing of profiles.

Beth, Geni says that they consider no activity for a year as abandonment. The persons mentioned here are preventing merges by their inactivity. If their family was taking care of them the family should do the merges.

Well, I don't happen to think the world ends with prevent merges. Geni users have gotten merge happy.

Beth, we will have to agree to disagree. I have at least five inactive persons who control profiles of my close relatives. It would be great if these could be merged so the data was all in one profile. I have researched what I have but the others may have found data that I don't have. Their relatives may have personally known someone ho gave them information. For example, my fathers fathers 4th wife, now deceased, told me a lot about the family but now that information resides with only me. Also I have one surviving aunt who was with her grandmother when she died. I make this kind of thing public so others will know. Those who wont merge, hide this kind of data.

Eldon, well spoken, I agree with you, a lot of users are here blocking the goal of Geni for one worldwide genealogy bu their no response, no merge, no collaborate behaviour !

Like me. , I had this account for a year but it would not work for me, Fred reminded me of the site and I changed the webbrowser and it works perfect now. Saying that I do not believe I was blocking anything with the three entries I had, but sorry anyway.
Love to find a merge possibility but so far no luck, I have just under 83 people entered now, suppose not enough yet
Love the site :)

Eldon...thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...

Check the data conflicts....I have found a LOT of profiles where the conflicting info is living: false/true....then all you do is click 'false' and you have opened it to edit or merge..

Noticed some that were in ref to a reluctant person on profiles I was trying to get her to collaborate with me on...she refused..citing people merging wrongly....the people in question were born 1600-1700's so HAVE to be deceased (if not...I WANT to be related..need the good genes)..

Please note that I DID NOT create the data conflict...found it in the collaborators listing...I just RESOLVED the conflict.

Hi Henn !
One of the curators did advise me to delete my project because that kind of problems should have the possibility to be solved by curators and above that it could be insult the users of Geni, because all text also is to be seen on search engines as Google.

Showing 31-60 of 695 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion