Persons who have not been online for a year (Abandoned Trees)

Started by Eldon Lester Clark on Thursday, December 30, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 151-180 of 695 posts

David K - both of those profiles have already been reported. But I don't know by whom or when? Where they reported as spammers or as abandoned trees or as inappropriate language? Maybe these profiles were reported other than as abandoned trees? I have no way of knowing. Can I add more information about the profiles that the original reporter did not provide? No.

These issues are what http://help.geni.com/entries/507614-reporting-of-profiles is supposed to address. Please consider voting it up!

The more options button along with the request managership, add to proojects, resolve conflicts has been completely missing since April 1st and noooby will believe me - i even sent a help request in with a screen shot on Sat. so fat no reply from geni reps as to why -

i will have to ggo back through the entire Gastineau line if itever comes back up and and the profiles to my project

Judi,

First of all, I bet the entire Geni staff does not work weekends. Secondly, you can try both of these techniques to get any website to display correctly:

1.) Press Control-F5 to force your browser to re-download 100% of the elements on the page
2.) Have you tried viewing these pages you're having trouble with in Firefox or Chrome? Not only 5 times faster than IE, but they are better browsers all around. In my experience, Chrome is by far the fastest when interacting with Geni.

Judi, can you see any tree?

Alright, so I have a large number of abandoned trees I am trying to merge with, and so lets start with the fairly close relatives (or at least Geni users who are related to my close relatives)

Hopefully these people will get the email triggered by this discussion post and come back to geni, but if not I would simply like permission to merge some of the profiles managed by the following users: If you're getting this as an email, please just go here: http://www.geni.com/requests and accept the invites I have sent you to merge trees... thanks!

Private User
Private User
Private User
Peter Crawford
Ashley Spitzer
Private User
Unknown Profile
Private User
Nancy Elizabeth Stilwill-Sims

All I know is that everyone I post here seems to magically come back to Geni, so I'm going hoping this works as well as it has in the past!

I have over 300 pending suggested merges that are waiting to be accepted, and I hope this post helps!

Continuing with the large number of abandoned trees I am trying to merge with...

If you're getting this as an email, then I hope you come back and please just go here: http://www.geni.com/requests and accept the invites I have sent you to merge trees... thanks!

Private User
Shania Micheala Louise Murphy
Private User
Private User
Todd A. Sylla
XYZ DO NOT MERGE XYZ
Beckley Parker
Private User
Private User
Private User
Marilyn Frances Kent
Private
Cory Muldrow

Merging trees is very easy and saves us the work of building the same data into redundant family trees.

Here are the rest of the large number of abandoned trees I am trying to merge with...

If you're getting this as an email, then I hope you come back and please just go here: http://www.geni.com/requests and accept the invites I have sent you to merge trees... thanks!

Samanthia Louise Fusak
Katelyn Diane Lindgren
Private User
Private User
Noreen Ann Haines
Private User
Kathryn Schank
Charles Shiff
Private User
Elizabeth Cresentia Jenn
Private User
Michael Cohoon
Private User
Private User
Private User

Merging trees is very easy and saves us the work of building the same data into redundant family trees.

I am not seeing the last on date info anymore, does anyone else have that problem?

Eldon Lester Clark
I, as PRO and C, can see it for all user classes: collaborators, claimed, hafly-claimed and de-claimed.

Lauri, I am PRO so can't see what collaborators see so I cant accomplish much here.
Mike Stangel Why doesn't Geni roll back to the way things were while they resolve the multitude of problems. The law of unintended consequences is definitely at work here.

Eldon, I know the recent switch erased peoples "last online" date, but I know that the extreme majority of the people I lised here have been away for a long time, because I've been trying to get in contact with them for a long while.

I may have made a mistake or two because I can't see the "last online" date, though.

Stephen, what Geni has done makes no sense to me. I was going through the completed merges a while ago and I had five in a row that all I could see on the profile was contact manager and report. I usually try to set up merges from the profile when there are multiple parents. Not only can I not see any issues like that, I can't even look at the tree.
I guess I could pass the time removing collaboration and merge requests, but why.

Well, lets be patient, remember Geni is still a really young company, and sometimes software advancement requires steps back to add "bigger" features.

Also, it does show the "last online" message for people who have been online recently. If you don't see a "last online" then the person hasn't been online since the UI switch.

Steven, I am not going to report a person on the basis of not seeing anything. The Geni standard is, not online for a year it is abandoned. That is one reason to see everything. I don't want active links to private profiles, just the bare info is fine

I understand that there are some frustrations and what we released Wednesday certainly contained some unintended consequences. The adjustments we made on Friday are more or less the way we think it should be, in order to make good on our privacy guarantees. If other features don't work as well as a result, then either those features are overstepping their bounds and _should_ be reined in, or we'll make adjustments to those features to accomplish the intended goal. That's what we're currently evaluating.

Eldon,

Don't worry about reporting, I've already reported all but 4 or 5 of these users as abandoned trees months ago... In a few cases it was a number of months approaching a year, but not a complete year.

Part of my logic here was that I think you get a special email from geni if your profile is mentioned in a thread... an email that escapes everyone's Geni filter and actually finds their inboxes. Everyone I've posted in this thread had magically showed up within 1-2 days in the past, so that's what I was hoping for.

Mike, Thanks and keep up the great work.

Stephen, I was not referring to your list. Just to the fact that you can't tell how long it has been since someone has been online. I don't know how many I have reported but I could see how long it had been since they were logged in.

Eldon - sorry yes i was seeing the tree - I finally found the options button way up in the upper right had corner on top of the profile square - -

changes were made while i was down -

been trying to play catch up - sems likes that's all i have been doins for the last 10 years with computer problems -

i thought Geni would be a way to have a safe accountign of all lmy wok - - but right now - i find it will not gedcom down and transfer into the 2 major programs i use - Personal Ancestral file - familty Tre 16 and the new online TNG - comes up with over 24,000= errors so means GENI has some real conflicts with the GECOM standard's

back to work

Judi this is the first we've heard of compatibility problems with our GEDCOM exports. We'll investigate.

Stephan, now that I think about it. When I started this discussion and posted links, one person logged on which reset the 1 year time, then never logged on again. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it. Wish Geni would just release every tree not logged on for a year. If someone comes back after a year, as some have done, then give them co-management.

Release what, Eldon? The profiles of their parents? Their kids?

Mike, no need to throw in the kids. That sounds like a politician "Its for the children". just release anything out 3 generations. I have spent most of the day in the tree trying to merge duplicates of my daughter in laws line. The manager is non responsive and his only collaborator is non responsive and active.

Or perhaps an idea would be that for people not online in a year, just set them to "auto-accept requested merges"

That doesn't give away any of their data OR control, and lets the rest of us keep working. Just an idea.

I thought that was happening when I saw The Geni Staff or something like that as managed by for a few days. that would wok for new merge requests but what about the ones already requested?

Yea, I have 300 outstanding, pending merge requests with other users. I'd assume that if they implemented the idea I suggest, then they'd also go through and process all existing merge requests on the first day of the policy.

Stephen, I should have added that I haven't seen that Geni staff thing in weeks now. Don't know what happened

Merges requested by "The Geni Team" were a one-time thing, resulting from pending merges being converted into requested merges. I described the whole business here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/90831

We're not going to shrink the privacy umbrella from 5 generations to 3 for inactive managers -- that would be a violation of our privacy promise. Same with auto-accepting merges; that's essentially giving a potential stranger the ability to see and edit a profile that should be kept private.

Michael, thanks for the link. I knew it was somewhere in the discussions but did not find it.

Mike Stangel

I appreciate your getting stricter on privacy frankly. I don't want people to have access to close in branches of my tree and I especially don't want to betray the trust of family members whose information I input or whom I invited to Geni.

Mike StangelHere is an example of the privacy settings problem.Maj. Gen. Henry Lee, "Light Horse Harry", Governor of Virginia. There is an error in the mother. I clicked on the manager and sent a message but can't see when he was last online so he may or may not get the message. This is a merge of a historical profile which could easily be corrected but who has a way to do it?

Showing 151-180 of 695 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion