Persons who have not been online for a year (Abandoned Trees)

Started by Eldon Lester Clark on Thursday, December 30, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 241-270 of 695 posts

Well its not a big deal, it's just something I was wondering about. Also, what exactly is the purpose of the "abandoned tree project" ?

http://www.geni.com/projects/Abandoned-Tree-H%C3%BCljatud-puu

Private User I don't know how that project is supposed to work. I have never seen any news about it

I mean, it does make sense that one would want to collect abandoned trees, because adding trees to it serves to make a historical "has been abandoned since at least .... " sort of historical record.

At the time I started this discussion, the last online date was visible on all profiles. Now of course the only ones who can see them all are curators.

We still have an open enhancement ticket to send notification when reports are resolved but Customer Service. No firm release date yet, though.

Mike Stangel Thanks for the update.

What about this:
http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793?msg=744520
in connection to:
Also, what exactly is the purpose of the "abandoned tree project" ?
http://www.geni.com/projects/Abandoned-Tree-H%C3%BCljatud-puu

My cousins son asked us to join. My wife posted tree data that I do not agree with verging on true fiction. Many months later I asked about all the messages from Geni and she said it was up to me. I have been watching the abandoned subject and this is my first shot at a reply. I would have been active if someone had a family tree info that was not 200 year into the land of fiction. Sorry.

Victor Morton If you accept requests for collaboration, it is probable that your collaborators can help you correct the data.

Fay Elizabeth Dyer she is recently online.

Last activity I can see is Mar 6,2011...

Curators can see the "last online" date.

I don't understand why I am being mentioned here?

without my knowledge or permission...

Dee Ann Jakel
"why I am being mentioned here without my knowledge or permission..."
ANY Geni user can tag ANY Geni profile (both claimed and un-claimed) to ANY discussion (to where he/she has access to).

The easiest way to do it in form of [[GENI-ID-NUMBER]] where GENI-ID-NUMBER is usually long row of numbers found from profile link (i.e 6000000008126950246 means you).

Until now this ability has never been problem or privacy issue....

Dee Ann Jakel

It was mistakenly thiought that you had "Abandoned " your tree

As you see, the systen did notify you that you had been tagged, and we know that you tree is not "Abandoned ".

Sorry for the mistake

Dee and I are talking..thanks to the notification generated...many thanks.

Private User
No activity since Nov 14, 2008.

I was curious so i went back in time to Janurary 2011 when Eldon posted this:
"Randy: I should have been clearer about the purpose of this discussion. First every one of the persons listed have not been online for over a year with one exception (11 1/2 months). They are blocking merges in my immediate family (5 generations or less) I asked Geni to release them and nothing has happened. Geni help suggested that I start a discussion. This has nothing to do with historical profiles which I believe should all be public. "

I'm not any clearer on the point of this discussion thought. If a user is inactive for +12 months we still have no options to access their historical profiles if they are not public.
So why are people posting in this thread, what is the expected out come?

Alex Moes When this discussion was started, there was actually some hope that Geni would do something about releasing abandoned trees and for a while they did but never notified anyone when profiles were freed to be merged. Geni has waffled oh this issue and at present they will not release the profiles. Now they are saying the manager might come back some day (maybe 20 years or so?). So now the point of the discussion is to let people know not to waste their time on requested merges that the odds are will never happen. Maybe if enough people posted here, Geni might come up with a way to release trees for merging but if the manager came back online they would still be a manager. I think this is an issue that Geni wishes would go away. They just don't want to deal with it in a way that would benefit users working toward one tree. I would be surprised if anyone from Geni even responds to this issue.

I have come across released profiles available for merging. I believe reporting to Geni of a manager who has not signed on may be useful but an expectation of notification of released profiles may not be. They go through iterations of finding family group members and ensuring it is indeed a historic profile. But please don't quote me, this is only observation.

My connection to your world Ercia (ie the New World.. or should i say "Nieuw"?) is through some profiles that i have "taken over", i can't remember the exact details, i will have a look thru my old Geni messages and see if i can recall some more details.

Deceased Private profiles in the _very_ historic tree were rendered managerless by the Zombie script, after which it was simply a matter of claiming them.
So a very specific situation.

Untrue. They were rendered public and deceased. Management is outside zombie script parameters.

The term "claimed" in the Geni system refers to email claiming of profiles.

You claim that claim is specific to claiming of user profiles but i see no evidence to support your claim. In fact my use of claim in my previous post clearly illustrates that your claim is inaccurate.
Anyway, you know what i meant. :P

It took me a long time to understand what GENI meant by claimed:)

The core point is that the zombie script has nothing to do with managers. It is a tool (actually two tools) to correct an error in GEDCOM uploads mistakenly set to private. The explanations are in more detail on the "zombies" thread and in the Wiki under Curators and probably in other places.

My experience was that i identified some deceased private profiles in the late 1600s, i identified them to a curator who managed a close relative. He told me in private message that he had run the zombie script making them public and that i should use the Request Management" button. I did that and am manager of 11 profiles now from that family.
What the exact course of events was i have no idea, i can only explain what i experienced.

Once the script was run, making the profiles visible, whatever jobs run by Geni to determine "abandoned tree" were able to be run.

In my parts of the tree the zombie nests are pretty much cleaned out; I use " check public," profile by profile. And the abandoned trees I run across are also profile by profile. So I believe the big cleanup has been done for Anglo America.

Showing 241-270 of 695 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion