Geni Pro Just Got a Whole Lot Better

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1801-1830 of 1836 posts
Private User
4/27/2013 at 8:56 PM

Viewing the list of matches is free, as is drilling-down and viewing full records from certain free data collections such as Find-A-Grave or the 1940 Federal US census. A MyHeritage Data subscription is required to view other historical records in full, and to confirm matches. MyHeritage Data subscriptions work on both Geni and MyHeritage and also provide unlimited access to MyHeritage SuperSearch, a powerful search engine for historical records with more than 4 billion records.

** A MyHeritage Data subscription is required to view other historical records in full, and to confirm matches.**

Private User
4/27/2013 at 8:57 PM

So you can view a FREE record completely, but to confirm it and have it show up on Geni you need a subscription. I'm tired to so if you read that differently let me know.

4/27/2013 at 10:08 PM

This sounds right. For example, you get to the full FindaGrave record in 2 clicks (instead of having to search for it through FAG or google) but you'd still have to download / upload as a document in Geni to use it as a citable source.

Thanks Wendi!

Private User
4/28/2013 at 1:55 PM

I am wondering who MRA is . She for some reason is credited with entering one of my profile, which I know I enterd myself. I am the manager on but whi is she there? Just wondering!

4/28/2013 at 1:57 PM

Judy send a message (contact manager) from the profile to discuss.

4/28/2013 at 2:15 PM

Judy, a profile merge could cause what you are describing. Have you checked the Revisions tab in that profile?

Private User
4/28/2013 at 2:17 PM

No didn't know there was one. I did notice she merged a whole lot profiles. That should not be allowed to happen. Not the merge but the removal of who added it. Both names should be on there in that case.

Private User
4/28/2013 at 2:25 PM

It says she added him in 2009 and I am fairly certain I added him before that but I did leave for awhile. So maybe that's what happened. At least I am still the manager, thanks to another member helping me get some my management back, because I had a lot in there at the time of my departure. I wasn't gone that long.Now I just hang in here just out of pure stubbornness! I may have gotten a cousin interest. Maybe not we will see. i will be sure she knows the pitfuls of Geni as well as the good points.

Private User
4/28/2013 at 2:26 PM

Private User, it sets the Added By to the person that added it first. MRA added the profile to Geni before you, so she got the credit for adding it. It's a meaningless entry though - it does nothing for permission / management.

Private User
4/28/2013 at 3:25 PM

No I added to my group before I started colaborating. . I added way back while I was still doing it at the library. I printed them out too. This was before I made several moves all over the area. So it has to be by 2005. as that's when we moved from where we lived for 24 years. Then we moved again the next year and moved again the following year to here, where we have been ever since. She may have put him in but every one under him was entered by me and I entered all his wife's info way back to William the Cong, Robert the Bruce and even futher back.I then had , had enough of Geni and all it's changes and left temporally. I then came back.Now when I left I removed a lot, that only I was connected with. When I came back I added what I could back in and got someone to help me reconnect with other. If you see JL or JALM crossed out anywhere , beside my full name I am now using, that's me.Anyway ,Obviously ,she like I, knows nothing about his pedigree , since neither of us have added even his parents. I think his father I know but I have to find where I put it.I want to say Thomas Taylor but that's a maybe. I found info in the great Fire of All Hallows . Honey Lane. I now am wonder where did I put those charts. I had them in a folder. I have to hunt them down. You se that was one of the reasons I orginally started on geni. To be able to type nice neat charts up and print them.The computer could organize them , nice and neatly and I had a spell cheks, wonderfull invention! If I can find those charts, and I will locate them, if it takes me all night! Then I can pin point about when I started. You see. the print outs, then were in color and dated.

Private User
4/28/2013 at 3:25 PM

PS she may have been working on it around the same time as me. Who knows.

Private User
4/28/2013 at 3:29 PM

Oh by the way I have twenty plus years of paper records in various binders in my personel files, that I can walk over to at any given moment and pick up and go through I have 23 over flowing binders and then there's all the stuff in folders and just lose and the hand made charts. The really big on a roll of white wrapping paper ,that I have to keep revising.And beleave it or not it's easier for me to follow everything doing it old school, then on this system.Besides , always good to have a back up!

Private User
4/28/2013 at 3:31 PM

Jeff , my newer stuff is the lline and lines that connect me to you and a lot of people in Canada!

Private User
4/28/2013 at 3:40 PM

Private User, your current profile has only been active since Dec 2011. So any profile created prior to that point will display another added by person.

Private User
4/28/2013 at 4:20 PM

Ya current one but I was here before, which is what i said. As i left for awhile. I can't find the really old ones from the library, they were black and white. I forgot our library didn't do color.I think either they are buried here or when I did the large charts over again i may have decided I didn't need the, stupid me. I have all my tax returns, in fact they are taking up too much room and I need a binder to organize them. Really only need seven years of them. I have a bin of canceled checks that i would throw out if I had a shredder to shred them.I finally a few years ago dumped all my pay stubs from 1971, the year my son was born.I know i have years of them here but maybe only 10 years. I do have the colored ones that I print off here when finally got a printer to go with new computer. That was 2009. Before that I spent hours at the library using there access to Geni/.I could kick myself for dumping them! That's what i get for weeding things out. and consolidating. But I needed the room.Otherwise I'd be a hoarder and you'd see me on TV.I am going to start weeding again. I just might come across it. Well at least I found the others.Well. it's time to revamp the big paper roll chart again anyway. I am not totally crazy. I just happen to like making charts and fitting everyhting in the right place.It's a big way relieving stress. Some people meditate ( that makes me more stressed) aromatherapy doesn't work either ., the smells make me sick,and classical music is the pits, but making charts , drawing , anything artsy, and genealogy relaxes me! Enjoy a good hunt, even if it's not my tree.

Private User
4/28/2013 at 10:51 PM

Private User - "Added By" is not a totally meaningless entry - if due to a merge, a profile you added changes to Added By someone else, the number of profiles you Added - as shown in your statistics - also goes down -- and that number is used to determine how many profiles can be included in a Gedcom Export you do.

Private User
4/29/2013 at 8:55 AM

Thank you Lois, that's what I figured but was just wondering.

Private User
4/29/2013 at 9:01 AM

@Lois: Ya, I expect that might be correct, but they do have other metrics for "profile.add" which are incremental, so I'm not sure.

Private User
4/29/2013 at 3:48 PM

Hmmmm!!!!

Private User
4/29/2013 at 8:34 PM

On a previous page, Jill Anne Bogdanowicz-Wilson asked: "If I confirm a match, can other collaborators who do not have memberships to geni & MH see that info? Down the road if I don't rejoin MH will I be able to see the matches & info from MH attached to those profiles?"

The answers were positive, but I think some people may be missing a key point made later by Erica Howton "you'd still have to download / upload as a document in Geni to use it as a citable source"

Confirming a MH match and using the MH match as a source only allows the full document to be seen by those with a MH data subscription.

As far as I can tell, if you approve a record match on say a newspaper article and later you don't have an MH data subscription you won't be able to follow that same match to see the full article. To allow the full article to be visible on Geni to those without MH data subscription you need to upload the full article directly onto the Geni profile, and not just rely on the MH match.

Private User
4/30/2013 at 1:26 AM

So basicly only a certain few will get much use out of thid, Cough up the money or else, not much. Like I said Not much use to some!

Private User
4/30/2013 at 1:43 AM

Judith - I think the way it is currently configured, everyone can get benefit from the new functionality. For example, if the new matches enable tree building, we all benefit from that.

Plus there can be value in some of what you can see in the matches even before hitting the MH paywall. Again all benefit from that.

Those who have a data subscription will be able to research more than those who don't. This has always also been the case with ancestry etc. Nothing new there.

My post was intended to try to discuss how to optimise the benefit further, by continuing to share full source documents on Geni, which is not new functionality, rather than only accepting MH matches.

Private User
4/30/2013 at 1:51 AM

Not much for me. Most of what's popping up on my list of people I already have and little use to me. If I could get into the newspapers that would be nice. Maybe a trip into the Boston library to see how to connect my seldom used library card up with internet will allow me to get into some things. I have tried using their newspaper collections but it's hard to see on their viewer. I rarely go in Boston and up until a few days ago , because of the bombings i couldn't get back into that area. They just re-opened it a few days ago. Boy am I glad I don't work in that area anymore. Must still be a little uneasy down there. I use to walk in the Copley Sq. area a lot during lunch brake. I am glad the Copley St Church is ok. It's not only very historic but a beautiful church both outside and inside. Judy

4/30/2013 at 5:58 AM

So what do you do when someone 'confirm's' multiple records from MH that conflict regarding such MINOR things as date and place of birth etc..

Private User
4/30/2013 at 6:13 AM

Fay - where there are known websites with mistakes, I tend to make a note on the Geni profile saying what those mistakes are - clearly saying that they are mistakes.

While some MH trees are probably quite good and well researched, a lot just haven't had the peer review that Geni gets. Some are GEDCOM exports from Geni that contained mistakes that have since been corrected on Geni; others may be school projects, or guesses, or simply work in progress.

Private User
4/30/2013 at 6:18 AM

I can see both negative and positive aspects of these changes, but in response to Fay's most recent comment (above) I would say, as with all discrepancies in profiles, good communication is the key.

If someone is not very sharp with their matches (or profile entry) we can always contact them, other managers or the curators of the system to resolve it.

Annoying, but not the end of the world, and certainly not something we haven't all had to deal with before the changes happened either!

I have had to split trees before, and no doubt will again. The key is working together and that hopefully, the mass of good genealogists will be able to help the few who struggle to get it right!

4/30/2013 at 6:32 AM

Private User - well said :)

On a Big tree OR separate tree with # of active users - Information Quality - is Enhanced via collaboration, group view, profile discussions, etc.

4/30/2013 at 6:44 AM

My question was in regard to 1 individual who 'confirmed' multiples on the same profile where the data contradicted the Geni profile....and I DID contact the Geni user...

Shouldn't the Geni user have 'declined' the wrong data files? And notified the managers of those files?

It matters a lot that the 'confirmed' files have the profile born in 2 different countries.

Private User
4/30/2013 at 6:57 AM

We will see incorrect data in the other trees, but if it is the same person, same family and it's just clear the other person's information is bad, then I'd confirm the match and send the other person a note that their information looks wrong. Don't mark the profile as a source or anything, but otherwise it's just another tree match that can be compared. Sometimes it is good to see the trees with bad information as well to compare and contrast with what is correct.

4/30/2013 at 7:01 AM

Problem is that the Geni user is on MH, and I am not....I follow the Geni profile/s in question.

Showing 1801-1830 of 1836 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion