Geni Pro Just Got a Whole Lot Better

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 241-270 of 1836 posts

If you will read what I said...Geni is available for NON-Geni people.....the general public....at Libraries....

Where it DID have a good enough reputation to be used along side with Ancestry and LDS records...also available to the GENERAL public.

Could a Danish user which have a credit card contact Marion and offer your help if she wants to be a Pro user?
You can use your creditcard and send her a Pro subscription as a gift and let her send you the money using a national bank transfer to your account.

"Could a Danish user which have a credit card contact Marion and offer your help if she wants to be a Pro user?"

The Norwegians who think they are half Danish could help as well. What about yourself Brox? or Nygård?

Hi Fay i Planned to sign up for the library computer classes once I find out just what classes they teach and when. Our library as well as most who are connected by the same system does carry Geni. That's I started with it. However the Lynnfield Library is on a totally diferent system. Why i don't know . All the other ones make you use your library card to get onto the computer and you get no more then two hours.Then they kick you off right in the middle of what you are doing. They are all connected, which caused a problem when became no longer an accredited library. Only three libraries in the area would allow anyone from Saugus to use them.Lynn, Salem , and Beverly and oh yes Boston, but who in their right mind would take expensive transportation into Boston to get a book or use a computer. Nor would they drive in. Then Lynn decided no more saugus. Lynnfield however, you didn't need a card to get in so one could use them. If you knew about the difference. Now today this year we are back to normal.We are accredit open all hours ,computers have been returned to the library( yes , they removed them for awhile. ) We also lost our director. Had only a temp one. Finally got a new one and she found out the accounted had been cooking the books plus she had done this before and had been in jail for 21 months for mail fraud and Ins fruad and had to pay back 1oo thousand dollars. Worst yet I went to school with her and up until a few weeks ago when this episode happened liked her. We in the class of "64' ar a bit surprised. Back to Lynnfield , still go there because of their Gen. Room and the fact that you do not have to sign into the computer and you can copy and only take what you need. However, they do not include in their list of gen .sites ,geni . At one time they did but not any more. You can type it in and get it but it's not in their list. Roots, Ancestry , The Essex Gen Soc all are among others. So not all libraries have geni. For what reason i don't know. Through all this drama I still managed to do my reseach. That's the one thing all the libraries with gen rooms still allowed us into. Of couse now we can go anywhere we want but it was crazy for about two years.

Henry some people don't have computers. That's why they use the library , which when i started on Geni i didn't. now we have one but we share it . so some times I can't use the one at home plus many libraries have gen rooms where you can acturally open a book for free and photo what you want for a small fee. It is the orginal way to do research and it is still good way.

henry PS in some libraries you can access their computers from home with just your library card number. Although the computer is one way to research their are many other outlets that should not be ignored.

Private User, - you missed the point: Finding a solution when you don't have an option to send money other than within the same country.

Det er blevet en underlig samtale denne ,
og
som de fleste kan tænke
hvorfor har hun ingen dankort

det skyldes

min kørestol.

når jeg kommer i en butik, skal jeg aflever kort + kode

Der hvor jeg bor og handler er alle terminaler til betaling
i en højde som det er umuligt at nå , som siddende i kørestol,

og det er ud fra os med dette problem jeg slås for vores ret til også at kunne være med

Dog er jeg ret sikke på, at få tænker på at ville aflever deres kode til , indehaver af en butik for at handle ,

I have several profiles with my name as manager and also NO Name as manager. How did that happen and maybe that's why I am haven't problem besides all this Pro foolishness

How many of us are well set money wise to be ging away free pro memberships. i think not many?

For some people it is the only access they have to a computer. I have worked both at home and the library and no problem with either. Yes if you have a membership you can get into ancestry and without one you an get into ancestry library in some libraries, Roots is available and The Saints site is there and heritage quest. Plus you can find digital photos of area you are in and other towns. Plus they have vitals that you can take several out at a time/ Lay them out on a table and jump around in them all at the same time. Yes the kids can be annoying that's why you go when they aren't there and some times you get beside a smelly person. They also have depending on the library a lot of Gen. Books. there again you pull several at time and work using all of them at once. I multi task a lot. I work better that way. it's not for everyone but at least if I need help with the computer someone might be able to help me. often it's more convent and effective to access the real books. That's why we have choices, to choose from. Different strokes for diferent folks.

When you use your library card via the computer you have to put your card number in and then go to what you want to access in the library. I don't think you would lose members that a pros . As far as force people to become Pro s Isn't that what Geni is trying to do. You can't merge any more. Every-time you try it bounces you to a membership screen. You say no and ir refuses to let merge. A lot of mine I can't add info because we are not members. I swear if I had money to throw around I'd join just to have access to remove everything . Don't
worry not going to do that but I'd like to! I'm not that spiteful! PS
There are so many good Gen rooms you can go to and acturally touch the documents . You can't do that with a computer. I found a letter written in 1762 by Benjamin Parker, my direct ancestor to Timorty orne , his new brother in law. They let me hold it and then they photoed the letter and envelope for me. The only reference to that letter on the computer was in the orne family papers index. You had to go Salem, Ma to get it.

You can get probate on the computer but you have to know what you are looking for and have all the info on hand to pull it up and then if you want you have to send for it. Don't you think it's easier if in the area you just go to your deeds and probate office. go through books. You might find something you weren't looking for but needed in the end. You photo it for 25 cents unless the price has gone up and you go home. Plus you have human contact! So don't knock the libraries and other venues. No one is making you use them.

PS as far as travel time goes in my case my local library is two miles way. I can walk there if I had too. The rest are a longer trip. Maybe tops eight miles. Big deal. Go to a store that gives gas point like I do . When you have enough to make it worth your while tank up. I saved $1.40 a gal the other day. I know how to work the system so I can buy less but get way more points in a month. I've had more than that on occasion. Only buy what I need but sometimes it really works out. Maybe I am luckier then most of you. I live in saugus. I can go to Wakefield , Melrose , Lynn, Marblehead, Salem.Beverly in a matter of a few minutes up to a half hour. No longer. I can make it down to Plymouth and Barnstable in an hour and half maybe longer. Only been there a couple of times. perfer going North. Kittery, Me., Portsmouth, N.H., about an hour.No big deal. Nice drive if you go the long way via the ocean view, and I go by myself. Our library is supose to be starting up a gen group made up of the people who took a series classes from a professional Genealogist. So far with mess sown there right hasn't happened. thanks to my former classmate.

Curator please I just received an e mail from No Name calling himself or her self Nune of you business spelled differently. It was not nice. I nice contacted this person to find out why I am locked out my profiles that personally put in and am now no longer allowed to enter other profiles this includes my four times great grandparents. I am very upset .

Judith forward me the email privately. Of course you retain access to your profiles.

Erica I am having a serious problem with some who just contacted me under the guise of Nunya Business also know as NO Name on all my profiles that only I put in. Came close to threatening me. It is my business . They are my profiles , which I would share if asked and if system would let merge and work on them, but it won't. I contacted No Name awhile ago and basicly said what I just said and said fix all all of them. That's all I said. very short and that was it. Does geni allow people like this to try to threaten people. Because now I feel threatened.

Unknown Profile

I totally understand. Can you forward me the mails? That way I can make sure you have access to your profiles as a very first step, right now. Then we'll it from there.

Erica Howton judith as i am as well concerned i have his name on several of my profiles have not had any contact with him and have left him alone for good reason if it's the person i think it is. look under charles post (founder of post cereal company and you'll find him there...

erica, in his no name form when i knew him if that's who i think it is that is annoying my 10th cousin twice removed (judith) .. he had this on his bio for which i left him alone because part of what he said is true i've had my share of them on here and I qoute "I have resigned as a curator at Geni.com and have cut my usage of Geni drastically due to the incessant drama, blatant naming convention battles (people adding dates and titles in the naming fields, folks changing last names to Married names without documents of a surname change, people constantly changing Master Profiles without consulting the curator first) and negative energy by users with name-calling, people who delete my stuff, rude emails, stalkers, etc. If for any reason you need a curator to help you out, please find one at http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Curators_on_Geni

If you follow me and we were never friends or collaborators, you will be blocked. I'm not interested in being followed either!"

oh and the post ceral company guy who's name he now holds the title over along with 2 others is my 13th cousin twice removed so i am in the same boat as judith basicly with out the threats that she speaks of

Sounds like someone who's saying clearly, please contact a curator for assistance. And I quite agree, curators are glad to help.

I need links to find profiles, or name and dates. It's very hard on me to search the database of 58 million profiles otherwise.

k hang on a sec and i'll pull up the one for my 13th cousin twice removed so you can have a polite chat with him about how to treat people better not that i think it will do any good..
c.w post ("charles" would be here Charles William Post

got the impression he didn't want to be "crapped on" and i don't blame him.. dunno what judith did to set him off but i avoided him and respected his wishes

Michael I didn't crap on him. All I did was ask who he was and expain I had orginally put the profiles in and like you were having problems and Fix it. I mean who write as manage No Name or contacts a person as Nunya Business? It is my business. If he had asked me for mergers I probably would have merged. Never asked to be manager under either of those names so I have no clue. who he is or how he got there. Like I said before if Historical of course other people will get invoved. Other wise my personel family tree is up to me if I want to share management. It's out there and anyone can loojk at it. Who cares but this person as far I know is not a direct family member. No is really interested in my personel line except me.That's why everyone turned everything they had over to me to keep track of the family. The remaining living family not interested at this time. Anyway that's it in a nut shell.

Erica how do I send over his email from my personel emails, on Geni. I must need your address.

i understand completely... what you are saying about your tree being under your own management... it was under mine until they pulled that and forced me to co-exist with pros (some good some bad and like you've found some nasty and ugly!)

Ok Erica and anyone else involved this is how it read " EXCUSE ME? Keep your demands to yourself . If you want to merge your profiles with MINE then ask a curator, otherwise. YOU DON'T Own my profiles or thee is no such thing as NO NAME. I can be whomever, I want. For YOUR benefit I put some letters in my name NONE of your business. He sent this under Nunya Business.
1. I never suggested we merge nor did I ask to be a co manager but somehow NO NAME i s my co manager.What can I say? It's right there in black and white!
2. I never said his profiles were mine. I said I had put all these profiles myself and I was and am manager.
3.No Name must be a name for someone since it's on the profiles.
4.Yes, if you wish to be incognito go right ahead.
5. Since I did originally enter the profiles all by myself and they are my personel family it is my business.
6. All I want to do is be able to add more profiles. Is that a crime?
Now he didn't threaten me but he made me feel threatened.

PS I have contacted Curator and Erica.

yikes..

Showing 241-270 of 1836 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion